IGNORED

River Raid causes "erratic thinking"

AtariLeaf

Was looking through some more history on some of my favorites and found something that perhaps many of you knew but I didn't: The German Federal Department for Writings Harmful to Young Persons put it on a kind of index of harmful games in 1984 siting these reasons:

"Minors are intended to delve into the role of an uncompromising fighter and agent of annihilation (...). It provides children with a paramilitaristic education (...). With older minors, playing leads (...) to physical cramps, anger, aggressiveness, erratic thinking (...) and headaches."

Ok, I can buy the hand cramps, anger (hey I wanna beat my high score), and sure you could get headaches staring at any screen for too long but "erratic thinking"? LOL, I found that amusing. I never played River Raid or any game and found it hard to get my thoughts together. If anything the concentration sharpened my young mind.

BTW, if River Raid provides you with a "para-militaristic education", the German military is SCREWED if they have to go war again. :D

1985 the Bundesprueffstelle in Germany decided to introduce a rating in where violent games were put on an index. River Raid was on of the first to be put on this index, meaning it was not allowed to be sold to minors anymore, it was no more allowed to be advertised in shops or magazines either. Gangster Alley was not put on this index, killing innocent hostages were still ok to be shot.

They're a bunch of idiots sitting at this place making those decisions.

Edited by high voltage

Well it is erratic to think that you refuel a plane that way.

At least you don't blow the fuel up to refuel like in Scramble, Caverns/Conquest of Mars, and Super Cobra. ;)

No its even better. You can put the brakes on, fuel up as much as possible, then blow it up for points.

Its the grandfather of Grand Theft Auto.

• Like 1

1985 the Bundesprueffstelle in Germany decided to introduce a rating in where violent games were put on an index. River Raid was on of the first to be put on this index, meaning it was not allowed to be sold to minors anymore, it was no more allowed to be advertised in shops or magazines either. Gangster Alley was not put on this index, killing innocent hostages were still ok to be shot.

My theory is that since its Germany and their reputation during world war II was less than stellar, they might be a little sensitive about war games like River Raid. Maybe Carol Shaw should have stuck to her guns and made it a space game after all :D

Edited by AtariLeaf

I am curious which Germany this was (East or West)?

Another moral panic. I guess this makes about as much sense as Custer's Revenge turning kids into sex offenders. But, then again, it's easy for us to poke fun through the lens of time.... maybe some games, being new, really were sensational.

Another moral panic. I guess this makes about as much sense as Custer's Revenge turning kids into sex offenders. But, then again, it's easy for us to poke fun through the lens of time.... maybe some games, being new, really were sensational.

I can see myself now. 20 years from now, I might very well be pulling out GTA IV at a party, and me and my friends laughing at how people thought it would turn kids homicidal :roll: .

Anybody want in at this party in 2031?

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

My theory is that since its Germany and their reputation during world war II was less than stellar, they might be a little sensitive about war games like River Raid. Maybe Carol Shaw should have stuck to her guns and made it a space game after all :D

But then we would be living in a world full of aggressive erratic thinking space Nazis!!

post-28856-0-39052900-1306234366_thumb.jpg

West of course.

By that time, the VCS was still considered too high-tech to be allowed to be exported behind the iron curtain. :D

Where did you grow up Tom? Where was the East with home computing and that kind of stuff? I also asked the question because it's my understanding that East Germany was a bit more pacifist; I believe it never participated in any type of military action during it's 40 or so years.

Where did you grow up Tom? Where was the East with home computing and that kind of stuff? I also asked the question because it's my understanding that East Germany was a bit more pacifist; I believe it never participated in any type of military action during it's 40 or so years.

West Germany.

And East Germany was not pacifist by far. They had combat groups in every factory, schools had military lessons, the army was on alarm 24/7 (most of the West German soldiers were send home for the weekends :)) and last not least people trying to escape the country were shot etc. pp.

But since it was cold war times, both sides were keeping each other in check.

West Germany.

And East Germany was not pacifist by far. They had combat groups in every factory, schools had military lessons, the army was on alarm 24/7 (most of the West German soldiers were send home for the weekends :)) and last not least people trying to escape the country were shot etc. pp.

But since it was cold war times, both sides were keeping each other in check.

The DDR sounds like it would have been a rather pleasant place to grow up... ;)

Hahahahaha! Man, this reminds me of Wertham and the comic book scare back in the 50s. What a load of crap. I mean, I get it, EC Comics had some scary and gruesome shit, who doesn't remember the broken neck cover or the syringe to the eyeball panel? But, he then goes off about how Superman teaches improper laws of physics and Wonderwoman is too much of a man and it might hurt boys' sense of manliness. What a load of shit. At least the public didn't let it go that far.