IGNORED

Looking for Atari 8000 XL OS Sources

JAC!

Um.. I have access to a 50 sheet scanner.... and it has some (albeit poor) OCR capabilities. I think postage would be a lot less than staples.

Bob, if this is something you would consider doing, I can pay for return shipping of the doc.

I'm really surprised this code isn't sitting on one of those floppies of yore when the Parallel 1050 project was going on on CompuServe.. way back when.

Karl

I think we're good on the XL OS, aren't we?

I wish we had the 1050 source code. I've never seen that...

Yes, the parallel 1050.

I'm going to do a 1050 to CF/IDE one of these days. Self-contained. Plug your CF card into the 1050, read the diskette (really, really fast), and write it to the CF card as a partition on the card. After you finish a stack of diskettes, plug the CF card into the interface on your system. That's the nice thing about the 810/1050 - they are 6502-based. We already have the IDE/CF code for the 6502. Just need a track ripper for the diskette. Even the hardware is the same, for the most part.

Bob

Um.. I have access to a 50 sheet scanner.... and it has some (albeit poor) OCR capabilities. I think postage would be a lot less than staples.

Bob, if this is something you would consider doing, I can pay for return shipping of the doc.

I'm really surprised this code isn't sitting on one of those floppies of yore when the Parallel 1050 project was going on on CompuServe.. way back when.

Karl

Has anyone contacted the owner of this site: http://members.chello.nl/taf.offenga/atari_dev.htm about the osroms36 package that has the Revision information taken from REV2 source code and its not truncated? Its the same blurb that appears in the FAQ: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/section-60.html I ask because the date portion for Revision 1 is filled in as 03/11/83 and might have been taken from actually looking at a non-truncated document.

I have, in text format, a couple files I acquired a long time ago which appear to be an OS listing from 1984 - consisting of two files, OS.ASM which is the OS listing and PATCH.ASM which has a couple patches for various bugs. Here's the header for this OS listing if it's something people are interested in:

TITLE   'OS - Operating System'
       SUBTTL  ' '
       LIST    -F,-M

SPACE   4,10
***     Copyright 1984 ATARI.  Unauthorized reproduction, adaptation,
*       distribution, performance or display of this computer program
*       or the associated audiovisual work is strictly prohibited.
       SPACE   4,10
***     OS - Operating System
*       NOTES
*               This source is currently being refined.  Areas which
*               need work are indicated by question marks ("???").
*       MODS
*               Revision A (400/800)
*               D. Crane/A. Miller/L. Kaplan/R. Whitehead???    ??/??/??
*               Revision B (400/800)
*               Fix several problems.
*               M. Mahar/R. S. Scheiman???      ??/??/??
*               Revision 10 (1200XL)
*               Support 1200XL, add new features.
*               H. Stewart/L. Winner???
*               R. S. Scheiman/Y. M. Chen/M. W. Colburn 10/26/82
*               Revision 11 (1200XL)
*               R. S. Scheiman  12/23/82
*               Revision 1 (600XL/800XL)
*               Support PBI and on-board BASIC.
*               R. S. Scheiman/R. K. Nordin/Y. M. Chen  03/11/83
*               Revision 2 (600XL/800XL)
*               R. S. Scheiman  05/10/83
*               Bring closer to Coding Standard (object unchanged).
*               R. K. Nordin    11/01/83
*               Revision 3 (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
*               Fix MAXDEV, problems resulting from CRASS65 version,
*               initial address for RAM sizing, "Boot Error" message,
*               initial address for cartridge equivalence checksum,
*               mishandling of SIO NAK, initializing of CHKSUM, and
*               initialization of PORTB.
*               R. K. Nordin    03/27/84
*               Revision 3, Version 2 (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
*               Dedicate PDVI ($D1FF) to external parallel device IRQ status
*               Dedicate IPDVI ($D1CF) to internal parallel device IRQ status
*               Using PDIMSK ($0249) for external parallel device IRQ selection mask
*               Using IPDIMK ($0254) for internal parallel device IRQ selection mask
*               After masking (PDVI, PDIMSK) & (IPDVI, IPDIMK), OR the result
*               together, piror to processing parallel device IRQ
*               On cold start, initialize PDVI = 0, to avoid potential
*               checksum error.
*               Y. T. JANG, V. WU       02/22/84
*               Revision 3, Version 3  (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
*               Dedicate the 11 bytes at ACMVAR ($3ED-$3F7) for use as
*               a RESET routine area.  On warmstart, the OS will JSR
*               to ACMVAR immediately after initializing hardware.
*               MIKE BARALL             06/08/84
*               Revision 3, Version 4  (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
*               Make CIO accept device number 0 (like Rev B did).
*               MIKE BARALL             06/21/84
*               Revision 4, Version 0 (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
*               Add support for SIO fast mode (38400 baud).
*               Add resident Help Text Viewer.
*               Remove Peripheral Handler Loading Facility.
*               MIKE BARALL             07/16/84
*               Revert to Rev. B device handlers (E:, C:, P:, S:, K:),
*               (with bug fixes) to eliminate need for Translator.
*               Remove parallel I/O support.
*               Fix keyboard display in self-test.
*               MIKE BARALL & VINCENT WU        09/04/84

I haven't tried building it or using it (it doesn't include PBI routines which is a bit of a bummer), but it seems like an interesting/useful bit of history regardless, and I know it's been super-useful to me when writing CIO and SIO code, to actually see what goes on in the OS. I'll put it up somewhere if anyone is interested.

It's hard to tell if something is rare or 'lost'. There is no central storage for all things Atari, only places like AA where everything is distributed with the members. Even then, I don't know what I have, exactly, or what others have.

Bob

dmlloyd, this listing is available for years - it's the prortotype OS rev. 5.

Okay, just wanted to make sure I wasn't sitting on something that was lost.

It's hard to tell if something is rare or 'lost'. There is no central storage for all things Atari, only places like AA where everything is distributed with the members. Even then, I don't know what I have, exactly, or what others have.

Bob

i started to make a central repository for non-game related doc's/books/manuals, but the issue is AA limit of file size and type makes it difficult... i have tried to get others to help and send me docs in single file format (compressed or uncompress), and no one had really done that either... that what my directory on my site was started as, even got a friend to make nice graphic 'bookshelf' for it, but i havnt had time to assemble the docs myself...

sloopy.

i started to make a central repository for non-game related doc's/books/manuals, but the issue is AA limit of file size and type makes it difficult... i have tried to get others to help and send me docs in single file format (compressed or uncompress), and no one had really done that either... that what my directory on my site was started as, even got a friend to make nice graphic 'bookshelf' for it, but i havnt had time to assemble the docs myself...

sloopy.

Do you have an upload link to send PDF's, ETC... to? :cool:

sloopy.

Do you have an upload link to send PDF's, ETC... to? :cool:

not anymore... no one contacted me before about sending files...

sloopy.

It needs to be institutionalized. One or two Atari folks aren't stable enough to build the required critical mass, really. A corporation, rather than a partnership...

How could we do that? Someone is going to get run over by a truck and their Atari Stuff is going into the dumpster, never to be seen again. Hardware, software, and docs...

What would your heirs do with your stuff? Where could they go with it? Who could they contact?

If we had the infrastructure, donated collections could be sold and the funds used to support the project. People are always popping up on AA looking to 'get into' Atari 8-bits. We send them to E-Bay...??

Bob

Bob

sloopy.

It needs to be institutionalized. One or two Atari folks aren't stable enough to build the required critical mass, really. A corporation, rather than a partnership...

How could we do that? Someone is going to get run over by a truck and their Atari Stuff is going into the dumpster, never to be seen again. Hardware, software, and docs...

What would your heirs do with your stuff? Where could they go with it? Who could they contact?

If we had the infrastructure, donated collections could be sold and the funds used to support the project. People are always popping up on AA looking to 'get into' Atari 8-bits. We send them to E-Bay...??

Bob

Bob

sloopy.

my atari stuff is the only thing i have of value :')

mrs knows how to get the contact info of three fellow and friend atari users, and has access to my USB thumb drives with all my account info (from atari age up to my bank accounts)...

so both of us would have to die... for it to be harder to disperse my stuff... but i have done this cause i am a diabetic, with health issues, and things can happen...

(yeah my wife was skeezed out by it at first, but finally accepted fact we are not permenant...)

sloopy.

You know what's sad...

During the short time I worked with Tom Harker of ICD, I saw volumes of restricted Atari related documentation. He had bookshelves of that stuff. He also had some unreleased lab-loaner equipment, including things like an 800XL motherboard with space for 128K. I heard that when he abandoned the building he was in, the city took it over and it all went to the dump. When you combine that with all the ICD stuff that Mike Hohman bought and lost when he couldn't pay the storage on it, it's a staggering loss.

Most of what I heard that Mike lost in storage was pallets of manuals and such - not completely verified.

Not all of the ICD/OSS/Fte stuff is lost...

Bob

You know what's sad...

During the short time I worked with Tom Harker of ICD, I saw volumes of restricted Atari related documentation. He had bookshelves of that stuff. He also had some unreleased lab-loaner equipment, including things like an 800XL motherboard with space for 128K. I heard that when he abandoned the building he was in, the city took it over and it all went to the dump. When you combine that with all the ICD stuff that Mike Hohman bought and lost when he couldn't pay the storage on it, it's a staggering loss.

Hey Bob,

I was just thinking... I wonder why so few of the guys from the early days have shown up on Atari boards. It seems like we'd have a few more if only to wax nostalgic. When I look at all the names of the guys from Antic, ANALOG, the A8 devs, the online services, I wonder how many of them know there's even an 8-bit scene. Do you have any good stories about people you met back in the day, and is there anyone you still keep in touch with who could be persuaded to come by and talk about old times?

I used to talk to John Harris, but I lost touch years ago.

I feel it's almost a crime that a lot of the ICD confidential stuff was lost.

Bryan, regarding the old day guys, and speaking about ICD. I said several times it is so sad that we never heard about Mike Gustafson. He was the technical mind behind most ICD products (Sparta Dos, MIO, USD, etc), and even the older CHIP/Archiver stuff by Spartan. He might even have kept some of the "hot" stuff.

Bill Wilkinson was a neat guy to talk to. Met him a couple of times. Jeff Potter is around. Mike Hohman and I have the same birthday but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Steve Carden is up here somewhere... He knows everybody.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I was just thinking... I wonder why so few of the guys from the early days have shown up on Atari boards. It seems like we'd have a few more if only to wax nostalgic. When I look at all the names of the guys from Antic, ANALOG, the A8 devs, the online services, I wonder how many of them know there's even an 8-bit scene. Do you have any good stories about people you met back in the day, and is there anyone you still keep in touch with who could be persuaded to come by and talk about old times?

I used to talk to John Harris, but I lost touch years ago.