Jump to content
ScumSoft

EggVenture 2600 (Beta testing feedback WIP)

Recommended Posts

On 1/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You are more than welcome.

Thank you! Right now, I'm working on converting your demo into a batari Basic example in case that will be helpful to others. I must admit that the Neg16 routine has me completely baffled, both in purpose and the actual assembly itself. Any chance you could explain how that routine works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I must admit that the Neg16 routine has me completely baffled, both in purpose and the actual assembly itself. Any chance you could explain how that routine works?

;---------------------------------------------------------------
Neg16 SUBROUTINE
;---------------------------------------------------------------
    clc
    lda     $00,x
    eor     #$ff
    adc     #1
    sta     $00,x
    lda     #$01,x
    eor     #$ff
    adc     #0
    sta     #$01,x
    rts

The method converts a 16 bit number into a negative 16 bit number.

 

It inverts the bits and does a necessary correction of one. This is necessary because e.g. $00 xor $ff is $ff, but it should be $00. So we have to correct by +1.

 

The X register is used as index to the variables which have to be inverted. So the same code can be used to invert e.g. the x-speed and the y-speed, just by changing X.

 

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if something is still unclear.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if something is still unclear.

I think I get it now. Sometimes I forget that all symbols are the same in DASM, and using the numeric address of a variable as an offset had me scratching my head for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

   lda #$01,x

   eor #$ff

   adc #0

   sta #$01,x

One last question (I think). Why is there a "#" when loading and saving the high byte of the variable here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey get a room you two!

j/k

It would probably be better to split the thread where Thomas posted his example to it's own thread.

 

This is my thread for game updates after all. Speaking of which:

The next build will be posted later this weekend with fixes to many of the issues mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game has been updated to RC4 build, first post updated with changes.

 

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Enjoy Everyone!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think the bouncing is an improvement, but I seem to have more trouble getting airborne in this version. Not sure if the difference is in my imagination, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The improved bouncing makes a big difference. 

Yeah it worked out ok, didn't have to change much puzzle logic wise to compensate.

 

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

I also think the bouncing is an improvement, but I seem to have more trouble getting airborne in this version. Not sure if the difference is in my imagination, though.

Chickens cannot fly is the logic behind this, so Quackers resorts to some tricks to make it happen.

Try holding fire and holding up on the joystick/d-pad to gain upwards momentum. You can also bounce a bit to get started or use the Powerflap for the initial upward boost.

 

Sometimes if the angle and velocity is high you will still get some backward bounces, but not too often.

This will be the last update for a little while, I have some other projects I got started on. I'll prioritize fixing any game breaking issues if any are found though.

 

Thanks for checking out the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScumSoft said:

Chickens cannot fly is the logic behind this, so Quackers resorts to some tricks to make it happen.

Try holding fire and holding up on the joystick/d-pad to gain upwards momentum. You can also bounce a bit to get started or use the Powerflap for the initial upward boost.

I understand that, but I was wondering if this has changed between versions at all? It seems like it was more difficult for me this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be the same, I halved the fire buttons flap velocity and added it into the joystick/D-pad up direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...