IGNORED

Tiger game.com

This thread prompted me to get out and play my game.com. I think mine's sick. It turned off at the Scrabble title screen, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It then let me play a full game of Scrabble, which I won by 2 points. At the end screen, it bit the dust, long enough to let me know about and relish my win. After a few times of trying and retrying of plugging it in and out and getting an unresponsive DATA FOUND screen, I finally got it to go to the menu. I'm wondering if something may be wrong with my AC cord.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an extra game.com game I don't need, and I was just wondering if the ability exists yet to where I ship my extra game.com game to someone and they put in the Wheel of Fortune 2 ROM in the cartridge. That way I would have a complete game.com collection, because it looks like I'm never going to get WoF 2.

I was one of the few freaks that actally liked the game.com. Yes, there WERE good games for it (most the puzzles, arcade types, and a few random others) The problem was, the games that stank really reaked, and most people were just buying big name games (often console games) and expecting them to keep up with the SNES/Genesis or 64/PSX.

For what the game.com was capable of, it did really well, but there were so many games shoehorned into it that had no business being on it, especially with their early 80's style LCD screen that only had shades of gray because it would refresh parts more often than others (I don't know how often it refreshed, but I bet having to do it up to four times killed the framerate of games, if it was as fast as 60hz, and I don't think it was, it would be knocked down to 15 because of the way the shading was done....or the game would really break up. People forget about games like Resident Evil (which was awesome btw) and concentrate on the games like Sonic (which was technically playable, but just not fun in any real way)

Personally, like I said, puzzles, the built in games, and a few big names were OK to great, but the ones that were bad somehow outweighed them. If you really think about it, about half the library is worth owning, and probably a quarter are good, which is considerably better than most consoles/handhelds of the day. And it's a small enough collection you could probably 100% the whole thing quiet easily. To bad they didn't pursue it a bit further, I would have liked to seen some of the sports titles that were supposed to come out, and I bet those would have been appropriate for the hardware....I would have even liked to see the RTS game, though I doubt it had enough processing power to push it....then agian...there was that one game for gameboy color that was awesome IMO, Warlocked.

I have an extra game.com game I don't need, and I was just wondering if the ability exists yet to where I ship my extra game.com game to someone and they put in the Wheel of Fortune 2 ROM in the cartridge. That way I would have a complete game.com collection, because it looks like I'm never going to get WoF 2.

Don´t give up. now i have my Copy of the Game. It took me for 1,5 Years to complete this collection...

Game.com Version 2 has a better screen. Some games like Resident Evil and arcade ports of some classics are very well done and considered to be the best on the system. The issues is the most promoted games were rushed or were made terribly but they were prooted because franchises like Mortal Kombat were system sellers.

They should have focused on the strengths of the system. Like when you play Virtua fighter on the Game.com the effects are impressive but how they use them is sub-par. If they had only tried used those features in A grade titles.

It's similar to the N-Gage, although the N-Gage has a better library, I think it was mostly it's other issues that hurt it. Seems they were making a game machine first and a phone second. Hee Hee

Game.com I heard has quite a following in mexico.

• 1 month later...

Tempest2k had to purchase another 3/4 complete collection with a Game.com Pocket Pro in order to get his final long missing game for his own now completed collection (Congrats!), so in a little trade and without any special "hunting" effort of my own, I have profited a little from this by getting a frontlight Game.com Pocket Pro with fourteen games in January. :)

I knew what to expect and was interested mainly in Sonic Jam.

I´m not too much in the mood to repeat everything allover what has already been said, I agree with most anyones´ first observations regarding screen and gameplay and "issues", but I like about the Game.com these three things:

- A good Monopoly with save. Tons better than the original Gameboy-Monopoly, which had no save.

- Duke Nukem, which I must say find very enjoyable. This is by far my favorite game, it makes for over 80% of play time.

- Frogger is also an ok port.

The other 11 games that I got besides the three mentioned are not really making me hungry for more, sadly.

As I thought, this book consists only of a few chapters, and can be closed very early.

It is worth getting a Game.com for the Duke, I think.

And if you grew up enjoying LCD games, you might also like Indy500 and a few other titles, Joust and Sinistar on Williams´ Arcade Classics are also ok, Joust is remarkable for not (?) having the pterodactyl, but the allover impression is that the screen quality compares poorly against every handheld gaming from Gameboy Pocket onwards I´m afraid. It stays mostly Duke for me.

Now, as a summary, this is the first handheld where I think there is not much more to explore after the first games obtained. No hidden treasures, no homebrew scene, no homebrew developments to expect.

A bit of a museum piece of gaming history, and I like it for that and would not trade it away :)

Edited by Atari_afternoon
  • Like 1

I have one of these, boxed and still shrinkwrapped. (The original version, with the little handle on the box) I have owned several loose ones through the years, and they strike me as a hot mess/unfinished product. A bit sad, but when you consider the endless parade of turds that plopped out of Tiger, its no great shock.

Mine is on the trade table. :)

I have a complete CIB collection. I completed this over a decade ago. On a sad note, I wanted to showcase the system in class(doing a mini handheld history lesson), and my original Game.com unit LCD screen went bad. I have many of the Game.com pro variants, as well as the one with the terrible front light.

• 1 year later...

I liked resident Evil, it was a good game. Duke Nukem was fun, and an interesting take on FPS (since lets face it, the game.com couldn't do FPS) Jurassic Park was a decent game. Both the Wheel of Fortune games, Jeopardy, Lights out. Frogger and several of the arcade compilations are worth having.

Considering there's only like 20odd games for the system, you can get the whole lot for fairly low, though it looks like exclusively BIN on ebay now. Game price checke3rs can't even give you a value on most the games or system due to non selling.

I got and mostly use the original fat game.com with two cart ports. I have a smaller backlit version of the game.com, but it's a little hard to see the screen unless your in total darkness.

I actually used the internet cart way back in the day to check email, I bet it's completely useless now, especially since it had to plug into a parallel dialup modem and you could barely get those even back in the day (and that's assuming you can get dialup service at all now days)

As far as homebrew stuff, I doubt we'll ever see any, I mean, it was completely internally made, they didn't do dev kits and ship them out, so very little is known about it. Of course, people are smart enough to hack it up anyways, but I doubt anyone would make a game for such an unliked system.

If someone did make something for it, I'd actually like to see a full functional PDA for it (you know, x hundred address/phone book) Basically a severe extension on the built in address book. Of course, this day in age, it's not needed, but back in the day something like that would have killed.

Graphic calculator, yeah, it has a standard calculator built in.

The game.com had so much potential to be the do all tool for cheap (back when palm and similar devices were several hundred to a $1000+)

As far as games, uh...Most games I could think of the screen prevents them, or would drop them down to a non enjoyable experience....still, more puzzles. SuDoku would be awesome on there. And any number of card games (so many solitary games, and so few are ever put out)

Anyhow, that's about it.