IGNORED

Clues over Clues on ATARI XL

emkay

Yep, very nice :D

Here's my guess..

I'd say that top 1/3 although it looks complex is mostly just PM overlays and DLIS, and will display OK

But I guess the bottom 1/3 is going to look wrong coz the emulators don't do horizonal timing right yet. Either you're switching from gr.8 (or 0) to gr.15 horizontally or you're multiplexing the PM's horizontally. :?

:)

But I guess the bottom 1/3 is going to look wrong coz the emulators don't do horizonal timing right yet. Either you're switching from gr.8 (or 0) to gr.15 horizontally or you're multiplexing the PM's horizontally. :?

:)

I'd be interested to know too.

I tried a trick like that but couldn't get it to work on the emulator. I never tried it on the real 8-bit. I was told that 2 graphic modes on one scan line might be impossible because ANTIC reads the display list for the scan line and doesn't re-read it for the graphic mode update. I wanted to try it though versus taking what was written :)

try the following...

use ANTIC F (gr.8)... 1/3 of scanline do not change anything, then switch the PRIOR register ($40) and go into mode9 after another 1/3 switch back to antic f ($00) and antic should produce something similar to antic e...

this was told me (i never tried it...) by coders. you can see this effect in HARD demos like "Joyride".

my 2 cents regarding atari "hardware" bugs... ;)

hve

Debro,

You're right you cannot change graphics mode mid scanline - I've never seen it done...

But as Hve says you can flip the GTIA mode bits midline to switch between Antic F and and any GTIA (9, 10 and 11 in basic modes) effects - since they are the same graphic mode as far as Antic knows :)

You could also do the same trick with GRIOR and Antic 2 to flip between normal text and wierd GTIA mode text (Murder on the Zinderneuf by EA was done in these modes)...

sTeVE

High HVE!

>use ANTIC F (gr.8)... 1/3 of scanline do not change anything, then switch the PRIOR register ($40) and go into mode9 after another 1/3 switch back to antic f ($00) and antic should produce something similar to antic e...

Yes, You are right.

>this was told me (i never tried it...) by coders. you can see this effect in HARD demos like "Joyride".

But, I did it before ;)

>my 2 cents regarding atari "hardware" bugs... ;)

If it is for real a bug or not, that would be unkown. But, did you ever seen it on a GAME?

Hard-Software did great things, but did they great things for the ATARI?

I wanted to do great things for that great machine!

For those who want to know: The Game is a type of "Wheel of fortune".

But, there is more...look at it. ;)

Does anyone know, how many Steps of the 6502 are made in one Scanline? At 50Hz and at 60Hz?

So think about it, when using WSYNC with only a change of a Color...

Till the end of the Scanline, the whole Computer does nothing!

So don't be surprised, getting crackles in Digi-Sounds...

So, make a Routine, that playes the Digi-Sound, while using/in a DLI and forget WSYNC ;)