IGNORED

Are going to buy the Wii U?

Rev

67 members have voted

1. 1. Based on what we have seen so far, are you going to get it?

• Yes, I am
    • No, I am not
    • Not enough info yet

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I already have a 360 and a PS3. Adding a Nintendo machine won't give me significant value to what I already have. I have zero interest in the tablet controller and I already have my computer hooked up to my tv so I can play old school Nintendo games with a 360 controller on my tv whenever I want.

You're confusing the new Wii U with an old school Nintendo console. It's a new one, you see?

What's the point of purposefully missing out on games? People are all hung up on the new controller, but it's always about games in the end. What if people decided they didn't want a Dreamcast because the VMU didn't interest them?

Nintendo hasn't really shown any games yet, I know, but what system doesn't wind up with several must-haves?

• Like 1

I actually liked what I have seen thus far for Nintendo's next console. Some of the tech and ideas with the new controller are pretty cool. I like the Zelda video where the game was switched to the controller to free up the TV. The thing I did not like about the Wii was how several titles that came to 360/PS3 did not make it to Wii because either they could not be done or were "different" on the Wii due to lower capability of the Wii. I am not saying the Wii did not have great games or exclusive titles but I was not excited by Nintendo's line-up of titles, the Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby stuff are all quality titles but I am just not into them like I use to be. While I certainly do not consider myself a "Hardcore" gamer since: 1. I suck at videogames and 2. I still play and love 2600, colecovision etc, it's just that when I do choose to play a "modern" console I want to play good Survival Horror or BioShock or Fallout etc. If I simple pick up and play I play the classic stuff. OK I know some of you are already saying "What about Virtual Console?" well sorry but I have zero interest in downloading and paying for all the classic I ALREADY OWN along with the original consoles to play them on. So with only the modern titles to interest me the Wii was not doing it for me compared to the 360/PS3.

Now I am seeing possibly interesting ideas and uses with the Wii-U but as I watch these demos of new Zelda and Mario Bros I wonder how these concepts might be used in a Survival Horror or other Mature themed type of game? Will we see any? Yeah I know there were some on the Wii but like the DS it seemed for every title that looked interesting their were 10 - 20 more titles that were puzzle games or Pet Care game or crappy game show or Tv show port or some games obviously aimed at 14 year old girls. I "get" the market for casual games, I know the mom's and little girls and boys want to play and it is a HUGE market that nobody has untapped like Nintendo, they are a business and while many complained about the Wii not being powerful enough or have enough hardcore games it sold like hotcakes and Nintendo's # 1 priority just like any company is making $$$$ (Sorry fanboys it is a fact, they are not looking to fulfill your dreams unless of course that makes them the big $$$$) so I guess it is wait and see for me as usual. I certainly see the possibility and I like what they bring to the table hardware wise but if in the end it is just a new means to interact with Zelda / Mario / Kirby I don't really see myself getting into it. the console will have the graphical capability so if not Nintendo themselves then hopefully other companies will bring some really innovative and adult oriented games to the Wii-U, I am really hoping they do. I would love to see Nintendo become huge once again not only with casual gamers but mature gamers and those looking for more mature themed titles.

I need to wait and see on this one. Looks like quite the expensive gimmick. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but no way am I charging in head first like I did with the Wii. Truth be told, after watching the trailer for the new console I got soured to the idea of the next console generation. I might just get back into computer gaming instead.

But gaming has moved on. The market seems to dictate that what most gamers want is the ability to see what their friends are playing, send them a message and join in.

wasn't willing to get more specific about the Wii U's online functionality,

Luckily more details have emerged about Wii U online functionality and it pretty much confirms what I suspected.

I already have a 360 and a PS3. Adding a Nintendo machine won't give me significant value to what I already have. I have zero interest in the tablet controller and I already have my computer hooked up to my tv so I can play old school Nintendo games with a 360 controller on my tv whenever I want.

You're confusing the new Wii U with an old school Nintendo console. It's a new one, you see?

What's the point of purposefully missing out on games? People are all hung up on the new controller, but it's always about games in the end. What if people decided they didn't want a Dreamcast because the VMU didn't interest them?

Nintendo hasn't really shown any games yet, I know, but what system doesn't wind up with several must-haves?

No, I'm not confusing the P.U. with an old school Nintendo machine. I'm simply referring to not having a need for the virtual console because I can steal those games instead.

I've played motion control games before and have no interest in them. What's the point of spending money on games I don't want to play? 99.99999999% of any other game that doesn't require motion controls will be available for another console. Heck, the only reason I have a PS3 is it also plays Bluray discs. I use it for watching movies as much as I do for playing games on it.

It depends A LOT on the price. I don't have the disposable income I once had, so if this thing retails for $600, then I won't be getting it for a long-long time (until the price probably drops to half of that). $300 seems to be my limit on a console at this point. I really don't want to pay any more than that for something that will end up collecting dust (like my Wii and PS3 tend to do).

It's not going to be six hundred dollars :P

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/eb-listing-nintendos-wii-u-at-599-95/

That's probably what he was referring to.

Thank you, mister. I don't want to sound negative about it - I'm pretty much a fan of anything video game related. But that's what I was referring to. I thought $700 for a 3DO was f***ing ridiculous in 1995(ish), I thought $600 was ridiculous for a PS3 in 2007, I think $600 is ridiculous for a Wii next year (or whenever), and I think it's a ridiculous price point for **ANY** gaming console when so much EXCELLENT entertainment is available for so much less, and has been as long as I can remember. I still think it's cool, though; not saying it isn't.

I have almost no faith that there will be any compelling long term third party support. Nintendo increasingly rely on customer nostalgia of their own franchises and, as I have no nostalgia for Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc., I'll pass. New games please.

Also, it looks as it if was designed by an overexcited 8 year old in a "let's cram in all the controls and bits of all other systems - that'd be awesome!" kind of way.

I have almost no faith that there will be any compelling long term third party support.

I totally agree. While it's awesome that the Wii U sizzle reel shows Ken Levine, Peter Moore, etc. all singing the praise of the Wii U and while John Ricotello comes out on stage promising all these third parties are going to support Wii U, I find it ironic no body asked High Voltage about Conduit sales or Suda 51 about the reaction to No More Heroes, or EA about Sports Active 2 success. And I wonder what Ken, Peter, and John are going to say in a couple of years when their titles do similar business on Wii U.

My prediction? Back to only putting out games on Sony and Microsoft platforms.

I have almost no faith that there will be any compelling long term third party support.

And I wonder what Ken, Peter, and John are going to say in a couple of years when their titles do similar business on Wii U.

My prediction? Back to only putting out games on Sony and Microsoft platforms.

Only the difference with the Wii U compared to the Wii is that it will be capable of doing the same kinds of games as the PS3 and 360, including high resolutions. I wouldn't necessarily assume the Wii U 3rd party games will suck the same way as the Wii 3rd party games (in general) did for the Wii. On the Wii, the games were either unique (not on the PS3/360 to begin with) or were a downgraded, low res version that had it's preferable gamepad controls remapped to work with the Wiimote.

As such, almost everyone who was going to buy the cross platform game would definitely buy it for the ps3 or 360 if they could. That's not necessarily going to be the case this time around for as long as it's only competition remains the PS3 and 360 - consoles the Wii U is going to be on par with or even a little better than. And all indications so far show that's going to be the case for the first couple of years in the Wii U's lifespan.

Nintendo fanboys are also hardcore gamers. With the Wii, the only reason they were buying the console would be for nintendo's 1st party games that everyone knew would be exclusive to it. There are a lot of Nintendo fanboys that will all be investing in the Wii U as soon as Zelda, Mario, etc all land on it. So when that happens they'll more than likely pick up the other 3rd party titles that land on it since there likely won't be any difference between the Wii U version and the others.

No, I'm not confusing the P.U. with an old school Nintendo machine. I'm simply referring to not having a need for the virtual console because I can steal those games instead.

Okay, then you've forgotten that it'll play more than just classic emulated games.

I've played motion control games before and have no interest in them. What's the point of spending money on games I don't want to play? 99.99999999% of any other game that doesn't require motion controls will be available for another console. Heck, the only reason I have a PS3 is it also plays Bluray discs. I use it for watching movies as much as I do for playing games on it.

Man, I know I'm wasting my time trying to argue with your playground-style bias, but:

There's more than motion control involved. Mario Galaxy & Smash Bros were system-sellers last time 'round and they hardly used the motion sensors at all. Wario Land: Shake It made some use of the motion sensors, though I wouldn't call it a "motion control game", and it was a great platformer you're not going to find on another console. Though I realize you're just going to say "Blah, Mario's stupid", you do have to admit that there will be games on the system that won't rely heavily on gimmick controls and won't be available on other systems, and as of June 2011 you have no idea what they might be or if you'll hate them.

Oh, and I don't think there are going to be a billion Wii-U games.

There won't be any difference until Microsoft and Sony introduce their new systems within a few years after the Wii U. Of course, the improvements seen in the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 successor systems may end up being marginal or just picking up on the 3D gimmick that's so popular nowadays. It may end up being the unwanted switch from physical media to direct downloads where only the memory size of the system's hard drive storage (and its stability) is what matters.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

I voted "Yes I am" although I have no intentions of getting this during it's lifespan from what I've seen so far. Nintendo has really, really soured me on their stupid controls with the Wii -- I adore the Donkey Kong Country series for instance, and have so far not gotten Donkey Kong Country Returns because I'm not paying more than $20 for a game I have to wave the controller around when playing. The fact that Nintendo has said that you can hook up one tablet controller and a bunch of Wiimotes to this thing make it for me the worst of both worlds -- you won't get the same 'cool idea' of having your own little screen for games like Madden or whatever, and you'll still have those damn controllers that you have to wave around like a moron because Nintendo couldn't figure out anything else to do with them after the success of Wii Sports.

How I see the whole Wii market is that they came out with Wii Sports, and it worked really well. Really, really, really well. But, Nintendo didn't have any other great control scheme ideas for the controllers, so they tacked on waggle stuff everywhere to continually remind you that you were playing a console with motion control. I love 2D Mario games, and New Super Mario Bros is why I bought the system, but every time I wave around the system to fly, I feel like it is both way more inaccurate and way stupid. Let me push a button to do that. Let me use the classic controller.

Like someone else said, I have no real nostalgia love for Nintendo games any more. I haven't liked a 3D Mario or Zelda game yet, and while I enjoy the Metroid titles, I don't love them. I also don't like Super Smash Bros, and Mario Kart with it's horrible rubber banding I stopped buying after the GameCube crap. The Sonic's All Star Racing game is *way* better and *way* cheaper too -- oh, and NO waggle because I can play it on a different system.

I do like the fact that the Wii has light gun games, and that is pretty much the reason that I still have it. But good god Nintendo, it has become so apparent that you had no idea what to do with the Wii after Wii Sports was over, and I sense this as another cash grab. Their best reason for using the controller? You can play hide and seek (or shoot at a spaceship) with one person on the tablet thing and the others with the WiiMotes. If I want to do that, guess what -- I can do that by going and playing without the use of a console.

I'm so completely and utterly unimpressed by Nintendo lately -- a company that I used to absolutely adore, and the GameCube remains my favorite prior generation console -- that to me, the Wii U is like the Saturn after the 32X.

• Like 2

Man, I know I'm wasting my time trying to argue with your playground-style bias, but:

There's more than motion control involved. Mario Galaxy & Smash Bros were system-sellers last time 'round and they hardly used the motion sensors at all. Wario Land: Shake It made some use of the motion sensors, though I wouldn't call it a "motion control game", and it was a great platformer you're not going to find on another console. Though I realize you're just going to say "Blah, Mario's stupid", you do have to admit that there will be games on the system that won't rely heavily on gimmick controls and won't be available on other systems, and as of June 2011 you have no idea what they might be or if you'll hate them.

There won't be enough Nintendo exclusives for me to care no matter how you try to insult my opinions. The original question in the thread was whether we were going to buy the Wii-U. According to the information I have in June 2011 the answer to that is no. Mario isn't stupid, just people like you who put words in people's mouths like "Blah, Mario's stupid".

I'm on the fence. The cube was disappointing as hell IMO, the Wii had the hype of unavailability going for it (which is why I bought that, pluss light gun games would have been cool, had they worked) at this point, the WiiU is going to have to prove itself well beyond the shadow of a doubt before I will even consider it.

Or...it'll have to have some sort of ass kicking feature that I'd just have to have...such as DS/3DS compatibility out of the box. For that, I might be at walmart on launch day, bent over already.