IGNORED

Intellivision II power supply

tz101

4Jays carries third-party replacements for $17.95. I use a 12VAC 1200mA supply with mine, and it's worked perfectly for years even though it's not an exact match for the original. I've heard of other people successfully using supplies that are even further from Mattel's original spec. It seems that the Intellivision II isn't as picky about its power supply as is often thought.

• Like 2

Are they easy to find? I just bought a set that does not come with one.

The INTV 2 power supplies are EXTREMELY HARD to find.I looked for years in the wild and stores just didn't have one with the correct specs.I also got mine from 4jays.com.Still havn't seen any of those in the wild, not even close.

16.2v is kind of high for gaming bricks. If I try my Genesis or Jaguar bricks, they are rated at 9-12. I think the limits with under-voltage power supplies is possibly spotty performance or video output. Oh well, maybe I'll scour the thrift bins.

Here are the specs for the INTV 2 power supply i purchased from 4jays.com, an EXACT equivalent of the original for your convenience in detail, hope this helps ;)

Leader Electronics INC.

Model: 5872-9629

Class 2 Transformer

INPUT: 120V 60Hz 19W

OUTPUT: 16.2V AC 955mA

I wonder what all those people who had the INTV II did with the PSU's? :?

That always puzzles me whenever I see an Intellivision II being sold without its power supply. How on earth did so many people manage to lose them? Wouldn't it have been natural to unplug the power supply and put it away along with everything else? People really make me wonder sometimes.

Maybe Mattel's hard-wired power cords on the original Intellivision and on the Aquarius weren't such bad ideas after all.

I wonder what all those people who had the INTV II did with the PSU's? :?

That's a question I've always asked myself, a complete mystery.You find most other power supplies, but NOT INTV 2 ones. :? :ponder:

• 1 year later...

In my case the answer is easy: The Power Supply simply broke up and there is no chance to open and repair it, so its just a piece of junk. Is here anybody who can offer me a original Intellivision II Power Supply? I dont really like 3rd party parts if there is a chance to replace it with original ones. And I would also like to get a fair priced Controller, because one of mine has a broken keyboard.

If there are any offers please send me a PM

Edited by Ignorama

I had a had a Intellivision II power supply that went bad... I think it was tripped over one too many times by my friends and I to the point where it wouldn't work any more. Back then it was next to impossible to find a replacement without having to buy a new system. If I recall correctly, I don't even remember ever seeing a replacement power supply in the one triton/INTV catalog I had.

Anyway I eventually broke it open, "rewired" it and taped back together with duct tape. I still have it to this day but would probably never include it if I were to sell the console as it makes a distinct & unnatural humming noise when used... too afraid it'll burn down the house if it's left in for too long. Needless to say I found a replacement eventually...

I have an original Intelliviison II power supply I will sell......they are heavy, so shipping would be more than the thing is worth.

I know that the INTV II will use almost anything though....

I use an Atari 9v AC power supply that works with a 1050 diskdrive or an Atari 400 / 800 computer...

I am going to be taking my unit to Thailand where they have 220 v power. I am searching for an IBM laptop power supply I have somewhere and will be trying it with the Intellivision II. If I blow it up, I will let you guys know.

I have an original Intelliviison II power supply I will sell......they are heavy, so shipping would be more than the thing is worth.

I know that the INTV II will use almost anything though....

I use an Atari 9v AC power supply that works with a 1050 diskdrive or an Atari 400 / 800 computer...

I am going to be taking my unit to Thailand where they have 220 v power. I am searching for an IBM laptop power supply I have somewhere and will be trying it with the Intellivision II. If I blow it up, I will let you guys know.

if you are pumping 19-24 volts into it, it is not really a good idea.no fuses are in most older devices and a voltage regulators getting way too much voltage sounds like a fire waiting to happen. not sure why these older systems used overpowered power supplies in the first place. especially when you use a voltage regulator to drastically reduce power but create massive heat dissipating off all that extra voltage going to the voltage regulator. good reason why they are common failures. apparently they must have had stock in electric companies when they make you waste so much electricity. i try to use lowest powered power supplies i can to conserve as much electricity as possible.

edit: not trying to argue or belittle your knowledge of electrical components. this was mostly a general statement for the less knowledgeable people on such matters.

Edited by pimpmaul69

• 4 months later...

Troubleshooting guide: http://www.intvfunho...q/intv_faq7.php

I've read for years that the 5200 power supply will work. I've never tested it but I believe strongly that it does work. The reason is that the purpose of Inty II's AC supply is simply to take the first step of stepping big AC down to smaller AC out of the console (its done inside the console in Inty 1). AC alternates the direction of the positive and negative flow, and AC power is good for travelling over long distances without loosing volts etc. AC is not very useful for logic and other small circuit tasks as it takes additional components to handle the variations in polarity.

The Intellivision, like most old consoles wants DC power, and reading through the troubleshooting guide confirms that. The first step is to basically remove the negative voltage associated with AC power (with a -2v exception) and stabilize the voltage to very predictable positive DC voltages. From looking at the guide it seems that we take the 16v AC, strip the negative and end up with 16v of positive DC power which Inty II regulates to some useful voltages at 12v and 5v.

This means that any DC power supply that supplies an unloaded voltage between 12 and 16v SHOULD work fine. All you are doing by plugging DC power into the unit is doing some of the work that would normally be done internally. You are removing the negative voltage and giving a stable supply of positive DC power. As long as Inty II can make what you give it into 12v and 5v, it should work fine. Center polarity won't matter because AC supplies switch polarity by definition, so it should be able to take your positive or negative center and do what needs to be done.

Assuming Inty II follows the info in the guide, you could test this by disconnecting the logic board internally and plugging in various power supplies - testing the various voltages output according to the guide. This would protect your disconnected logic board from fluctuations and allow you to test the specific voltages to confirm you aren't screwing things up.

Edit - Amps don't matter as much as volts. If you think about electricity as water, Volts is the water pressure and Amps is the amount of water. You need to use a supply that supplies the same minimum mA. This means it can supply the amount of electricity per second that the device demands. If the power supply can supply more that's fine because your device will only take as much as it needs.

According to Jay Tilton, 15 years ago, "[t]hat 16.7V jazz is utter horse.... I can't believe people go to such extreme measures to find a substitute power supply for these things. It's actual power requirements are about as generic as they get.

From DeathSkull Laboratories: http://arcarc.xmissi...tech/power.html

Edited by mdoerty

• 3 weeks later...