IGNORED

Street Fighter 2 Atari 7800 vers. XM

gumbo25la

My question is though if a programmer or team decides to do this. Is it better to do a World Warrior version, rather then a Champion Edition? I would be happy with World Warrior for the 7800.

Don't get your hopes up because there are only a few 7800 developers who are already working on their own projects.

I think Yie Ar Kung-Fu or Karate Champ would be the better fighting games for Atari 7800 arcade ports. I also agree with Groovy with Exploding Fist or IK+ being better options for the Atari 7800 fighting games than Street Fighter 2.

The Atari 7800 XM Street Fighter 2 would be good in terms of sound, but shouldn't be the head to head fighting game to be developed for the Atari 7800. A PSX to 7800 interface would help out the gameplay out some by the amount of buttons could be used.

The issues with a Street Fighter 2 port would have is missing charactors, missing levels, and missing backgrounds due to the biggest known size that a 7800 rom cartridge could be. If a Atari 7800 Street Fighter 2 arcade was made it would be worse due to the rom size the SMS version of Street Fighter 2 was.

The biggest Atari 7800 rom cartridge found was 512k prototype board. The SMS version of Street Fighter 2 is 1024k rom cartridge.

Cart size isn't really an issue if you created a new PCB. With an 8 bit latch for the upper address lines you can have 255*16K (and a 16K static page) which gives you a 4MB cart. That will be more than enough for all the graphics and sound. If you are going to the trouble of making a new cart you'd probably want 2 independently switchable 8K banks. That way you can use one for each character's data.

• Like 1

The issues with a Street Fighter 2 port would have is missing charactors, missing levels, and missing backgrounds due to the biggest known size that a 7800 rom cartridge could be.

Wouldn't... er... EVERYBODY be missing, due to legal restrictions? It'd have to feature made-up characters. Considering that, I think a best-of approach would be good. Put in the most popular characters of the series, and the stinkers get cut.

I think Yie Ar Kung-Fu or Karate Champ would be the better fighting games for Atari 7800 arcade ports. I also agree with Groovy with Exploding Fist or IK+ being better options for the Atari 7800 fighting games than Street Fighter 2.

I think Yie-Ar Kung Fu or Karate Champ would be better FOR ME TO POOP ON.

What's the point of putting another crap game on the 7800 when you could have SF2?

What's the point of putting another crap game on the 7800 when you could have SF2?

There's a certain charm in kicking a fat man in groin and his eyes bugging out.

There's a certain charm in kicking a fat man in groin and his eyes bugging out.

Well #$*#, build on that, then. I'd buy a game about sneaking up on fat dudes and kicking them in the jimmy.

Yeah - but Yie-Ar has the fat guy who flies!

Dude, Yie-Ar rules. I was obsessed with that game as a kid... figuring out strategies for the various enemies, etc. I'd say that it's what got me into fighting games.

I remember around 1996 downloading a MSX emulator just to play "Yie-Ar Kung Fu" at home. Needless to say the MSX port was a huge disappointment.

Well, you take a heavily downgraded port as a base here.

If you take into account the original Street Fighter I you might as well port SF II, because the challenge would be the same. The original SF also features big character sprites an 6 punch/kick variants that would have to be reduced to two buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNTUNSUvYw

When you are willing to cut back the game any system is fine. SF II was also officially ported to C64 btw, with mini sprites and 1-button control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM

Edited by 108 Stars

If you take into account the original Street Fighter I you might as well port SF II, because the challenge would be the same. The original SF also features big character sprites an 6 punch/kick variants that would have to be reduced to two buttons.

That's true but in the first Street Fighter you can only play as Ryu and you have less special moves. So you wouldn't have to cut back as much of the gameplay as in a SF II conversion.

And i know the horrible C64 conversion of SF II, IMO it's even lamer than the first one. :lol:

That's true but in the first Street Fighter you can only play as Ryu and you have less special moves. So you wouldn't have to cut back as much of the gameplay as in a SF II conversion.

Good point. And you wouldn't even have to program a game, because who the hell wants to play Street Fighter 1?

Good point. And you wouldn't even have to program a game, because who the hell wants to play Street Fighter 1?

Me! :D

Both Way of the Exploding Fist and Yie Ar Kung-Fu came out on the BBC micro so there is some potential to do direct ports if anybody wanted to have a go.

Well that would be a good start is getting those games done, by "direct port" you mean what how much work would it be(how many hours per game of work)