IGNORED

Interest check: ColecoVision trading cards!

Pixelboy

You mean more of a chrome than silver don't you Opcode?

Hm... well, it isn't shiny if that is what you mean. But yeah, pretty much the same papers Atari used, but totally different graphic layout, more in line with my own Opcode style and some Coleco influence thrown in for good measure. Pretty expensive process btw, but the result looks fantastic.

Oh, and a totally new box style, more durable and easy to access....

But I better get on-topic... :P

Yeah, the trading card included with each game sounds really interesting.

Luc, I'd be interested in the trading cards for sure, and as for the catalog, especially if it involved all of the homebrew companies, would be very cool! :love: It occured to me there is precedent for this on another system.

Roger Matthews (Psychostormtrooper) did this for the Intellivision homebrew games. It showed all the releases with descriptions of the games and a bit of a bio of each of the programmers. It's pretty cool. These were supposed to be included with the games as you guys are discussing but it never happened in wide release.

post-25458-0-92486900-1309078624_thumb.jpg

post-25458-0-20341300-1309078648_thumb.jpg

Luc, I'd be interested in the trading cards for sure, and as for the catalog, especially if it involved all of the homebrew companies, would be very cool! :love: It occured to me there is precedent for this on another system.

Roger Matthews (Psychostormtrooper) did this for the Intellivision homebrew games. It showed all the releases with descriptions of the games and a bit of a bio of each of the programmers. It's pretty cool. These were supposed to be included with the games as you guys are discussing but it never happened in wide release.

Thanks for sharing... :)

Thanks for sharing... :)

You're most welcome. I just think that with all the homebrews produced over the past few years in particular, making these cross-publisher catalogs would be really a cool add-on. Maybe one that covers the releases to date, then new catalogs in the future with coming soon releases being shown. I should have added another picture of the INTV one as it actually does show two "coming soon" games. I'd be willing to pay a couple of extra bucks for something like this to be included. :thumbsup: :love:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really not sure I should be posting this, because it may serve to get the ball rolling on a project that I'm not ready to tackle (still very busy with the next batch of Team Pixelboy games) but I just can't resist, because I think it's such a cool idea! I believe the image attached below pretty much sums it up rather nicely: What's not to love about ColecoVision trading cards! :D

As you can see, the front side of the card is a scan of the front of the box, and the back side contains a screenshot and some condensed information about the game. The yellow bar above the screenshot would contain a series of informative icons. I haven't drawn these icons (yet) but I already have a good idea of what they would be:

[1P] = For 1 player only

[1P/2P] = For one or two players

[2P] = For 2 players only

[overlay] = Regular overlay included

[s.A.C. overlay] = Super Action overlay included

[Coleco controller image] = Designed for play with standard CV controller

[track ball + 4 buttons] = Designed for play with Roller Controller

[steering wheel] = Designed for play with Expansion Module #2

[s.A.C. image] = Designed for play with Super Action Controller

[crosshairs] = Shooting game

[man jumping on platform] = Platformer game

[sport items] = Sports game

[teddy bear head] = Game for young children / Educational

[arcade cabinet] = Arcade game adaptation

= Unreleased prototype

[house] = Homebrew game

[wink + tongue] = Total hoax!

The "total hoax" icon is an interesting idea I had: Such a "hoax" card would feature a totally fake box image and a totally fake (yet believable) screenshot. Not really sure what fake games these "hoax" cards would present, but we could have fun with the concept. For example, how about a "Six Million Dollar Man" fake ColecoVision game? :P

I did some research these past couple of days, and I identified roughly 280 potential cards of commercial games (all box variants taken into account) as well as roughly 70 potential cards of homebrew games. As I picture it, each series would contain 40 cards, with games mostly selected at random among all the potential commercial and homebrew cards, in addition to a couple of "hoax" cards. There are enough potential cards to make up 8 or 9 different series!

Now of course you're going to say "Wow! We could have these cards printed by a professional printer like MyTradingCards.com!" but sadly, it wouldn't work: Such professional printers have strict policies against printing trading cards that feature copyrighted logos and such. Still, if I were to go ahead full-steam with the project, I would create two versions of each card: One printer-ready version at 300 DPI, and the other as a web-only virtual card, of the same dimensions as the example shown below. Who knows, perhaps one day I could find a private printer who would be willing to print these out as real trading cards. :)

So waddaya think?

I wish I would have seen this post when it first came up. :(

I did some work on this idea about 5 years ago. Ironically, I dropped the idea because the few people I showed it to didn't think much of it. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who likes the trading card idea.

I have a mock-up floating around here somewhere of a Arcadia 2001 game system card. There are ways to print them on an inkjet printer and get pretty good results. You do have to use photo card stock and use the clear packing tape method for the front of the card. Comes out pretty darn close to modern trading cards. Just a thought.

I wish I would have seen this post when it first came up. :(

I did some work on this idea about 5 years ago. Ironically, I dropped the idea because the few people I showed it to didn't think much of it. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who likes the trading card idea.

I have a mock-up floating around here somewhere of a Arcadia 2001 game system card. There are ways to print them on an inkjet printer and get pretty good results. You do have to use photo card stock and use the clear packing tape method for the front of the card. Comes out pretty darn close to modern trading cards. Just a thought.

Okay, here's the current situation where this trading card project is concerned:

The weather is very hot in my local area this week, and I don't have air conditioning in my house. When it gets that hot, I lose all motivation to work on my PC. Luckily, I've got plenty of Desperate Housewives DVDs to watch, so I'll just plant a big fan next to my bed, and watch DVDs until the heat wave passes.

Problem is, I have one last box art to vectorize, namely the one for Bank Panic, and then I'll be able to give all the Team Pixelboy box templates to my contact in Germany so he can get them printed for me, like he did last year. Printing the boxes and shipping them to Canada can take well over a month, so to make sure that I don't get the boxes at the last minute, I need to give him the box templates in September, and that means I have to give priority to vectorizing the Bank Panic box art between now and the end of August (with other minor box-related loose-ends to tie up). And this current heat wave is definately not helping me to get started on that.

All this to say that while I do want to go ahead with this trading card project, I have to prioritize my ongoing projects given the free time that I actually have. Next fall, I'll be mostly working on the manuals for the six upcoming games (lots of work ahead of me there) and meeting my Christmas Day deadline is obviously more important to me than the trading card project.

I'll work with Murph74 to get some sample cards printed, as time allows, but you can be sure that this trading card project is going to progress very slowly.

Just out of curiosity, what is the general take on how many cards should be in the set? Should it be a set of Coleco-produced only games and accessories, or should 3rd party games be included? I'm curious as to what people would want from a full "set".

I just shot an Email to Luc about an idea to get this moving started faster possibly.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. If I got the extra money at the time you can count me in as well. On a side note. I think a silver type card would be really cool if it can be done. If it can't, you can always use black. I always thought that would look pretty good too. Here's a quick mock-up if it helps.

post-9874-0-40908000-1311382331_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. If I got the extra money at the time you can count me in as well. On a side note. I think a silver type card would be really cool if it can be done. If it can't, you can always use black. I always thought that would look pretty good too. Here's a quick mock-up if it helps.

post-9874-0-40908000-1311382331_thumb.jpg

Nice-looking card! +1 for you! :D

I just thought of something: I wonder if it would be possible to make metallic-looking cards. I'm thinking mainly silver for the Spectravideo, Imagic and Sunrise boxes that originally had reflective silver contours. If it could be done, they could be released as true collectibles, aside from the main trading card series... They would be more expensive, obviously.

And I just had another idea for complementary CV trading cards: Cards with pictures of CV homebrew authors and publishers. A card for Eduardo Mello, a card for Daniel Bienvenu, a card for J-F... Okay, maybe not the best idea, but I think it could add a useful historical side to the trading cards. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

I just thought of something: I wonder if it would be possible to make metallic-looking cards. I'm thinking mainly silver for the Spectravideo, Imagic and Sunrise boxes that originally had reflective silver contours. If it could be done, they could be released as true collectibles, aside from the main trading card series... They would be more expensive, obviously.

Silver would be awesome! even if it cost a little more :lust:

And I just had another idea for complementary CV trading cards: Cards with pictures of CV homebrew authors and publishers. A card for Eduardo Mello, a card for Daniel Bienvenu, a card for J-F... Okay, maybe not the best idea, but I think it could add a useful historical side to the trading cards. :)

That's a good idea actually, I won't bother to trow a pic of me

A side with a picture of the homebrewer, and the back could be for the releases, maybe box art or simply checklist.... just brainstorming