IGNORED

What's your oldest email address you still use?

Just got an email from yahoo saying they are upgrading their service, and it started out saying that I have been a user for 14 years. All that time just slipped past me! Hard to believe that 14 years ago using win 3.11 I signed up for a yahoo mail account. I think that computer was a 486DX100 or something. Might have been a 75mhz.

I've been using e-mail since 1996, but my present e-mail addresses are only about three years old. I finally got my own domain in 2008, and after I created a new set of addresses for myself, I closed or abandoned all the others. I have a few others through school and work, but they all forward to my personal mailboxes.

I still have one of my original e-mail accounts. Either it was '96 or '97. I don't use it much anymore since I created a Gmail account a few years back, and now it's primarily there for spam. The other day actually, I looked through some of my oldest emails from it, some from the late '90s. It's interesting to go back that far and see what my writing was like back then, rediscovering different aspects of conversations that my memory had long since forgotten, and remembering people I haven't talked to in over a decade..

Before webmail, I went through emails like I went through phone numbers. Then came my Earthlink email, which I had for a couple years. I've had yahoo since about '05, gmail maybe a year later. I don't remember when or why I set up a hotmail account but I did at some point early on. I believe my first email account was set up in 1999. That's ancient history now. Now that I have my own domain, I've added a couple new email addresses. :D

From 1996 until 2003 all my email addresses were tethered to paid ISP accounts so I didn't get to keep any of those. My current email address though is on a domain owned by a friend, as is a previous one I used before then which I still keep open.

The domain is thecowsaysmoo.org.

I set up a Freenet (remember those?) account around 1994 or 1995. The Freenet has largely morphed into a commercial ISP, but I still use the space to host my website, and my original e-mail address there is still valid (though it is now forwarded to my main, personal account).

Just got an email from yahoo saying they are upgrading their service, and it started out saying that I have been a user for 14 years. All that time just slipped past me! Hard to believe that 14 years ago using win 3.11 I signed up for a yahoo mail account. I think that computer was a 486DX100 or something. Might have been a 75mhz.

Yeah, I use Yahoo too. I got the same email, saying I'd been there for 9 years.

I don't understand why they have to keep dicking with things. I predict that the "new" Yahoo email will be slower, more difficult to use, and crowd the screen with more unnecessary garbage than is necessary. I suppose they're trying to compete with Google Apps or something. I like "Yahoo Classic" the way it is. The Old People I know who use Yahoo email are going to be in for a rude awakening, soon. I'm sure I'll adapt, but I fail to see the necessity to do so.

All my really old ones I've long let expire or shut down. The oldest I have now is from February 06, 2003, although I never use it. I think actually logging into it (hotmail) reactivated it or something. I since moved everything to standardized emails: one for family/personal, one for business/academic, and one for online fora like this.