IGNORED

Differences in DK ROMs?

LynxVGL

I have two DK carts, one being from my original CV, and one from my second unit. The second copy of DK has a label that is different and adds the "For Colecovision and ADAM Computer" tag that is prevalent on later carts. Are there any differences in the ROMS? Or is it just the label? I've been following the discussion about DKA that Opcode is working on and there is the ongoing discussion about the differences in the Arcade versions. Did Coleco rev. their software as well over the lifespan of the console? (I know it's a slim chance.)

ColecoFan1981 covered this a while back. Here is what he had to say:

Donkey Kong 16K and 24K Differences

by ColecoFan1981

In regards to the ColecoVision version of Donkey Kong, which was the pack-in cartridge for said system, there were versions of it produced with both 16K and 24K ROM chips. The 24K ROM version was known to be the earliest, and then Coleco programmers decided to cut 8K of this to 16K sometime during 1983.

There are notable differences between the 16K and 24K ROM versions of DK:

The broken ladder glitch on the girder board does the following:

*24K ROM version - Mario disappears after execution of the glitch and then re-appears after about 15 seconds on the top girder next to DK. However, Mario may lose a life when this is done because sometimes DK may throw a barrel the very instant Mario lands on DK's girder.

*16K ROM version - Executing this glitch causes Mario to fall down the girder and instantly go on to the rivets board.

Other notable differences:

*24K ROM version has a maximum time limit of 8000 bonus points.

*16K ROM version pushes this maximum to 99900 bonus points. But if this counter turns over at 00000 points, Mario will die instantly.

*24K ROM version - when Mario dies, the background music continues playing for a few timer ticks.

*16K ROM version - when Mario dies, the background music cuts out instantly when the death fanfare plays (timer's still ticking, though).

*24K ROM version - place Mario next to Pauline's hat, seen on the right side of the rivets board, and jump up from below and the hat magically disappears.

Ben

The Stand-Alone ADAM Computer was packaged with the 16K version with the "For ColecoVision & ADAM" on the label. The Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM, of course, was not packaged with a Donkey Kong cartridge since people already had it with the ColecoVision.

Edited by NIAD

ColecoFan1981 covered this a while back. Here is what he had to say:

Donkey Kong 16K and 24K Differences

by ColecoFan1981

In regards to the ColecoVision version of Donkey Kong, which was the pack-in cartridge for said system, there were versions of it produced with both 16K and 24K ROM chips. The 24K ROM version was known to be the earliest, and then Coleco programmers decided to cut 8K of this to 16K sometime during 1983.

There are notable differences between the 16K and 24K ROM versions of DK:

The broken ladder glitch on the girder board does the following:

*24K ROM version - Mario disappears after execution of the glitch and then re-appears after about 15 seconds on the top girder next to DK. However, Mario may lose a life when this is done because sometimes DK may throw a barrel the very instant Mario lands on DK's girder.

*16K ROM version - Executing this glitch causes Mario to fall down the girder and instantly go on to the rivets board.

Other notable differences:

*24K ROM version has a maximum time limit of 8000 bonus points.

*16K ROM version pushes this maximum to 99900 bonus points. But if this counter turns over at 00000 points, Mario will die instantly.

*24K ROM version - when Mario dies, the background music continues playing for a few timer ticks.

*16K ROM version - when Mario dies, the background music cuts out instantly when the death fanfare plays (timer's still ticking, though).

*24K ROM version - place Mario next to Pauline's hat, seen on the right side of the rivets board, and jump up from below and the hat magically disappears.

Ben

The Stand-Alone ADAM Computer was packaged with the 16K version with the "For ColecoVision & ADAM" on the label. The Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM, of course, was not packaged with a Donkey Kong cartridge since people already had it with the ColecoVision.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know I have both versions. Are there other carts that exist in a fat and cut version?

I would have to double check to verify, but I think DK was the only one that got this treatment. You can't always go by the size of dumped rom files, because there are A LOT of overdumps (as they are referred to) floating around the web. In most cases, these overdumps work just like a good dump, but the file size is larger.

For all kinds of great cart label variations (ie: like DK and US vs. Canadian), visit:

http://www.colecovisionzone.com/

Correction, NIAD-- the Standalone Adam didn't come with Donkey Kong, it only came with the 3 DDPs- Buck Rogers, SmartBasic, and the blank DDP.

The label variation is common for a handful of games that had the "& Adam" added to the label I would assume as a simple marketing ploy to help increase Adam exposure to CV owners and to remind Adam Owners that they could play the ColecoVision cartridges, too.

Correction, NIAD-- the Standalone Adam didn't come with Donkey Kong, it only came with the 3 DDPs- Buck Rogers, SmartBasic, and the blank DDP.

You are right Murph, here's what was included with the Stand Alone ADAM (Complete List):

- The Memory Console (the ADAM itself)

- Keyboard

- Keyboard Cord

- Game Controller X2 (Beige/Tan)

- Game Controller X1

- SmartWRITER Printer

- Pica 10 Print Wheel (Shipped inside Printer)

- Ribbon Cartridge (Shipped inside Printer)

- TV Antena Switch Box

- Video Cable

- 3-to-2 Prong Power Plug Adapter

- SmartBASIC Digital Data Pack (DDP)

- Buck Rogers Digital Data Pack (DDP)

- Blank Digital Data Pack (Blank DDP)

- Getting Started (Setup Manual)

- Programming with ADAM (SmartBASIC Manual)

- Typing with ADAM (Word Processing manual)

- SmartWRITER Easy Reference Guide

- Super Game Pak Guide

- Product Warranty Card

As for the DK ColecoVision/ADAM cart variation, there's no real proof of which product they come from

On my original Cart 1981/82? The DK version I had, on the second screen, I could get Items from the level above me by running and jumping at the correct time.

This was nice, you didn't have to take the time to get the item.

Example: Screen two, run to the right on the bottom level, on the second level on the right is a 300 point item. ( don't remember what it was? )

Anyway, if you jumped at the correct time, you could get the item from above and then just climb to the top, saving time.

I always save the second level to grab the hammer and kill fireballs while completing the screen.

I was not able to get the item above on the new version. This is a correction of course, but I liked the bug!

Gene

As for the DK ColecoVision/ADAM cart variation, there's no real proof of which product they come from

I'm not sure what other source they would have come from- either Colecovision pack-ins, or the standalone DK boxed version (which I never saw at retail back in the day.) But I did see the DK Adam variation, so I am convinced it WAS available with later ColecoVision consoles. :)

You are right Murph, here's what was included with the Stand Alone ADAM (Complete List):

I dont recall getting one of those with my new ADAM but I did get the plastic tray for attaching a controller to the keyboard - I suppose to use it as a numeric keypad. Also got a cloth impregnated with silicone to lubricate the printer carriage.

I'm not sure what other source they would have come from- either Colecovision pack-ins, or the standalone DK boxed version (which I never saw at retail back in the day.) But I did see the DK Adam variation, so I am convinced it WAS available with later ColecoVision consoles. :)

Sounds like a reasonable assumption. I would venture to guess that Coleco had huge numbers of labels pre-printed and stored that they would draw from as carts were produced. Once the ADAM came to be, whatever labels were in short supply simply got a re-design to add the "For ColecoVision & ADAM" when a new label run was required.

It makes sense that DK, Time Pilot, Pepper II and Mr. Do! were involved in this label re-design as DK was packaged with the CV and the others had to be some of the better sellers. In Victory's case, I would assume there was only a very small label run of "ColecoVision Presents" due to when it and the ADAM were released... especially since you don't see this label variation any where near as much as the "For CV & ADAM".

Edited by NIAD

I dont recall getting one of those with my new ADAM but I did get the plastic tray for attaching a controller to the keyboard - I suppose to use it as a numeric keypad. Also got a cloth impregnated with silicone to lubricate the printer carriage.

Yes, a 3-to-2 Prong Power Plug Adapter was included with both variations of the ADAM Computer... it's pictured in the ADAM Set-Up Manual on pages 8 and 10.

Don't remember ever seeing a silicone impregnated cloth in any CiB ADAMs, that's a new one on me. Going to have to double check the manuals to see if there is any mention of this as there was never an addendum sheet covering this.

I did get the plastic tray for attaching a controller to the keyboard - I suppose to use it as a numeric keypad.

Yeah, If you look at my list, I listed 2 Beige Controller, then One Controller, wich was indeed: 1x Game Controller Holder

Also got a cloth impregnated with silicone to lubricate the printer carriage.

Possible

I checked the Set-up manual and it says the 3-to-2 plug adapter not included in Canada.

Here's a picture of the silicone impregnated cloth. The instructions say see fig 11 page 11 of the Operating Tips brochure.

I've also got a packet with "Accoustic Isolation Feet" for the printer. Coleco guide No 17319. Has anyone else heard of these?

post-13580-0-98515000-1309232400_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-61461900-1309232550_thumb.jpg

I checked the Set-up manual and it says the 3-to-2 plug adapter not included in Canada.

Here's a picture of the silicone impregnated cloth. The instructions say see fig 11 page 11 of the Operating Tips brochure.

I've also got a packet with "Accoustic Isolation Feet" for the printer. Coleco guide No 17319. Has anyone else heard of these?

post-13580-0-98515000-1309232400_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-61461900-1309232550_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks for the pics. Seeing the picture now jars my memory, but in my systems that I bought and then others I saw firsthand during the mail-order days... this cloth and instruction addendum was never included.

The acoustic feet were never included in systems I saw, but we did have a small box of them that came with tons of other items from Coleco before they liquidated everything.

Be interested to hear when you guys bought your systems and I would have to assume that it was later in the lifespan of the system. A couple ways to know would be the inclusion of the white cover revised manuals (not spiral bound), the latest revision JVC Digital Data Drive with the speed adjustment screw on the top right corner instead of the bottom of the unit and if you look through the vents to the left of Expansion Slot #1, you should be able to see an RFI-1 on the power and data communications wires coming from the Printer power connector that connect to the ADAM Logic Board. Also, Coleco went with a clear plastic False Data Drive door in Bay #2 that did not obstruct one's view to the Expansion Slots.

If you ever open up the system, you should also have a fitted black plastic filler piece behind the card-edge connector that joins the ADAM Logic Board to the ColecoVision Delta Board and you will notice that the ADAM Logic Board is a lot cleaner looking in appearance than earlier boards. Originally, there was nothing placed behind the card-edge connector and they had some issues with these coming loose so they used the printer acoustic feet to prevent the connector from coming loose until the better remedy was devised.

Edited by NIAD

Well I had the acoustic feet too, but looks like one fell off. They didn't last long as I remember the printer was so heavy the feet squashed down to like less than 1/4 in from an inch thick or so.

I know my system was from later 1985 nov or dec. It came with the 3rd edition smartbasic book too, 1984 version spiral with gray cover.

My original ADAM is long gone. I got it in late 1983 and used it thru my first year of college.

Several years ago, I found out they sold ADAM's on ebay. I now own 2 they are both later models.

Edited by ed1475

NIAD (or anyone else who may be in the know), since we're on the topic, I never did come across an answer to this back in the day, but do you know what the story was behind the DDP drives? I'm wondering if it wasn't just the JVC change, but I seem to recall the earlier drives didn't have the spring in them, and had "Adam" font lettering where it said "Eject" by the door button-- while later ones said "Eject" in a generic font and had the spring. Is that all there wass to that, or were there more reasons/changes?

Edited by Murph74

NIAD (or anyone else who may be in the know), since we're on the topic, I never did come across an answer to this back in the day, but do you know what the story was behind the DDP drives? I'm wondering if it wasn't just the JVC change, but I seem to recall the earlier drives didn't have the spring in them, and had "Adam" font lettering where it said "Eject" by the door button-- while later ones said "Eject" in a generic font and had the spring. Is that all there wass to that, or were there more reasons/changes?

There were two original (early) Digital Data Drives produced that are referred to as "USA" and "Early JVC". The "USA" were obviously made here in the states (by Coleco, JVC or someone else???) and the "Early JVC" were made in Japan. I think you are correct in stating that one of these early drives , the "USA" version, did not have a coily spring whereas the other early drive , the "Early JVC", did have this coily spring just above the reflective rectangle on the back/center wall where the DDPs inserted. The screw mounts also formed a plant container shape... small on the bottom and larger on the top. The data pack insertion button also did not extend as far out as the newer JVC drives.

The newer/enhanced JVC drives had numerous chages/revision/upgrades. The screws around the reflective rectangle formed a rectangle as well, the data pack insertion push button grew in size and length (that sounds naughty :ponder: ), the coily spring was removed, a clip at the top of the drive that held the DDP in place tremendously better was added along with a better role bar that the clip was part of, and the read/write head went thru some improvements. These improvements, in essence, made the Digital Data Drive very reliable... at least until the end-user found a way to mess things up anyway. They also cut down on the amount of noise generated by the drive, especially in high speed seeks.

You are also right about the different text styles used for the word "EJECT" by the door release... the newer/enhanced version of the DDD used the ADAM style font lettering and the older "Early JVC" DDD used a generic squared off font.

I have the two different JVC drives, not the USA drive, and time has taken it's toll on my memory... if I come across one, I will snap pictures of all three to make things easier for people to know what to look for in these units.

Can't believe I forgot this... both early DDD revisions placed the speed adjustment screw on the bottom of the drive, which meant you had to remove it from the Memory Console with the Speed Check DDP running in the drive in order to adjust the speed at which the drive ran. The Newer JVC drive corrected this mistake and placed the speed adjustment screw on the top of the unit at the right/front corner.

If you have one of the "Newer JVC" drives, take good care of it as the other two older revisions aren't as reliable. Unfortunately, after all these years, we have to take what we can get.

Just got some ADAM warez and an early "USA" revision DDD...

The early "USA" revision drive is identical (or near identical... didn't desassemble it to see inside the unit) to the "Early JVC" drive that was made in Japan... including the coily spring and squared off font style used for the word "EJECT".

• 2 months later...

(24K ROM version of ColecoVision Donkey Kong)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0QnW-ogy4

(16K ROM version of ColecoVision Donkey Kong)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYh_JHn1S0

These videos are by YouTube user @acolyteman, executing the broken ladder glitch on both versions.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 2

On my original Cart 1981/82? The DK version I had, on the second screen, I could get Items from the level above me by running and jumping at the correct time.

This was nice, you didn't have to take the time to get the item.

Example: Screen two, run to the right on the bottom level, on the second level on the right is a 300 point item. ( don't remember what it was? )

Anyway, if you jumped at the correct time, you could get the item from above and then just climb to the top, saving time.

I always save the second level to grab the hammer and kill fireballs while completing the screen.

I was not able to get the item above on the new version. This is a correction of course, but I liked the bug!

Gene

You have the 24K ROM version which applied to the fall 1982 season.