IGNORED

Putting in Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on PS2

My friend has a lord of the rings PS2 title, and when you put it in it loads up a fully playable game of Crash Twinsanity. Has anyone else experienced this? Was this a manufacturing error? Is this worth hanging on to?

2uiaybs.jpg

(You'll just have to trust I didn't swap the game as a lame joke)

1zguiqv.jpg

PS - Wrong forum section. Oopsie. icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by Itchy Koala

I've never seen that before. I do have a misprinted DVD, my last disc of The West Wing Season 2 actually has episodes from the last disc of The West Wing Season 1 on it. Definitely a manufacturer's error and probably extremely rare.

A few years ago I bought the "Man With No Name" trilogy from Wal-Mart. The set was supposed to include the 161 minute theatrical version of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" with no commentary, but instead I got the DVD with the extended three hour version plus commentary. I'm not gonna complain about that!

I've seen this before while working at Gamestop. Somebody was trading in a copy of some Namco PS2 game, but when you booted it up, it was another game from an entirely different publisher. Looked 100% legit and booted on an umodded PS2 so we assumed it was a mix-up from the disc pressing plant.

Sometimes goodness can come from mislabeled products. I remember buying a labeled Q-Bert game for the NES that turned out to be Life Force. I didn't return it, though.

Did you actually buy that new at retail? If not, it's really easy for someone to open two NES carts and swap the PCBs between them.

Now a misprinted optical disc is definitely something that cannot be faked. Certainly a collector's piece that is!

Sometimes goodness can come from mislabeled products. I remember buying a labeled Q-Bert game for the NES that turned out to be Life Force. I didn't return it, though.

Did you actually buy that new at retail? If not, it's really easy for someone to open two NES carts and swap the PCBs between them.

Yes, I did buy it new years ago. Fortunately it wasn't around $40 when I bought it new.

I've worked on the lines that they use to package games. Sometimes we would receive mislabels that had to be scrapped. Looks like you got one that was sent out before the error was caught. How many people bought launch day PS2 games like Midnight Club, Fantavision etc. and received two copies of the game ?? That was a hand packaging error. Those would be packaged by hand and the media removed from a spindle and put in case. Sometimes you grabbed more than one media disc. My favorite misstake was a Mary Kate and Ashley PS1 game that had explicit material labels put on during packaging.

That can happen but is very rare. What happens is that the discs are stamped on one production line, and moved around on spindles to a different production line for printing the label.

All it takes is for two piles to get mixed up and you've got a disc and label that don't match. I think when I first heard about it years ago (late '90s), people had found both discs of the swapped pair.

The only mislabel I have experienced first-hand myself is when I bought Strider 2 for the PlayStation. It came with Strider 2 on one disc, and the original arcade Strider on the second. They were each labeled as such, but when I put in the Strider 2 disc, I got the original arcade Strider and vice-versa when I put in the other disc. Supposedly the early run had mislabeled discs, ha. At least they were in the same package though.. I would have been pissed if I got another game altogether on one of the discs! :lolblue:

• 3 weeks later...

The only mislabel I have experienced first-hand myself is when I bought Strider 2 for the PlayStation. It came with Strider 2 on one disc, and the original arcade Strider on the second. They were each labeled as such, but when I put in the Strider 2 disc, I got the original arcade Strider and vice-versa when I put in the other disc. Supposedly the early run had mislabeled discs, ha. At least they were in the same package though.. I would have been pissed if I got another game altogether on one of the discs! :lolblue:

All Strider 2 packages were mislabeled that way, mixing 1 and 2. Great game though. I still keep it close by, with a few of my favorites for PS2. I have trouble finding a suitable difficulty level though. I'm by no means talented, but the game itself seems overly generous.