IGNORED

Heatwave BBS

Mad Hatter

I know there's not many of you guys with land-line modems on your computers, but my BBS is now officially open. For now there is just dial-up service, however as I find time over the summer I plan to have it connected to the internet and available via TELNET or possibly as a URL. The system is running on actual hardware, a Geneve with 40 megs of hard disk space. I have added an AtariAge file section which contains most of the homebrew games from you fine programmers! The BBS is still a work in progress. It obviously is a BBS which focuses on the TI and Geneve.

Heatwave BBS

(602)/955-4491

8-N-1

24hrs/day

Edited by Mad Hatter
  • Like 3

Thanks Matthew, that's kind of the plan. I have a UDS-100 serial/ethernet adapter I am planning to use, and I have had success connecting my PC to the TI with it. I still need to get a static IP address set up though, but hopefully when I do it will go smoothly (yeah right!) Connecting it to the internet.

Thanks Matthew, that's kind of the plan. I have a UDS-100 serial/ethernet adapter I am planning to use, and I have had success connecting my PC to the TI with it. I still need to get a static IP address set up though, but hopefully when I do it will go smoothly (yeah right!) Connecting it to the internet.

This is definitely do-able. A few years ago I tested the BBS using a UDS10 device and for the most part it worked successfully. IIRC, the problems experienced were related to incoming handshaking (not presently supported by the BBS) and telnet limitations interrupting file transfers. The latter was "resolved" by using the standard Telnet port, though I believe a software fix would be do-able if a different port was required.

The UDS does require some configuration for proper carrier detection and DTR hangup. I was looking into using a 2nd RS232 to allow for both a modem and UDS device to hang off the BBS, but never got any farther.

Excellent to know. I definitely would like file x-fers to work when I get the system online. Hopefully I will have some time towards the end of the month to start tinkering with the UDS. What would be required to have the system operating with a dial-in line and an internet connection. Some modification of S&T code I assume.

This is definitely do-able. A few years ago I tested the BBS using a UDS10 device and for the most part it worked successfully. IIRC, the problems experienced were related to incoming handshaking (not presently supported by the BBS) and telnet limitations interrupting file transfers. The latter was "resolved" by using the standard Telnet port, though I believe a software fix would be do-able if a different port was required.

The UDS does require some configuration for proper carrier detection and DTR hangup. I was looking into using a 2nd RS232 to allow for both a modem and UDS device to hang off the BBS, but never got any farther.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heatwave is telnet only. I worked with my local phone company, even before taking the BBS reins from MadHatter, to get a phone line that would operate properly with a dial-up modem. Whatever they are doing between my home and the central office renders connections nearly impossible, even at the slowest speeds.

Since TI users can connect their systems via Telnet using a Lantronix UDS device or through other solutions like TCPSer, and since TheKeep graciously provides pass-through for its users that desire dial-up, I am not pursuing other options.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/10/2011 at 10:35 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I know there's not many of you guys with land-line modems on your computers, but my BBS is now officially open. For now there is just dial-up service, however as I find time over the summer I plan to have it connected to the internet and available via TELNET or possibly as a URL. The system is running on actual hardware, a Geneve with 40 megs of hard disk space. I have added an AtariAge file section which contains most of the homebrew games from you fine programmers! The BBS is still a work in progress. It obviously is a BBS which focuses on the TI and Geneve

I was poking around my files today and was reminded that this month marks 10 years for Heatwave BBS ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...