IGNORED

Is it just me, or is Nintendo of America really making their fans mad?

Animan

The three Wii games that aren't coming to America.

The lack of 3DSWare games in the eShop.

The late arrival of Netflix and "Nintendo Video" in America for the 3DS.

The lack of decent 3DS games at launch (that Nintendo just seemed to love).

I don't know. I'm a diehard Ninty fan, but even I'm beginning to wonder what's going at Nintendo of America.

-sent from my Nintendo 3DS

• Like 1

I understand those 3 games likely would have had lackluster sales. I completely understand that decision. It bothers fans, I get it, but in the end they really did seem like niche titles at the end of a console lifespan and given how poor Wii software sales have been lately, I can see why they might have decided not to push them out.

The 3DS launch is absolutely inexcusable though. The DS launch was weak and I was kind of understanding as it was a new tech and pretty unproven and at the time even Nintendo hadn't fully committed to the hardware (they called it their third tier, to coexist with the Gameboy line). This time it's just terrible. I wanted a reason to buy it, but still can't come up with one, so I bought a 2nd hand PSP for a temporary upgrade from my DS.

The 3 games were:

-The Last Story

-Xenoblade

-Pandora's Tower

Look up Operation Rainfall. It'll answer all your questions.

And yes, you can play import games on the Wii (through hacking), but NoA shouldn't be sitting on what looks like quality games.

I'm not buying Skyward Sword because the story sounds goofy as shit. I got tired of japanese highschool drama long ago. The game looks nice, but I don't know if I can stomach the corny dialog.

At least I've got a bajillion other Wii games to catch up on. Red Steel 2, Wario Land, both Mario Galaxies...

Edited by Rex Dart

Those three games wouldn't be such a big deal if Nintendo had some other games in the pipeline. Other than Zelda and Kirby, there really isn't much else coming in the next year or so. With the Wii being more successful than GameCube was, I didn't think they would abandon it this early.

Supposedly Xenoblade and one of the others are actually coming to NA. I know that Xenoblade is definitely getting a European release, so with a hacked Wii you should be able to enjoy that.

But yeah, you're right, sometimes it really does seem like Nintendo has some sort of problem with North America. I know that the "Nintendo Club" or whatever the fan club is called seems to get really cool exclusive things in Japan, with more of a chance of those things showing up in EU than NA. It's sort of confusing really, and while I don't know for sure and have no numbers to back this up, I'd be surprised if the US wasn't where Nintendo makes most of their money.

The other thing is that the JRPG is the "victim" of what I call the "internet majority syndrome". By this I mean JRPGs seem to have a huge audience on the net, while in "real life" this audience is not even close to being as big as it seems. This could also be why they're reluctant to release those games here. They're also not the only ones that have done it - I can't believe Microsoft and Capcom haven't released the online Monster Hunter and it's addons in the US - but then again Monster Hunter Tri didn't really pickup in popularity for the Wii here until it hit the bargain bin, and now it's always one of the most looked at Wii titles at Gamefaqs.

There are loads of Japanese games that I wish would come out here - but on Nintendo, yeah, I also wish they would take more chances with NA, because sometimes it really does feel like a slap in the face.

I wish I could find the original link now but I remember reading a good article on gonintendo.com about how Nintendo of America has practically zero clout when it comes to getting games released. The article described how NOA begged and pleaded with Nintendo of Japan to get classic Star Wars games released on Virtual Console and Japan flat out refused. Yes, we finally got Super Star Wars, Super Empire, and Super Jedi but the article went into details of how NOA had to seriously impress upon Japan that western gamers really enjoy those titles and it is worth the Wii putting them out there.

Personally I think the reason no N64 titles for Star Wars ever came out is because Japan agreed to humor NOA to see if the Super SW titles sold well on VC but then forgot about the whole deal.

Regardless, the article easily illustrated to me that when it really comes down to it, Reggie has no influence. Everyone here in the west can scream at the top of their lungs for stuff they want to happen on Nintendo products but if Iwata's side of the company is not going to bother then it's simply not going to happen, end of story.

Nintendo is like any other company, in that they do things some customers really appreciate and do things that some customers despise.

For myself, owning a Nintendo system offers some excellent benefits:

... the Wii and DS are quality, well manufactured systems

... Nintendo customer service is second to no one

... the Nintendo Rewards program gives me freebies just for buying their products

... the Wii has excellent 3rd party exclusives: Dawn of Discovery, Red Steel 2, Little Kings Story, Zak & Wiki, and many more

... 1st party titles, such as Super Mario Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Pokemon are, without a doubt, the best

... hardware and software are cheaper to purchase than the other systems

Downsides:

... Nintendo often forgets about accessories it introduces, such as Wii Speak

... Nintendo has forgotten it has a Virtual Console store

... systems are region locked so I can't import titles not brought to North America

... purchases from the Nintendo store are locked to the purchasing console and non-transferable

Ann Landers once wrote of relationships that everyone has to decide "Am I better off with or without him/her". There are things that Nintendo does that I don't agree with but when I stop and really think about it, I'm better off owning a Nintendo than not owning one.

Mendon

• Like 2

as soon as i saw pandoras tower i knew it wasn't coming here. there was another cool looking wii game put out by nintendo a year or 2 ago (i can't remember the title, it was something weird) where you fight giants. i knew that one wasn't coming out here either.

i wish nintendo would at least give the games a shot. but ever since their inception n.o.a. has treated the american market like we're a bunch of retarded kids. we don't get xenoblade but nintendo has no problem publishing Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzins Number Fun (made up game lol) in america.