IGNORED

Favorite Dreamcast game

What's your favorite Dreamcast game? I'm looking for some recommendations. So far I have Ms. Pac-Man, Sega Rally, Sonic Adventure, Hydro Thunder, the homebrew Mahjong one and the homebrew Feet of Fury (which I would like to sell to anyone who's interested because I don't like those kind of games. I think I got it free from a promotion the Goat Store was having.) I love Hydro Thunder over Wave Race 64 because there's no slaloming effect plus I did the Easter Egg trick to unlock all the boats and courses.

Virtua Tennis is one of the best sports games of all time for any system. I don't like tennis and I don't like tennis games, but this one is awesome.

Crazy Taxi is fantastic. I had the wheel back in my DC days, so I can't say how much fun it is with the standard controller.

Chu Chu Rocket and Mr Driller are both absolute must haves. Chu Chu Rocket is a great 4 player game. Crazy fast pace action.

Sonic Adventure, by far. It was kind of like Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar: even without any other killer apps, that game alone made the console worth having.

SA2 is okay, but a far cry from the original SA. If you're into racing games, San Francisco Rush 2049 got an expanded port on the Dreamcast that got lots of good reviews. The Dreamcast port was then re-ported into Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the XBox, PS2 and Game Cube.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Grandia II gets my vote.

It's linear, and maybe too easy, but the story just goes nuts. The battle system is also a wonder to behold. Scenery is nice too. One of my favorite RPG's of all time. DC version is superior to the PS2 port.

Others considered.

• San Francisco Rush 2049 - There was no reason for there to be so much added depth to this game, but it's welcome.
  • Capcom VS. SNK 2 - My favorite 2d fighter to this day.

Lots of good games on DC, but I'm limiting myself to mentioning 3.

Edited by Reaperman

Hard to pick just 3 favorite DC games, but here goes:

Phantasy Star Online - in my top 5 games of all time. Pretty much perfect in all respects.

Skies of Arcadia - fantastic RPG with unique ship-to-ship battles, a fun story, and just a great game all around. One of my all-time favorite RPGs.

Shenmue 2 - just epic. It fixed some of the annoying bits of the first game, which I still liked. Gorgeous game and a fun story to play through.

[Edit] I can't resist some runners up: Metropolis Street Racer is the last racer I ever got into. It's just a masterpiece. Tons of fun, and better (imho) than any of the billion sequels it spawned. Capcom vs. SNK 2 is one of the greatest fighters ever. Mars Matrix is a super addicting shmup, and the only 'bullet hell' shmup I ever liked. Crazy Taxi - another super fun 'pick up and play' game. The sequel is also a blast. Different Strokes for different folks, but I just hated Sonic Adventure. I tried multiple times over several years to get into it, but it's just a buggy, confusing mess of a game. I liked SA2 a lot better, but that's just me.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I'm going to list some racing games because the Dreamcast did them so well!

Metropolis Street Racer is a fantastic driving game by the makers of Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox.

Revolt - Really fun RC racer.

Speed Devils - An excellent arcade racing game.

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer - The sense of speed is really nice and the graphics are the DC version destroy the N64/PS1 versions.

F355 Challenge Passione Rossa - The Gran Turismo of the DC, but they focus on one car only: The classic Ferrari F355

Whenever this topic comes up (and it comes up a lot :ponder: ) I always have to put a good word in for Demolition Racer: No Exit. :thumbsup:

This one was the only game to come home with me when I first bought a DC and it will be the last one to ever leave. :love:

• Like 1

Dreamcast has a lot of great titles. There is really no reason I don't play it more than I do :sad:

I can only comment on the ones I've played but you have some great ones already, Sonic Adventures (I'd look into 2 as well), Sega Rally and Hydro Thunder. House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil CV, Rayman 2, Ready to Rumble, and the NFL2k series are very good as well.

Edited by GKC

So far it is Sonic Adventure because that was the game that made me want/need a Dreamcast, but I have not played through very many Dreamcast games yet. So far the only Dreamcast games I have ever beaten before were Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi, and possibly Tony Hawks' Pro Skater and Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX however those two I might have just used cheats on to unlock everything. They are going to get legitimate re-playthroughs. There are a lot of Dreamcast games I kept because they seem cool to play but I haven't gotten to them yet.

It's a tie for me between Giga Wing or Mars Matrix for me. I thoroughly enjoy most of the Dreamcast's library though. It has a really solid good-to-bad ratio. Even some of the stuff that's considered terribly mediocre can be fun (Soul Fighter, anyone?). I can't think of too many systems like that..

Virtua Tennis is one of the best sports games of all time for any system. I don't like tennis and I don't like tennis games, but this one is awesome.

YES! I agree! The original "Virtua Tennis" is more fun than "Tennis 2K2" which was the later release on the Dreamcast itself (and other systems like PS2/etc).

Chu Chu Rocket and Mr Driller are both absolute must haves. Chu Chu Rocket is a great 4 player game. Crazy fast pace action.

YES! I until Chu Chu Rocket on GBA, it was the only way to play!

I just received a new copy of Chu-Chu Rocket for the Dreamcast, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'd have to agree with many of the titles that have been mentioned: Sonic Adventure (the original; I don't own #2), and the Midway arcade ports like Hydro Thunder and San Fransisco Rush 2049. I also like The Next Tetris, but I prefer the PlayStation version because I think the Dreamcast version went a little overboard with the animated junk in the background and in the user interface. I own a copy of Crazy Taxi, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

(As an aside, anyone who likes the Midway titles I mentioned for the Dreamcast should definitely check out Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the Gamecube: I got this today for my niece and nephew to play on their Wii, and the versions of Hydro Thunder and San Fransisco Rush 2049 that are included are actually the Dreamcast versions, and so far they seem to play perfectly on the Wii. STUN Runner is also included, so those three titles alone made this collection more than worth the ten dollars I paid for my used copy.)