IGNORED

Why the hate for "phone" controllers?

And lets not forget, when the INtellivision was trying to compete with the 2600 and present an arcadey game, the controller did indeed suck ass, but when you pop in a RPG or strategy game, the controller really shined. Gonna go play me some Utopia.....

For functions that don't have to be operated by reflex, a keypad can indeed be better than the assortment of buttons around a controller. For example, even though an XBOX360 controller has plenty of triggers, buttons, and such to accommodate numeric entry, a person would need quite a bit of practice to enter numbers as smoothly or as naturally as a newcomer could do with a numeric pad. Numeric pads are not good for actions that must be performed by reflex, and the use of detachable/losable overlays was a significant problem, but I would think a keypad with an LCD behind it to label the 'buttons' would be a useful feature for some games.

• Like 1

The N64 controller is decent so as long as you grip it in the center rather than reach your thumb over to manipulate the stick. Most games don't use the d-pad anyways.

Which makes me wonder why they even felt the need to put a third branch on that thing in the first place.

I still think overlays are a cool concept. They don't work for primary action buttons but they're useful for secondary stuff that you don't need to push quickly. Using an overlay with 12 buttons under it you can make the interface more user friendly, and allow these functions to be used freely without navigating a menu.

That said I've only ever used them on an Intellivision, and I had some trouble with it.

Seems to me it ought to be possible to design a controller that has good ergonomics, good primary action buttons, but also has a space for an overlay. For 2D systems anyway, maybe not 3D systems with all the extra stuff they need.

I've never used a Jaguar but I wonder if I'd like those controllers.

The overlay concept isn't much different from PC games with tons of keyboard functions, except keyboard overlays aren't very practical so people just memorize the buttons.

The only hate I seem to have with "phone" controllers is the type of joystick or joypad it gets saddled with. Of those type of controllers I have used, the ColecoVision one seems to be the one I had less problems using. Had Atari bothered using a self-centering analog stick with their Atari 5200 controller instead of the non-centering analog stick it ended up with, I might have been an owner of that system. It had some good ideas, like adding a Start, Reset, and Pause button, but the joystick part just killed it. Maybe the 1980s Atari of another reality had better luck with this.

I don't mind the phonestyle controllers. I think it's a nice concept to have those overlays. The only problem i have is with sideways placed action buttons. I must have pretty strange hands, but i'm unable to hold a stick and use the sidebuttons with the hand holding the stick, without letting the controller slip out of my hands.

The N64 controller is decent so as long as you grip it in the center rather than reach your thumb over to manipulate the stick. Most games don't use the d-pad anyways.

Which makes me wonder why they even felt the need to put a third branch on that thing in the first place.

F'sho, ever see the mini pad that Hori made for the N64? Way better design.

I don't mind the phonestyle controllers. I think it's a nice concept to have those overlays. The only problem i have is with sideways placed action buttons. I must have pretty strange hands, but i'm unable to hold a stick and use the sidebuttons with the hand holding the stick, without letting the controller slip out of my hands.

No, it's a two handed operation with those breasts, with both hands clinched. That's why so many people get hand cramps. I've read a few posts on side firing buttons tonight, and it occures to me that no controller that ever had them was popular.

Not understanding the dismissal of the N64 controller's d-pad.. I can think of a bunch of games that used it. :?

It was excellent for adjusting camera angles, also to change sound settings during play.

But like you, it's clear where my loyalties lie.

Edited by toptenmaterial

Not understanding the dismissal of the N64 controller's d-pad.. I can think of a bunch of games that used it. :?

I wish more games supported it. I was especially annoyed by that in Paper Mario, I hate being forced to use the analog stick in that game. It's not necessary, but the programmers don't give you a choice.

I kind of like the phone-style keypad inputs. It was pretty flexible and I thought it added the ability to get deep without making complexity a central part of the control scheme. However, the biggest reason those controllers get bagged on is really a question of ergonomics - that "long" style of controller you hold the base and press the side buttons with one hand while you use the other hand for the stick just isn't comfortable. That type of pressure on your hands creates cramps. None of them are as bad as the ProLines, and that has no keypad.

The CV Super Action Controller has the keypad on top, you hold it differently, and it's super comfortable. Nobody complains about that one.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I kind of like the phone-style keypad inputs. It was pretty flexible and I thought it added the ability to get deep without making complexity a central part of the control scheme. However, the biggest reason those controllers get bagged on is really a question of ergonomics - that "long" style of controller you hold the base and press the side buttons with one hand while you use the other hand for the stick just isn't comfortable. That type of pressure on your hands creates cramps. None of them are as bad as the ProLines, and that has no keypad.

The CV Super Action Controller has the keypad on top, you hold it differently, and it's super comfortable. Nobody complains about that one.

I thought we were talking about this. I never had a problem with a grid of buttons on the face. I do think that the modern setup where you can't possibly keep all of your fingers on all of the relevant gameplay buttons is more confusing.

I never had a problem with a grid of buttons on the face. I do think that the modern setup where you can't possibly keep all of your fingers on all of the relevant gameplay buttons is more confusing.

I can't think of any games that require you to hit all the buttons at once, so that's not really an issue for me. Movable fingers, you see. Now if a keypad used all the buttons, you'd have just as difficult a time, if not worse.

At least you can hit any modern gamepad button without looking at the controller, eh? Quick, hit "7" without looking or groping for it. Nope, that was "4".

I too appreciate the N64 controller for what it is, a shot in the dark of the polygonal world. The same thing was common with the "phone" controllers of the early 80s, just experimentation because nobody knew what was the best way to make a good yet multi-functional controller. I love how so many people here fail to realize the parallel here. :roll:

The N64 was probably the 4th or 5th system I ever had contact with. Prior machines were Apple ][, SNES, the Game Boy line and Windows PC.

I recently picked up a couple of games, or apps as the kids say, for my iPhone 3GS. The first was the new Atari emulator, which plays 2600 and arcade games. The graphics and sound are smooth, but the controls are terrible to the point of being unplayable.

The second was the F-SIM Shuttle, a realistic space shuttle simulator. The object is to glide your shuttle to touchdown from various altitudes and weather conditions. It looks and plays great, and the tilt controls are spot-on. The exception is one spot after touchdown, where you are required to use "analog" on the touch screen.

As others have suggested, games that are specifically designed for mobile devices have the potential to work well, while older arcade ports which require quick, precise movement tend to get lost in translation.

when I think of awful controllers I think of Xbox controllers.

I think of Quickshot.

Or Le Stick.

Is the Video Game Critic right about how much the Sega sports pad sucks? Anyone try this thing? http://videogamecritic.net/masterfl.htm#Great_Ice_Hockey

Wow, he gave it the full F-!!

I've noticed you referenced him a couple of times. I too am very fond of his reviews- he doesn't always like the games I like, but he usually hates the games I hate. :D I had to laugh when he wrote that the XEGS was designed by a gay interior decorator.

He has an account on AA, you should PM him sometime.

Edited by toptenmaterial