IGNORED

First game of the new year

t.skid

An useless thread :D

What will be the first game of the year you will play on the Jaguar ?

My answer come later... in Italy we are already in 2003, but I power up my Jaguar after sleep :)

Happy new year, and a lot of new games and new developers for the Jag in 2003!!!

Never ever a Jaguar game... No way. I bought the system at its release in Europe and over the time allmost every game available and out of 40 (?) games there was only AvP worth playing.

This system was only a waste of money. I was so disapointed by the games, you can't imagine... I was the guy everyone laught about in our game development company. At least I could sell my complete collection for a reasonable price back in '99...

The biggest disapointment from Atari I ever had. I will stuck with the VCS till the end of days.

Jaguar-fans, please don't be mad at me:)

Best,

Marc

Never ever a Jaguar game... No way. I bought the system at its release in Europe and over the time allmost every game available and out of 40 (?) games there was only AvP worth playing.

This system was only a waste of money. I was so disapointed by the games, you can't imagine... I was the guy everyone laught about in our game development company. At least I could sell my complete collection for a reasonable price back in '99...

The biggest disapointment from Atari I ever had. I will stuck with the VCS till the end of days.

Best,

Marc

Marc, sorry to hear your experience with the Jaguar was so bad. What about games like Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Atari Karts, Rayman, Battlemorph and Iron Soldier. And now you have incredible games like Battlesphere, Protector, Hyper Force and Skyhammer..... You might want to give the Jaguar another look....

Jason

Marc, sorry to hear your experience with the Jaguar was so bad.  What about games like Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Atari Karts, Rayman, Battlemorph and Iron Soldier.  And now you have incredible games like Battlesphere, Protector, Hyper Force and Skyhammer.....   You might want to give the Jaguar another look....

Jason

Jason, you're right!! I could only add NBA JAM - wonderful game, best conversion ever made, better than PSX -.

Marc have his own view; I have mine, and I enjoy also less popoular games like Dragon... but I'm a Jag maniac :)

Best,

Marc

Yeah, like I'm going to believe you work for a game developer? Are you just here to cause flames???

The only logical conclusion is what Thunderbird said, otherwise, why would he even be reading the Jag forum or answering posts here if he hated it so much? I don't go to sites of systems I hate just to say I hate the system, why should I waste my time? Very lame.

My first Jag game to be played in the new year will be either Skyhammer or Iron Soldier II. I haven't played them for a couple months. My last Jag games played in the last couple weeks of 2002 were Battlesphere, SpaceWar 2K and Val'di Isere S&S. I'd like my first games of '03 to be BSG and Protector:SE, but who knows if or when I'll ever get my hands on a copy of BSG (I still have money set aside!) and Protector:SE I'm ordering friday, but I'm sure I'll play my Jag before it arrives! I also want to check out BI/WN, but it will be a bit before Clint gets those out too...hopefully soon though! Oh, I think I may order Phase Zero too, so it will be one of the first too!

Well I was playing AVP. Started at 11:30 pm or so and played till after midnight :D . I was suppose to go to a rave (first time in years) but deicded to save my money and the hangover and just play the Jag.

Arek

http://www.futureassassin.com

http://www.hardmusic.ca

http://www.wiredcompany.ca

http://www.hydroculture.ca

My first Jag game of 2003 was a rousing game of Defender 2000 (plus, actually). This would have gone better if I hadn't been drinking champagne.....

Thunderbird - are you going to release another run of Battlesphere? If so, is there a preorder list or anything, or a means to prepay for the game? I'm dying to get this...

Marc, sorry to hear your experience with the Jaguar was so bad.  What about games like Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Atari Karts, Rayman, Battlemorph and Iron Soldier.  And now you have incredible games like Battlesphere, Protector, Hyper Force and Skyhammer.....   You might want to give the Jaguar another look....

Jason

@Jason

Yep, you are right for sure, that there is quite a bunch of good games (but Defender 2000? well not my type of games, I am think I am too old for fast action games:). But I wanted a great console and top notch games from Atari. I always had Atari, started with the VCS, 800XL, lots of STs and I hoped for something great.

@Thunderbird + Gunstar

But the Jaguar failed my expactations big and it was not only the hardware limitations. The major failure was a very bad marketing and an arrogant behavior from Atari vs interested developers. I know that there were 3 major German game developers who wanted to develope for the Lynx and the Jaguar (one of them was my former company) but they all were turned down by Atari with a comment like that they have enough games in the pipeline and that there was no real need for more 3rd-Party developers...

I think I shouldn't have posted the post into this thread, sorry for that, but it wasn't meant to be a flame, just my personal opinion.

Best,

Marc

My first Jag game of 2003 was a rousing game of Defender 2000 (plus, actually).  This would have gone better if I hadn't been drinking champagne.....

Thunderbird - are you going to release another run of Battlesphere?  If so, is there a preorder list or anything, or a means to prepay for the game?  I'm dying to get this...

No prepays, but people who email the ordering address on our website they get put on the waiting list.

@Thunderbird + Gunstar

But the Jaguar failed my expactations big and it was not only the hardware limitations. The major failure was a very bad marketing and an arrogant behavior from Atari vs interested developers. I know that there were 3 major German game developers who wanted to develope for the Lynx and the Jaguar (one of them was my former company) but they all were turned down by Atari with a comment like that they have enough games in the pipeline and that there was no real need for more 3rd-Party developers...

Marc

Well, you are right about the poor marketing and such, but that's because Atari had no money to spend on it and what litthe they had the didn't want to spend.

However, I find it hard to believe they would turn away a developer who had a good reputation and good history with Atari. Tere could be a number of reasons they were turned away:

1) The jag was already dying when the developer approached atari and they didn't want to say "no thanks, the Jag is dead" to the developers.

2) The developer had no previous work on the market and were unknown to anyone. They didn't want to give away development systems to just every Demo-Coder who asked for one.

3) The developer in question had bad relations with Atari in the past, or flamed Atari in public or flamed Atari management in the past. Atari could hold a grudge and deny them access to be a developer based on bad relations.

There could be other reasons, but those are examples...

@Thunderbird

Well, Kingsoft (founded in 1983 and in 1995 sold to Electronic Arts) wasn't known as a world wide game developer/publisher (made tons of games for C16/+4, C64, Atari XL, Atari ST, Amiga, some where good, some bad, most average, best know games Grandmaster for the C64, Pinball Wizard and Emerlad Mines for Amiga). We met Atari UK several times (I think it was 1991 or 1992) but they were so difficult to negotiate with that we dropped the ball in frustration. We tried to contact Atari US but were always asked to contact Atari UK (same with Sega, by the way:).

Personally I think they simply decided that Germany wasn't (isn't) a place where games were (are) developed and that's all. Sad thing, I allways wanted to do at least one game for a Atari console:(

Nowdays we do games for the GBA and PC (hopefully we will port our actual PC game to the XBox:).

Best,

Marc

Marc,

You can do at least 1 game for an Atari console... the Jaguar :)

You can make it and sell it (woohoo)!! ;-)

or port it if you prefer? but hell, you _can_ do it now, and without Atari getting in your way ;-)

Clint Thompson

:P

Clint is right. Anyone can do a Jag game these days for little or no money and only a short period of time. I suspect a lot of people have ST and Amiga games that would port to the Jaguar very simply.

By the way, my "Defector SL" Easter-Egg Game was originally an ST Game which was ported to the Jaguar in less than a week part time.

I did that to show it could be done very easily.

My first Jag game of 2003 was a rousing game of Defender 2000 (plus, actually).  This would have gone better if I hadn't been drinking champagne.....

Thunderbird - are you going to release another run of Battlesphere?  If so, is there a preorder list or anything, or a means to prepay for the game?  I'm dying to get this...

No prepays, but people who email the ordering address on our website they get put on the waiting list.

Am I on your list? I don't remember if I e-mailed you through your ordering address or to your e-mail address directly.

Back on topic.. my First game of 2003 with be BJL :) codings a game right? you have to solve the puzzle of getting the magic code words and numbers in the right order to make the game work :)

Not sure there are sooo many games I need to spend more time playing, but when my BJL EPROM arrives I'll be more interested in playing with that (I went same way with ST, more time coding than playing :) )

But I think a stint of Raiden is called for... or maybee more Ruiner Pinball...

Back on topic.. my First game of 2003 with be BJL :) codings a game right?  you have to solve the puzzle of getting the magic code words and numbers in the right order to make the game work :)

Not sure there are sooo many games I need to spend more time playing, but when my BJL EPROM arrives I'll be more interested in playing with that (I went same way with ST, more time coding than playing :) )

But I think a stint of Raiden is called for...  or maybee more Ruiner Pinball...

Is ruiner very fun? I had heard it was a total crap game, I went with Pinball fantasies which is good. If you reccimend it, maybe I'll give it a shot. I'll eventually be collecting all the supposed "crap" games I don't have yet anyway, since my final goal is to have everything there is for the Jag...but I'll make it my next "for collection purposes only" game and ive it a shot if you give me the recommendation. Obviously you like it some if your going to play it, but what rating would you give it % wise or on a 1-10 scale, etc.?

Is ruiner very fun? I had heard it was a total crap game, I went with Pinball fantasies which is good. If you reccimend it, maybe I'll give it a shot. I'll eventually be collecting all the supposed "crap" games I don't have yet anyway, since my final goal is to have everything there is for the Jag...but I'll make it my next "for collection purposes only" game and ive it a shot if you give me the recommendation. Obviously you like it some if your going to play it, but what rating would you give it % wise or on a 1-10 scale, etc.?

I have both Pinball Fantasies and Ruiner... I have played Ruiner more. There are only 2 tables, but they are BIG tables. it's not what I'd call a standard table. They are a LOT larger and have a lot more going on than the pinball fantasies tables, which I found quite bland.

I have never really played any pinball games in the past, I rember pinball fantasies being hyped by friends on the Amiga, but never actually played it.

I have enjoyed games of Ruiner, the two tables are very different, I found the graphics good, and the music very good. The way the tables are layed out is interesting and probably not possible in the real world which obvioulsy they don't have too. One table is double width, where you go through a shoot to the next table, and likewise back again, and the other table (Tower) is 3 tables stacked one ontop of the other.

I would give it a 7-8 and pinball fantasies 4-5

I don't think my copy was massivley expensive off ebay. It's worth a look. does the rom work on PT? maybee a cheap way of finding out? let me know what you think when you get it.

My first game of 2003 was Solving the last few missions of Mechassault. Overall it's quite good, but has some annoying bugs. Audio glitches, etc. One level I was stuck on for hours because the mission briefing said I needed a Mech with Jump-jets... The problem with those mechs is they are too weak to complete the objective. If you take a big bad heavy mech you can beat it easily and never need to fly at all... ever. But the briefing recommended a flying mech.