IGNORED

Atari 800XL Power Supply Pinout

Oge

I have read here the Power Pinout for a 800XL and I would like to ask two questions:

1) Is the pinout viewed from soldering side?

I placed this at the top of the page:

pins numbered as when looking to the chassis built in the peripheral

and when clicking it it'll show you this:

pinview.gif

Can't make it more clear.

2) Is it truly compatible with all the XL/XE range excepting 400/800/1200XL?

The pin-outs... yes.

• 3 years later...

They are all connected to the same supply, not three separate supplies. Basically, each pin would carry only 1/3 of the current...

While true, seems unnecessary They could of just as easily used a two pin connector. May have been an Industry or Atari 'standard' back then to use DIN for DC connectors as I have seen other vintage gear with 2 pin DIN connectors. Today the coaxial power connector is common due to size mainly.

Yogi

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, Rybags said:

You'll often get a higher voltage when no load is present.  Not sure what mine measured, might have been around 5.1

A symptom of overvoltage to the point where damage is possible can be constant audio hum.

Thanks! The reason I'm asking is I recently got an 800XL without cables and stuff for cheap, but just the base unit. I'm checking if any of my existing power supplies (for phones or other electronic gadgets) might suffice as a substitute PSU. I think all I would need is a 7-pin DIN connector and wire/solder it properly to the PSU output and it should work, right?

Power outlets here in the Philippines are 220V/60Hz. Shipping costs make it economically crazy to buy a PSU from overseas.

I'm trying to cobble together cables and the power supply myself to keep costs down.

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

A 1.5 Amp USB charger might be a good choice - then you just have to attach the DIN plug to a USB cable, e.g. salvage one from an old keyboard or something.

You only need to solder 2 pins on the PS plug, they went overkill with the choice for that one.

Would a charger with output rating +5V 2A be ok?  This was what I took a 5.2V reading off of.

Would a PSU for an Atari 65XE work with the 800XL? I'm too lazy to google and wade through the answers right now.

From what I've read so far, the 65XE PSUs output +5v at 1.0A whereas the 800XL PSUs output +5v at 1.5A. Is this right?

Will there be any overheating issues? Limitations on upgrades, etc.?

5 minutes ago, pusakat said:

Would a PSU for an Atari 65XE work with the 800XL? I'm too lazy to google and wade through the answers right now.

From what I've read so far, the 65XE PSUs output +5v at 1.0A whereas the 800XL PSUs output +5v at 1.5A. Is this right?

Will there be any overheating issues? Limitations on upgrades, etc.?

yes

• Like 1