IGNORED

How do you open an Intellivision Cart Shell?

coyo5050

There are a few different types of screwless cartridges. The INTV-era cartridges I own all have a square panel on the underside, and these look pretty much the same as the originals except that the panels are attached with plastic posts instead of screws (they might also have used some kind of adhesive). I don't know of any easy way to get these open without damaging the shell. The least-destructive way might be to use a 1/4" drill bit on the plastic posts (where the screw holes used to be; you can usually see the circle footprints), just enough to drill through the panel and separate it from the posts. I've used a similar technique with Atari cartridges that I wanted to open without cutting through the label and removing the screw: I drilled through the back until the screw post was disconnected from the shell.

The "solid" shells (usually late Mattel and Intellivision Inc. releases) used a small plastic guide to secure the board. There is a pair of ridges molded into each of the side walls on the inside, and the cartridge board slides in between them. The plastic guide is then slipped in over the board fingers, and it has a pair of plastic tabs on the sides which snap into the ridges and hold the board in place. If your cartridge is one of these, you should be able to see the tabs if you look on either side of the board (I'd post pictures if I had my camera with me.)

I've had a few of these types of cartridges in which the guides came loose when I tried to remove them from the console; the shell slid right off and left the board stuck inside the cartridge port. That might be the best way to open these cartridges: grip the side tabs with a small pair of needle-nose pliers and slowly work the guide out, one side at a time. The board should come out fairly easily after that.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

In anticipation of the arrival of the Shark Shark board I found this thread and used the advice to pull apart a non functional Tarmin cart.  Turns out the cart does work.  The board was sitting so far back in the cart it wasn't making appropriate contact with the cartridge slot.   Maybe this is no longer a good candidate.  Anyone ever pull apart a Coleco Donkey Kong cart?  I have one that doesn't work so maybe I can use that?  

image.thumb.png.83d3fedad837044c708f9ac663b1b544.png

4 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

In anticipation of the arrival of the Shark Shark board I found this thread and used the advice to pull apart a non functional Tarmin cart.  Turns out the cart does work.  The board was sitting so far back in the cart it wasn't making appropriate contact with the cartridge slot.   Maybe this is no longer a good candidate.  Anyone ever pull apart a Coleco Donkey Kong cart?  I have one that doesn't work so maybe I can use that?  

image.thumb.png.83d3fedad837044c708f9ac663b1b544.png

C'mon,you cant do that to Donkey Kong.

That game is legendary!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

C'mon,you cant do that to Donkey Kong.

That game is legendary!

Well there is no point as the Shark board won't fit.   The particular DK cart I was going to use is dead so it would have been nice to use since I don't like to (and won't) toss out Intellivision stuff. 

I did find a Triple Action cart with the triangle screws that opened (I don't have the correct screwdriver) with a Phillips tip and my greatly enhanced human strength.  When the board arrives I can try with D&D cart or the Triple Action one.  All else fails I have an old Bomb Squad and Space Spartan loose cart with the Phillips screws.

6 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Well there is no point as the Shark board won't fit.   The particular DK cart I was going to use is dead so it would have been nice to use since I don't like to (and won't) toss out Intellivision stuff. 

I did find a Triple Action cart with the triangle screws that opened (I don't have the correct screwdriver) with a Phillips tip and my greatly enhanced human strength.  When the board arrives I can try with D&D cart or the Triple Action one.  All else fails I have an old Bomb Squad and Space Spartan loose cart with the Phillips screws.

I was lucky that I got that triangular screwdriver with my intellivision diagnostic cart so I used a Utopia cart with triangular screws.?

• Like 2

I find it amusing they chose Dragster, a game that lasts about 6 seconds featuring cars that nominally go 300MPH, to pair with Slow Ride.

As for Dad, here's what happened:

Off camera, Meg and her neighbor Sally are sitting on the couch talking.  Burt's watching the kids at the TV while Sally's husband Bob's off grabbing a beer.

Meg:  "This game only lasts 6 seconds?"

Sally:  "That's longer than Bob does!"

Meg and Burt start to snicker.

Bob returns, beer in hand:  "What'd I miss?"

Meg, Sally, and Burt just lose it at that point, busting a gut laughing.

Bob, confused: "What?  What is it?"

Burt: "Nothin', Dragster!"  *everyone starts laughing again*

• Haha 3