IGNORED

ColecoVision A.E. - Unreleased

NIAD

The game was made for the CV until the ADAM came out and Coleco decide to only release A.E as an ADAM game only

But doesn't the CV 'proto' have code that references the ADAM? If it was supposed to be a CV game then why does it have code for the ADAM?

• Like 1

You're right!

Maybe it's the same case as Dragon's Lair?

Dragon's Lair has been first developed on CV (but only run on ADAM) then it was port only for the ADAM

I've always wondered about that one as well. Was the only thing it needed from the ADAM the extra memory? Maybe they were planning on adding extra memory to the cart or something before making it an ADAM exclusive? Or was there an early memory only add-on for the CV planned before it turned into the full blown computer?

I've always wondered about that one as well. Was the only thing it needed from the ADAM the extra memory? Maybe they were planning on adding extra memory to the cart or something before making it an ADAM exclusive? Or was there an early memory only add-on for the CV planned before it turned into the full blown computer?

When the Dragon's Lair CV proto was found, I really though it was the cart to use with the Coleco's CED Player

I guess, Coleco could had made extra memory to the cart, but I really doubt they would choose this way

Memory add-on for the CV using the Expansion Port make sense

Less money to produce than putting extra memory into cartridges

A good guess in my opinion

but, I'm dead sure it's simply an early development of the ADAM game ... Simple as that

So what's the story behind this then? Was Coleco actually planning on releasing it for the Colecovision and in the process of porting it from the ADAM version, or is this some Coleco employee's personal hack?

It's probably as simple as Coleco having acquired the rights to multiple Broderbund games for release on the ColecoVision and...

- after the ColecoVision cartridge version of A.E. was completed, they felt that the game wouldn't be a very good seller and scrapped the CV cart release. Fortunately, they had a need for entertainment software on the ADAM (a very big need) so seeing as it was already programmed, why not put it together in a "The Best of" pack with another game (ChopLifter) that was already programmed. Then simply add some nice title screens, menu and options within each game to return to the menu or play the other game and you got yourself an ADAM software release.

- or it was planned for an ADAM Computer release on Data Pack all along and then someone at Coleco converted it back to CV cartridge format. From there, it was dumped to a rom file using the Coleco In-House Cart Copier software on the ADAM and placed on Data Pack with a bunch of other games. BTW, that DDP Image File that I posted a couple years ago also contains the In-House ColecoVision versions of Super DK and Super DK Jr, so that was proof enough for me that those versions were programmed at Coleco and not by some unknown Homebrewer as had been suggested in the past.

I'd have to double check everything that I have, but I don't recall off the top of my head that A.E. was ever planned to be released as a ColecoVision cartridge.

A lot of what-ifs and we'll proably never know for sure. All that matters is that I got very lucky being put in touch with the former Coleco employee by Joe B. and acquired his collection. Even luckier was that I am so familiar with the ADAM and knew what to look for and how to extract it from the Data Pack to get it into rom format so that NewColeco and then CollectorVision could do their thing.

• Like 2

But doesn't the CV 'proto' have code that references the ADAM? If it was supposed to be a CV game then why does it have code for the ADAM?

I wouldn't consider the version of A.E. that I found to be a CV proto, rather i would conisder it a conversion from ADAM format to CV format much like Mystery Man has converted the ADAM versions of Dragon's Lair and Super Zaxxon to CV format. It's actually probably not a good example comparing the rather large task Mystery Man undertook to convert those ADAM games versus the smaller task of converting A.E., which is only a 16K program.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found evidence that A.E. was planned to be released in cartridge format for the ColecoVision. Contained in the Coleco 1984 June CES Sales Press Kit in a Dealer Order Form, A.E. is listed in the lineup of ColecoVision cartridge games that are available. The Product # is 2693 and the cost was $24 @ for a 6-pack order.

• Like 3