IGNORED

Leventhal's 6502 programming on PDF

lbaeza

• 2 years later...

This is actually a better version than the one linked to previously in this thread -- except for shadows on the pages. Might be fixable though.

I may take this version and run all the pages through Photoshop and then put it back together. At that point it might be worth the effort to bookmark it too.

Stay tuned...

• Like 1

This is actually a better version than the one linked to previously in this thread -- except for shadows on the pages. Might be fixable though.

I may take this version and run all the pages through Photoshop and then put it back together. At that point it might be worth the effort to bookmark it too.

Stay tuned...

I couldn't get any of the links in this thread to work.

I wish I could get a copy of the 3rd(?) edition that had support for the 65C02 as well.

My book is like the edition I linked to.

I don't know if there was ever a 3rd edition published. There is the one linked to here and a green cover edition that both have no edition information. So I assume they're both the first edition, one being an alternative cover. I'm guessing the green one is the first cover used, as it has that 70's look, and then the black/white/orange one for the newer alternate cover -- on the 1st edition.

But there is one labeled as the 2nd edition on the cover and mentions covering 65C02. This would definitely be the one to have, but I've not seen -- even a crappy -- copy of this one on the net anywhere. Maybe the book itself is very scarce (?). Have to do some searching and see if one can be obtained.

post-6369-0-59045400-1446915467_thumb.jpg post-6369-0-64659300-1446916656_thumb.jpg post-6369-0-75086300-1446915472_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrFish

I don't know if there was ever a 3rd edition published. There is the one linked to here and a green cover edition that both have no edition information. So I assume they're both the first edition, one being an alternative cover. I'm guessing the green one is the first cover used, as it has that 70's look, and then the black/white/orange one for the newer alternate cover -- on the 1st edition.

But there is one labeled as the 2nd edition on the cover and mentions covering 65C02. This would definitely be the one to have, but I've not seen -- even a crappy -- copy of this one on the net anywhere. Maybe the book itself is very scarce (?). Have to do some searching and see if one can be obtained.

attachicon.gif6502 1st edition alt cover.jpg attachicon.gif6502 1st edition cover.jpg attachicon.gif6502 2nd Edition.jpg

I have the second addition. The 65C02 info is useful *BUT* is only 22 pages in length. Just a description of the new commands and a couple of examples showing how to use them to zero a block of memory, bubble sort, and a few others. Tortuous path to get 65C02 code relevant to Atari 8 bit users. New commands make a few tasks easier, take up less code space, or shave a few ticks off the clock for faster execution but other then myself and maybe Kyle, there just aren't a lot of us with CMOS 6502s in our computers. Emulator users could use the 65C02 code *BUT* most of the instructions would be for things like a better word processor or faster programming language. IMHO: those types of apps just aren't really in demand among emulator users.

• Like 1

I have the second addition. The 65C02 info is useful *BUT* is only 22 pages in length. Just a description of the new commands and a couple of examples showing how to use them to zero a block of memory, bubble sort, and a few others. Tortuous path to get 65C02 code relevant to Atari 8 bit users. New commands make a few tasks easier, take up less code space, or shave a few ticks off the clock for faster execution but other then myself and maybe Kyle, there just aren't a lot of us with CMOS 6502s in our computers. Emulator users could use the 65C02 code *BUT* most of the instructions would be for things like a better word processor or faster programming language. IMHO: those types of apps just aren't really in demand among emulator users.

That wasn't my point. I was interested in the latest edition of the original text. The fact that the edition happens also cover 65C02 is incidental.

Even James never said specifically that he was interested in the edition for that reason (65C02 -- although he may well be). He just mentioned it as a way of identification.

Edited by MrFish

When I say "crappy copy" here, I mean crappy PDF copy. The book is available from a few places, and probably more than a few if you look long and hard enough (or wait long enough). The few on Amazon are going for around $130 though, so better to look elsewhere, as people are becoming quite "aware" (overly aware sometimes -- read: gouging) of supply and demand these days.

Edited by MrFish

There need to be more 65Cxxx users, then there would be more demand for software. I would personally love to see what my 800 could do if a talented programmer would push the limits of the 816. :)

That wasn't my point. I was interested in the latest edition of the original text. The fact that the edition happens also cover 65C02 is incidental.

Even James never said specifically that he was interested in the edition for that reason (65C02 -- although he may well be). He just mentioned it as a way of identification.

Yeah, I was mostly interested in the latest edition but the 65C02 support is a nice bonus.

FWIW, the code I modified to use 65C02 instructions was about 5% smaller than regular 6502 code.

The new jump and stack instructions made the most difference cycle wise in my interrupt code.

When I say "crappy copy" here, I mean crappy PDF copy. The book is available from a few places, and probably more than a few if you look long and hard enough (or wait long enough). The few on Amazon are going for around $130 though, so better to look elsewhere, as people are becoming quite "aware" (overly aware sometimes -- read: gouging) of supply and demand these days.

I recently had to replace my physical copy due to the fire and I think I paid $15 on ebay.

Or maybe that was the 6809 book which always seems to sell for over $30.

attachicon.gif6502 1st edition alt cover.jpg attachicon.gif6502 1st edition cover.jpg attachicon.gif6502 2nd Edition.jpg

I think the 2nd edition was the last version, it was just the 3rd cover.

That would probably only be popular with apple programmers since it was the only machine to come with it stock.

The entire series received new black covers at some point and that last cover is more like the 68000 book I have which I purchased after the Amiga was released.

There need to be more 65Cxxx users, then there would be more demand for software. I would personally love to see what my 800 could do if a talented programmer would push the limits of the 816. :)

It's really a shame the 65802 was discontinued so quickly.

That just dropped in place of the 6502 and should have made it into almost every 6502 machine.

I'd still like to get a hold of one for my IIe.

The larger stack and stack relative addressing really should have been part of the 65C02.

That would have gone well with the new stack instructions and would have made a huge difference for compilers even without 16 bit support.

"But there is one labeled as the 2nd edition on the cover and mentions covering 65C02. This would definitely be the one to have, but I've not seen -- even a crappy -- copy of this one on the net anywhere."

<sigh> I was going to offer to scan the 65C02 part but since it wasn't your point, I'm outta here.

• 9 months later...

I was able to find a scan of the green cover version today, and at a higher quality than either of the black cover versions that are out there. This is the same edition of the book, just with an earlier cover design (as far as I can tell). I did find there is one extra line on the "Acknowledgements" page (on the black cover version), but other than that they should be the same.

I have posted this up to my website, but I also still have the black cover version there too. Eventually, I'll clean up the covers and bookmark this newly found version; it will be much easier than dealing with either of the black cover versions. Since I like the looks of the black cover version better, though, I'll probably also clean up the covers for it and apply them to the green cover version contents.

post-6369-0-09973700-1471730600.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Here's an attempt at scanning chapter 17 from the 2nd edition (65C02 Programming). The result isn't that great. I have an ok flatbed scanner and scanned everything at 1200dpi, but I don't know the software very well so the resulting pdf is highly compressed. Still, it's mostly readable and better than nothing. I saved the originals so I can revisit this later.

ch17.pdf

• Like 2

Here's an attempt at scanning chapter 17 from the 2nd edition (65C02 Programming). The result isn't that great. I have an ok flatbed scanner and scanned everything at 1200dpi, but I don't know the software very well so the resulting pdf is highly compressed. Still, it's mostly readable and better than nothing. I saved the originals so I can revisit this later.

attachicon.gifch17.pdf

It looks good aside from the resolution, which isn't that bad anyway.

I'd love to see a full book scan of this if you ever have the time and get your scanner settings dialed in.

It looks good aside from the resolution, which isn't that bad anyway.

I'd love to see a full book scan of this if you ever have the time and get your scanner settings dialed in.

It would take days, so I'll pass. Perusing my copy and the scan of the earlier edition I have, it appears there are only minor differences. The table of contents show identical paginations up until chapter 17 (which is appended to page xvi). The tables in chapter 17 are appended to the bottom of page xix, there's a new index, and the About the Author page is omitted (there's a short blurb on the back cover instead).

It would take days, so I'll pass. Perusing my copy and the scan of the earlier edition I have, it appears there are only minor differences. The table of contents show identical paginations up until chapter 17 (which is appended to page xvi). The tables in chapter 17 are appended to the bottom of page xix, there's a new index, and the About the Author page is omitted (there's a short blurb on the back cover instead).

Understandable. It's really a job for a sheet feeder, and you'd have to be willing to lose the binding, then hole punch what's left and put it into a ring binder.

I kind of assumed there were at least some possible minor corrections for this edition as well, which most likely wouldn't affect pagination. It's hard to prove without having knowledge of errors that existed in the first edition, though, which I don't.

Edited by MrFish

I'm reading this book right now, got it off of Amazon for $6.00 with shipping. I just need some light reading before bed sometimes. Along with this and Andrew Davies book that I ordered I hope to be up and programming for the 2600 someday. I also found a great series on YouTube that has helped a lot.

• Like 1

Speaking of 6502 programming reference... I stumbled upon these last night while searching up a cover for the Leventhal book. They're being seeded, and I was able to download them in pretty short order:

attachicon.gifMicro - 6502 Journal (Complete) Torrent.zip

I don't know how well these are being seeded these days, but I've got them up for download on my site now, as a single ZIP archive (about 1.2 GB).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

You're right. Something is still better than nothin'. But, I'm still hoping to find a better scanned version someday :)

Like I said, I already have the book. But, I don't know how to make a really good scan without having to rip it apart. I only have a flatbed scanner with a document feeder (nothing fancy like Google books setup).

Stay tuned...

I was able to find a scan of the green cover version today, and at a higher quality than either of the black cover versions that are out there. This is the same edition of the book, just with an earlier cover design (as far as I can tell). I did find there is one extra line on the "Acknowledgements" page (on the black cover version), but other than that they should be the same.

I have posted this up to my website, but I also still have the black cover version there too. Eventually, I'll clean up the covers and bookmark this newly found version; it will be much easier than dealing with either of the black cover versions. Since I like the looks of the black cover version better, though, I'll probably also clean up the covers for it and apply them to the green cover version contents.

attachicon.gif6502alpo.png

As it turned out, there were corrections from the green-cover edition made in the black/orange-cover edition.

I finally had some time to process the newer, better-quality scan of the black cover edition, clean it up, and bookmark it. The result is posted on my website; it's in the Resource -> Other section.

Happy Birthday atx4us!

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

As it turned out, there were corrections from the green-cover edition made in the black/orange-cover edition.

I finally had some time to process the newer, better-quality scan of the black cover edition, clean it up, and bookmark it. The result is posted on my website; it's in the Resource -> Other section.

Happy Birthday atx4us!

It's not even my birthday and I'm so...happy!!! I'm giving you a really big high five! Thank you for sharing :)