IGNORED

SDrive NUXX is here!

DarkLord

I love my SD-Drive. The only thing I can't figure out is why the files show up with two versions of each ATR. I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing but I can't figure it out. The second one always has a ≈ sybol in front of it. Anybody have a clue.

Allan

Are you copying them on with a Mac? And are the duplicate files prefixed with a .?

Yes but they have that ≈ symbol. This only shows up on the Atari, not on the Mac.

Allan

I love my SD-Drive. The only thing I can't figure out is why the files show up with two versions of each ATR. I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing but I can't figure it out. The second one always has a ≈ sybol in front of it. Anybody have a clue.

Allan

Are you copying them on with a Mac? And are the duplicate files prefixed with a .?

Yes but they have that ≈ symbol. This only shows up on the Atari, not on the Mac.

Allan

That's the mac hack to store the extra information mac files have on a filesystem that doesn't handle that. The files are there on the Mac, it just hides them (or counts them as part of the same file really).

My SDrive Nuxx arrived the other day and I just wanted to shout out thanks to Steve for such a great product. It works great and it looks so cool next to my 130 XE and 1084. A few weeks ago, a client of mine stared at my Atari in my office and said, "Speaking as an IT guy, I think you should upgrade your computer." And I did. With the NUXX. 8)

My SDrive Nuxx arrived the other day and I just wanted to shout out thanks to Steve for such a great product. It works great and it looks so cool next to my 130 XE and 1084. A few weeks ago, a client of mine stared at my Atari in my office and said, "Speaking as an IT guy, I think you should upgrade your computer." And I did. With the NUXX. 8)

Thank you, and thanks for buying one. I'm glad to hear you like it. :)

Allan

Allan

That's the mac hack to store the extra information mac files have on a filesystem that doesn't handle that. The files are there on the Mac, it just hides them (or counts them as part of the same file really).

Yeah, that's just metadata stored in a separate file because FAT doesn't support storing it. There's a few ways to get rid of them. Search around a bit for removing .DS_Store and other "dot files" from FAT filesystems on a Mac and you'll find plenty of info. The inclusion of a tilde (~) in the filename is part of the conversion to 8.3 filenames. Use L and Ctrl-L to display long filenames on the SDrive software (read the manual for a little more info.)

Woo! That looks good. Not going to fit J3, though?

Thanks. Yes I fitted it afterwards, forgot it in the testing excitement. :)

It's not really needed unless you're going to be using the onboard programmer, but since the DB25 and resistors are there... :D

Glad to see it working. For everyone's knowledge, those four yellow LEDs indicate that the SD card is being seen and the device is powered. Woo!

YAY! My SDrive NUXX landed yesterday, what a beauty! Many thanks to Steve for such an excellent and well constructed product, customer service and fast shipping to boot (pardon the pun!)

Another item to take pride of place in my modest collection, thanks again Steve!

Edited by beamer320i

YAY! My SDrive NUXX landed yesterday, what a beauty! Many thanks to Steve for such an excellent and well constructed product, customer service and fast shipping to boot (pardon the pun!)

Another item to take pride of place in my modest collection, thanks again Steve!

Woo! You're welcome, and thanks for buying one. I'm glad to hear the UK orders are arriving. The vast majority of international shipments went over there.

Link to my first build should already be posted. Fear not, I will take tons of pics of the new build :)

Can't wait to see... My poor Hand Etched MTG SDrive is getting jealous!

There's still a handful of kits available... ;)

If I could justify it I absolutely would, but having 2 (if not as sexy) SDrives already I can't...

There's still a handful of kits available... ;)

Now there's one less. ;) Easiest build I've had in a long time. Now if I can just remember to order that one part. :lol:

Aww, that's one super-important part too. Just remember to use the screws for the SIO connector. It's kinda important for strain relief and ensuring a solid feel to the finished device.

I soooo want to buy another, but do I really need 3?!

HA HA. I was thinking the same thing, myself. I have 2 from the first batch. I got 2 from this batch. At least you're smart enough to put them together yourself, and save a bundle! I wish I could do stuff like that, mimo.

I could honestly see one for each Atari that you've got regularly connected as being a safe idea.

This was my justification. Plus, it's hard for me to imagine a world where my Sdrive NUXX craps out on me (at some point in the future) and I am without, hence spares (for this and everything).

I'm going to place a couple of these in shielded box, so I can still use them after nuclear war (assuming no direct hit) or EMP terrorist discharge. :)

Edited by wood_jl

I could honestly see one for each Atari that you've got regularly connected as being a safe idea.

This was my justification. Plus, it's hard for me to imagine a world where my Sdrive NUXX craps out on me (at some point in the future) and I am without, hence spares (for this and everything).

This is why I personally have just one. (Only one 800XL here...)

One nice thing about the SDrive design is that it's so simple any sort of repair should be really easy, although it's rather unlikely that it'll be needed as there's just not much to go wrong. That microcontroller should be pretty easy to find for years, and everything else is very standard. If an LED were to go a 3mm item could be fitted into the plastic holder, the tactile switches are super-basic, resistors are as they are, etc. Nice, basic, through-hole electronics like this stuff is often a maintenance (when needed) dream.