IGNORED

kaboom

AtariBrian

I've been practicing off and on for the past 8 years. My high score so far is only 416,427. :D

I'm still going for 999,999!!

The "what have you actually played" tracker has got me playing more consistently this past year or so but my scores haven't gone up. :sad:

It stops getting faster at level 8. Level 8 is the fastest and then it just repeats that level unless you lose a bucket and then you go back to level 7 of course.

Edited by Atarian7

I didn't like Kaboom 30 years ago but we play it as much or more than any other game today. When does it stop getting faster? My high score is only around 6,000.

I didn't like Kaboom! when I was a kid either. I think I couldn't even get past level 5 or 6.

When I got back into Atari several years ago I decided I was going to play it and get good at it as a challenge to myself. I ended up loving to play it.

There's an episode of the Retrogaming Round Up podcast (where they count down the top 10 2600 games, I think), where one of the hosts mentions a "trick" that he uses to get high scores on Kaboom. I won't mention it here because it is kind of a "spoiler," although it seems perfectly "legal" to me. Perhaps this is widely known already since I'm new to the 2600 scene.

• Like 1

There's an episode of the Retrogaming Round Up podcast (where they count down the top 10 2600 games, I think), where one of the hosts mentions a "trick" that he uses to get high scores on Kaboom. I won't mention it here because it is kind of a "spoiler," although it seems perfectly "legal" to me. Perhaps this is widely known already since I'm new to the 2600 scene.

I don't know of any tricks unless I do on a subconscience level.

It gets zen like. I think the trick comes in the extra lives, and learning to do circular breathing between the different waves. If you can program your brain at the top speed, it should be something you can keep going on until fatigued.

AX

The only "trick" I can think of is to not worry about the location of the bombs, but to just move back and forth across the screen really fast. That's what I do when my eyes have fatigued and my brain can't keep up with the action any more.

• Like 1

It gets zen like. I think the trick comes in the extra lives, and learning to do circular breathing between the different waves. If you can program your brain at the top speed, it should be something you can keep going on until fatigued.

AX

The only "trick" I can think of is to not worry about the location of the bombs, but to just move back and forth across the screen really fast. That's what I do when my eyes have fatigued and my brain can't keep up with the action any more.

Me too.. :P I rarely do, though.

• Like 1

We usually drop a bomb on purpose just before we get to 1,000 points to drop the speed of the next level. Since you get the bucket back at 1,000 it doesn't hurt.

That was the "trick" I heard about on the podcast. Can't you do it every 1,000 points?

Edited by boxpressed
  • Like 1

We usually drop a bomb on purpose just before we get to 1,000 points to drop the speed of the next level. Since you get the bucket back at 1,000 it doesn't hurt.

That was the "trick" I heard about on the podcast. Can't you do it every 1,000 points?

Yes, but I'm not good enough to plan it out properly after the first thousand points. :lol:

• Like 1