IGNORED

THE RANDOM TERRAIN GRAMMAR THREAD

Jr. Pac

36 members have voted

1. 1. What games should I bring on vacation?

2. 2. PART 2

• E.T.
    • River Raid
    • Barnstorming
    • Enduro
    • Pitfall!
    • Q*bert
    • Frogger
    • Donkey Kong
    • Mouse Trap
    • Space Jockey
    • Target Fun (Air-Sea battle)
    • Video Pinball (Sears)
    • Space Invaders (Sears)
    • Jungle Hunt prototype
    • Video Olympics

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Pitfall is the one I would of subtracted also. :P

Was that intentional, or do we have to beat you over the head with a rolled-up newspaper?

Yes. Combat a must. Must destroy parents with tanks. Dig Dug a must. Must blow up the meanies. Super Breakout a must. Must break through rainbows with beautiful paddles. Pitfall a must. Must jump on alligators but all six seats for Atari carts full. Rolled-up newspaper a must. Must beat Schiz on head for not leaving seat for Pitfall. :P

For crying out loud. It's "would have", but who cares? All this nitpicking about grammar ... for what good?

Why has this thread become a place for people to throw up on each other? The kid proports to be 10, and I see no reason to think any differently based on his posts. Let him have his fun. Its not like he's trying to start fights or anything. He's just really excited about his hobby.

Now that I have that off my chest ... :P

When you get back from vacation, Jr. Pac, would you mind posting a pic of your homemade center? I'd be interested to see what your capable of. :)

• Like 3

For crying out loud. It's "would have", but who cares? All this nitpicking about grammar ... for what good?

Seems like a good thing if the people you hang out with correct your grammar instead of trying to get you to take drugs or steal things or beat up homeless people.

I'm bad at grammar and have learned a few things while at AtariAge. I have a very hard time remembering how to use were and was correctly.

People say the English language changes all the time, but that's only true because almost no one bothers to correct people's mistakes. For example, if someone says they were curled up in the fecal position, it would be good to tell them that it's the fetal position before it catches on and millions of people are saying fecal position and it gets added to the dictionary because the 'language has changed.'

Related link:

http://www.randomterrain.com/web-design-common-grammar-errors.html

• Like 1

Why has this thread become a place for people to throw up on each other? The kid proports to be 10, and I see no reason to think any differently based on his posts. Let him have his fun. Its not like he's trying to start fights or anything. He's just really excited about his hobby.

Now that I have that off my chest ... :P

When you get back from vacation, Jr. Pac, would you mind posting a pic of your homemade center? I'd be interested to see what your capable of. :)

I can take pics today, actually. It's just made of an old Toppling Towers wood block set all glued together. It took 2 says to make. Thanks for defending me. :) All the sudden all these fights start. :?

Seems like a good thing if the people you hang out with correct your grammar instead of trying to get you to take drugs or steal things or beat up homeless people.

I'm bad at grammar and have learned a few things while at AtariAge. I have a very hard time remembering how to use were and was correctly.

I think your grammar is good enough to work here. I don't have a problem with people who correct others. But it's in the way people do it sometimes. Sometimes I read a post that seems to be saying "you're a dunce because you can't get so-and-so word right". It's those that make me go "hmmm".

Was - past-tense singular. "That person was going to eat my dinner."

Were - past-tense plural. Those people were going to eat her dinner.

I don't usually have a problem with that part. The problem I have is when a singular person wishes he were an Oscar Mayer wiener.

I don't usually have a problem with that part. The problem I have is when a singular person wishes he were an Oscar Mayer wiener.

The Subjunctive mood, eh?

Edited by Rex Dart

Schizophretard: He's talking about the "would of" you used in your post.

... as evidenced by the fact that I boldfaced it in the quote, which I thought would have made it obvious.

(Actually, my earlier "quip" was directed as much at the overly aggressive "grammar police" as anyone else, although I'm a stickler for proper grammar, too.)

All the sudden were talked about grammar?

:skull:

And from another corner...

I know of a person at the company I work at that uses "would of" instead of "would've" in corporate emails, obviously she doesn't know what the meaning is, only what it sounds like and when to use it! BUT that isn't the worst of it.

If something is almost but not quite entirely unlike something, she will use "sword of"!!!!! Not "sort of". I have replied back with a "Damocles?"

Or how about this...you're on vacation. Why not take a break from games and enjoy your vacation???

I agree. Especially if he plans to keep his nose on the TV the whole vacation. But if he's taking it to share with his family and friends, that's another thing. I say, be appropriate in the time you spend on your games. Go outside and get some sun (it's actually good for you) and enjoy getting away from your house for a while.