IGNORED

I´ve got email from ATARI today...

pps

Well, their control of the App Store prevents apps from being hosted that have trojans built into them. That's the exact opposite of what's happened with the Android App Store, so I'd say that's one way it benefits users/consumers...

Really? How ever have we managed to buy software for our electronic devices all these years without having someone to check it for us? ;)

Really - the App store offers no benefits that a free market wouldn't bring. But then, Apple wouldn't grab 30% profit - and it's outright profit - on every bit of software sold. It's a good business for them, they have a web site which they totally control, skim off 30% effective sales tax on everything sold (and you're having to pay that 30%, by the way), and then convince everyone that it's for their own good. Nice!

I guess I'll never understand why people are happy to have companies such as Apple tell them what they can, and cannot, do with the devices they buy. The App Store effectively does that. But Apple are clever, I guess, and have people believing it's good for them! All credit to their marketing folk.

If MS announced that the only place you can buy softweare for Windows is through an MS APP Store, there'd be an outcry. Apple do it, and people applaud. Weird.

Really Vaughan? You're going to continue to take this thread way off topic for your anti-Apple rants? C'mon man. I hope this isn't a trend. Wait, I forgot, there's an easy fix for this...

Edited by Mirage

I've not real or aware of the full details, but as someone who's done commercial work in the past, any deal that gives the author 70% of sales revenue sounds pretty sweet to me.

I bet if you looked at many modern games, the promotional budgets alone would be in the double percentage figures.

Being able to write something, then do nothing and receive money for months/years is a dream for most software writers.

• Like 2

Another interestest perspective here

Ask practically anyone here on atariage (both atari and non atari users)if they give a sh!t about what happens to atari, i think you'll find that the majority wish that Atari had died back in the 90's

Ask practically anyone on any non atari related clasic/retro site wheather they give a sh!t about what happens to atari, i think you'll find that they'll say 'didn't atari die all those years ago' (or at least when nintendo became king of the gaming market)

Perhaps anyone that works for ATARI (including the two i referred to) might want to look at this post and then do their own research, after all if very few or ANY people actually give a sh!t what happens to Atari, then Atari are only shooting themselves in the foot with their present actions (as well as tarnishing any little remaining credibility or repsect anyone had in anything ATARI represented)

I've not real or aware of the full details, but as someone who's done commercial work in the past, any deal that gives the author 70% of sales revenue sounds pretty sweet to me.

I bet if you looked at many modern games, the promotional budgets alone would be in the double percentage figures.

Being able to write something, then do nothing and receive money for months/years is a dream for most software writers.

Sadly, speaking as someone who writes iOS software, this remains a dream... :ponder:

Can we please get this thread back on topic re: the so-called "Atari"s douchey DMCA spambot campaign?

Cheers,

Simon

• Like 1

Ask practically anyone here on atariage (both atari and non atari users)if they give a sh!t about what happens to atari, i think you'll find that the majority wish that Atari had died back in the 90's

Ask practically anyone on any non atari related clasic/retro site wheather they give a sh!t about what happens to atari, i think you'll find that they'll say 'didn't atari die all those years ago' (or at least when nintendo became king of the gaming market)

Actually, I don't consider this a working argument. Look, how many classic Atari users are there, in total? How much money lies in selling to such people?

Actually, we as a user group are completely irrelevant because the group is too small, so our feelings on this are also irrelevant.

I didn't buy any Infogr^H^H^H^H Atari games in the past simply because I am not interested in the games. I'm not interested in such modern games at all, in fact. Thus, no damage was done, from a monetary perspective, as far as I am concerned. What I think about them does not hurt them, and that goes probably to many other people here in this forum.

Has this one been mentioned yet?

hope I got that link right, I can't fully check it from where I'm at, (had to use cached version) it's aimed at Atarian.nl.

I don't fully know what Atarian.nl hosts. Looks like their download page has a version of TOS on it. (the horror!)

Edited by Reaperman

Perhaps anyone that works for ATARI (including the two i referred to) might want to look at this post and then do their own research, after all if very few or ANY people actually give a sh!t what happens to Atari, then Atari are only shooting themselves in the foot with their present actions (as well as tarnishing any little remaining credibility or repsect anyone had in anything ATARI represented)

Here you go...

Can Atari ever regain equilibrium? It's hard to say definitively. The odds are against it - and I'd be shocked, personally. But I can never forget what Diane Baker, a former chief financial officer for the company, said in 2005 (ironically just eight months before she took flight): "When we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot ... Atari's going to be a spectacular company."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36724/Opinion_The_Revolving_Door_At_Atari_Approaches_Terminal_Velocity.php

Here is some historical information about Atari emulators and OS ROMs from ST-Log Magazine:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/st-log/issue25/32_1_DATABASE_DELPHI.php

To make a long story short, after a struggle, Atari allowed Darek to use their 8-bit operating-system code in the Xformer, provided he put the program into the public domain for others to see and possibly improve on. His initial effort appeared in the September 1987 issue of ST-Log.

I assume that the OS ROM code was published along with the emulator on the magazine disk. That would not have been possible without permission from Atari. The meaning of "public domain" in the above sentence is unclear to me.

At the end of the day, if Atari are upset about specific content such as TOS files etc then they should be specific when sending out these emails, instead of sending out vague threats and demands.

You would think so, but that would imply they did more research than Googling "Atari" and then spamming every domain holder with a DMCA notice. They have previous form with this such as the Davenport Lyons file sharing threats affair. Been assigned a dynamic IP previously used by someone who may or may not have shared one of our files? Pay us £500 or else! I think the fact that they couldn't even correctly identify the people's ISPs in many cases shows how conscientious they were in that case.

About on a par with telling someone they have infringed "Atari ST", as above. Perhaps this is all part of their "Experiential Platform Strategy". It's all about leveraging your "Brand Heritage" to make people say "I need Atari!" apparently. If they made any products I was interested in these days I might consider boycotting them.

Cheers,

Simon

A year ago, Atari had different ideas. It's commentary based on this interview.

Q: With the GO affiliate program, you're intending to work with sites that host illegitimate versions of Atari games - it's rare to see a company engaging with, rather than fighting, unlicensed distribution.

A: Truth be told, why in the world would I ever want to go after my fans? These are people who absolutely love our classic old arcade games. I joke about the fact that it seems like every computer science student, after their first year of programming class, goes off and writes a copy of Asteroids or Missile Command or Battlezone. The web is filthy with those.

Now, instead of arming up a cadre of lawyers the smart thing to do is say, "Look, you're fans of our games, let us give you the legitimate version of the game," and then bring those affiliates into the fold by saying, "We'll actually share revenue with you." They've been running that less than optimal, if not [coughs] a little dodgy, version of Asteroids or Missile Command, so why not just run the original one, share in the revenue and still have the same appeal to the fans they want to draw to their site? And we've got the library of all our other great games that we can bring to them as well.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

Yes, the Atari Go program is still running and if anyone really wants to have online playable versions of classic Atari titles then that is the way to go, but the PR waffle behind the Go program has been lost and replaced with a complete lack of PR sense and an outsourced PR guy that isn't too bothered about addressing our concerns right now.

The AU Blog

• Like 1

Maybe I am feeling important now.

Or I am not and Atari are 'Nuts'

Do you remember the Letter I send them?

That Letter was about PPS and not me.

When I open my Mail I have their apologizes to me.

I thought and thought and then read it carefully and they were talking and translating PPS one.

What this is revolting is that they aren't writing nor reading anything. It seems that an automatic Program detects and send hundreds or thousands of Letters with the same 'building sh... blah, blah,...'

Probably this is what PPS received, or wasn't PPS and they (their automatic Program) thought I was PPS.

Here's their Letter:

"Dear Jose,

Recently Atari, Inc. sent a notice to your domain to remove certain downloadable content. Further examination has revealed that your domain’s content is not of an infringing nature. Atari sincerely apologizes for disrupting your website and values the relationship it has with its fans in the 8-bit community.

Thank you,

Atari Legal"

Then they show PPS and my Post.

Why I still think that's not the case to be happy ;)

Hi, PPS, remember that I wrote to them...

They send me this answer some time ago that I posted here...

They sure thought I was you ;)

Greets.

José Pereita.