IGNORED

What is going to happen with all your collection after you die?

amiman99

I, also, have not really given it much thought. If someone is willing to pay money for it, they'll probably keep it, and hopefully take good care of it. My son seems to like playing my old video games, so I may leave it all to him. Or if he loses interest, maybe I'll donate to a local kids charity (Boys and Girls club, Sheriff's Ranch, etc.) Who knows? It might spark an interest in some of the kids.

If I died, I would probably donate all the games I had to variuos places. All my Atari era stuff I would probably give to a museum, and almost everything else I would give away to young people who are just starting collecting. The only exception would be my PlayStation 2, the first home console I ever owned (my parents didn't like me having a gaming only system in the house, so before I was a PC gamer), which I would probably leave to any children or grandchildren that I have. Since I'm sitting here writing anyway, I have a system I know very little about called the Leisurevision. All that I know is that it is the Canadian version of the Arcadia 2001, and that it was released in 1982. If anybody has any information on it, like rarity, how much it is worth, sales of the system, etc., please let me know.

Edited by Smoogy

• 3 weeks later...

"What is going to happen with all your collection after you die?"

Rather a dismal question. I suppose I won't really care about my stuff after I die. I can't expect anyone to carry on my hobby, though it would obviously be nice to know my work wasn't for naught.

I think I'd want my wife to hold it all until my kids are old enough to make a decision as to whether they would like the stuff. Whether they just want to play, or continue to collect is up to them. If they're not interested, then I suppose the wife could just contact AA and try to give or sell the stuff to the community.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to have some life insurance money pay off when I die, and have my wife donate some money, and the collection, to the government to set up a small technology museum. We don't have anything like that here, and one large reason I collect old tech and old books is to help myself and others remember our history, where it all started, and enjoy the simpler things. Museum would carry on the torch

• 1 month later...

I'd like to have some life insurance money pay off when I die, and have my wife donate some money, and the collection, to the government to set up a small technology museum. We don't have anything like that here, and one large reason I collect old tech and old books is to help myself and others remember our history, where it all started, and enjoy the simpler things. Museum would carry on the torch

What exactly in your collection would a museum be interested in? That shirt? JK..

• 3 weeks later...

My wife will sell it all for what I told her I paid for it, and she'll go out to a nice dinner with the proceeds of it all.

Nah, one day I will probably make a plan. If I die unexpectedly anytime in the next 20 years, I imagine my gaming collection will be the least of my family's concerns, so whatever happens, happens. I know my wife will want the closet space back, for sure.

A couple of years back (when I first joined AA), I installed a heart rate monitor in my chest. When my cold, unloving heart finally stops beating, the heart rate monitor will detonate about 16 pounds of plastic explosives that are placed under my floorboards. Hopefully, that will be enough to level my house and perhaps take out the loud and obnoxious neighbor kids.

Just make sure if you move, you take them with you. I cringe for the family who may be unwittingly living in your house 40 or 50 years from now when you suddenly croak. :o

i laughed so hard when i read this

If my wife for some reason needs money at that point, I suspect she'd sell it for the few hundred dollars that it might be worth. Me, I'm done with it so I don't really care. Line it up with my tools and other toys in a garage sale and move it down the road . . . whatever gets the house cleaned up.

• Like 1

It will all go to my evil twin up in Milwaukee.

No, most likely if my wife survives me she'll keep it all. Not because she plays the games very much, but because she's sentimental and saves things like that. If we're both dead, then it would all go to my grand niece and she can do with it what she will.

• Like 1

I think about this sort of thing all the time, which is why I *am* going to start cataloging all this crap soon. Inventory, condition, special notes, values, etc. Need to do it anyway for insurance reasons, plus... another great incentive to finally start a catalog is because I'm just now, getting to the point where I cannot simply remember everything I have! Especially useful for when you're out thrifting and accidentally run across something. Has happened a few times this past year. Sat there scratching my head, wondering if I already own such and such. lol

Not sure exactly how I feel about wares going for X amount or who it goes to, so long as it's enjoyed by someone. Not talking about my stuff going for dirt cheap to a reseller though. One thing I know for a fact is there's a handful of friends that'll want to keep certain things of mine because they enjoy the game and/or the memories associated in playing - so that's cool. Mostly talking about arcade pieces here I guess, but I've got a few other collections unrelated to gaming that's pretty important to others in my life as well. Guess I'd rather see all of my possessions go to those that want 'em for reasons unrelated to just a monetary attachment. But whatever. If someone wants to turn some of this stuff into decent coin, guess it'll be the gift that keeps on giving! :lol:

Edited by save2600