IGNORED

mystery book

shep

I found this book in my local library, but it was checked out, so I couldnt get it (found it in the ole card catalog):

6502 Assembly Language programming for Apple, Commodore, and Atari Computers

I was wondering if it was any good for someone new to Assembly. Ive dabbled in C, but I really wanna get crackin on Assembly. If anyone has seen, heard of, or read this book please say so, and please offer me some feedback.

Not familiar with it, but Amazon has it listed with a print date of '85...which is during the height of the 8-bit popularity and late enough to cut through most of the BS and mystery that sometimes surrounded such manuals in the earlier days (as well as possibly including many of the "tricks" that were discovered). Since it covers the 6502 in general, it probably does not delve too deeply into specific hardware, though. Hardware specifics can be found on the internet regardless, so as long as the instruction set is covered...the rest is easy to learn about.

The author has an impressive catalogue, covering many computer languages in addition to books on logic and mechanics...which means that it could be either very well written or a dull snorefest. ;)

I'd buy it.

"The guy was either a certified genius or an athetic whacko." -Ghostbusters

There is a lot info on the Atari 8-bit computers/5200. It is a lot easier as well. Try these sites:

www.azstarnet.com/~jeffryj/5200bas.html

www.atarimagazines.com

www.atariarchives.org

The last two sites (which are really the same) have been having trouble the last couple of days but are normally fine.

Allan

YES! That's the idea. Don't even think about delving into the VCS until you at least have a grasp of the 8-bits. And perhaps create a game or two for it instead, as well.

Atari800Win emulates the 5200...and has a nifty monitor mode so you don't have to recompile for every little change. If the limited 16k Ram gets you down, you could also use the same source code in the 800 mode as long as all of the OS operations are called by their labels instead of using actual addresses...though the control scheme would need updating as well.

YES! That's the idea. Don't even think about delving into the VCS until you at least have a grasp of the 8-bits. And perhaps create a game or two for it instead, as well.

Atari800Win emulates the 5200...and has a nifty monitor mode so you don't have to recompile for every little change. If the limited 16k Ram gets you down, you could also use the same source code in the 800 mode as long as all of the OS operations are called by their labels instead of using actual addresses...though the control scheme would need updating as well.

This sounds fun..well im sure its not, but it is, if that makes sense, thankyou for your support, I'm gonna get started. What's the best assembler for the Atari800?

That's kind of up in the air. Many people prefer to use assemblers that were written for use on the actual 800 hardware (which you can get as .atr files) hang on and I'll point you to several sites with disk images. Others prefer to use assemblers that can be run directly from the PC. I've always liked just jumping into the monitor and code (i.e. I'll never get a full game written that way, I know. But it's fun).

Hacking mostly. Though my current lack of a decent PC has got me down lately. Still have all of my stuff on disks, but I lack a cable to get it archived properly. Never wrote a completely M/L program...though some have been half Basic/half asm. But there are plenty of brilliant M/L programmers who post here that often help out if something you've made is giving you headaches...much more than I could.

This is actually pretty easy to explain. You already know that decimal is base ten. When you past nine, it rolls back to zero and a one gets tacked on the front. 9+1=10

Hex operates much the same way, except the digits go up to a value of 15 (base 16). They are 0123456789ABCDEF. So when you go past nine, it becomes A. When you go past F, it rolls to zero and a one gets tacked on. $0F+$01=$10 The $ is used to signify that I am working in hex.

ANYWAY...

The left digit stands for "how many 16's" are in the number. Just like the left digit in decimal is "how many 10's" there are. So the value of $FF is the same as $0F x 16 + $0F. $0F is equal to the decimal value of 15. So that becomes 15 x 16 + 15...which is 255.

See why programmers are insane?

It's not by choice...I'm running off of my sister's cable connection, so I don't think that she'd be too keen if I started using her email. This site has a private message function, so I never saw the need to sign up for a hotmail account. But anyway, for actual coding help...you might be better off just posting up something that you are trying to do in the programming forum and let the resident guru's help tackle it with you. They know many more wicked shortcuts than I could ever dream up.

It's not by choice...I'm running off of my sister's cable connection, so I don't think that she'd be too keen if I started using her email. This site has a private message function, so I never saw the need to sign up for a hotmail account. But anyway, for actual coding help...you might be better off just posting up something that you are trying to do in the programming forum and let the resident guru's help tackle it with you. They know many more wicked shortcuts than I could ever dream up.

Lol, sounds fair she wouldn't mind. J/k. I'll make sure to start asking the "guru's" around here. I'm a big fan of Cafeman's Koffi game, although I've only played the demo, I always wanted to code something like that. But I'm sure that's waaay down the road.