IGNORED

Commodore 1084S Problem - HELP

I had a Commodore 1084S monitor is good working order.

I shipped it to a fellow in Alaska via USPS - I packed it pretty well with styrofoam inserts and additional padding.

Upon arrival, the fellow reports the following problem:

"I had gotten it to power on, but after about 3 minutes, the picture would blur and fade to black. I was able to get it to power on the next day, but the same thing happened, and now I'm not getting any picture or degaussing on further power-ons."

Any ideas where to start on this? Assume basic/intermediate solder skills.

Thanks

Sounds like the flyback is failing. When the screen is black, does he still hear the high-pitch noise that all CRT-based monitors make? Seems odd that it fades away though, which would point to a heat problem. Could also be that it needs a cap kit.

There are too many variables, but try a Google search on those symptoms and see what comes up. Most CRT monitor troubleshooting is somewhat universal since they work (and fail) pretty much the same way.

Also, don't open a CRT monitor unless you totally understand what you are doing and the voltages involved!! It is never a "simple fix", and an old monitor like that is not going to be easy to work on, get schematics for, parts, etc.

You need to ask if by hitting the monitor the picture comes back. Usually on the side.

If it does come back, then it could be the flyback transformer is loose.

I had a problem like that 15 years ago with my 1084. To fix it, I resoldered the flyback solder joints to the MB.

Like the previous poster said, be careful, High Voltages are present, even when powered off.