IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

I'm just dying to see Kickman ... it's one of those games that just should have come out back in the day. Along the same lines, Donkey Kong 3 would be awesome ...

And the idea of porting over the best O2 games is great! Pick Axe Pete, KC Munchkin, Killer Bees, UFO, etc.

I'd buy all of the above -- pre-order!

Ron

what about legend of kage?

itd be great fun and a beautiful game

I can't believe that there is someone else besides me out there who likes "Legend of Kage". :D

It was one of my first original games for the C=64 back in the days (1986). Nowadays my collection contains the complete copies of C=64 Tape, C=64 Disk and NES. Has it been released for other home-systems aswell?

If anyone does decide to give 2600 Archon a shot (and I can't think of any technical reason why it couldn't do it), be sure to swing by the Archon: Evolution site. From their Developer Diary--

Jon Freeman (of Free Fall Associates) has very kindly provided us with a wealth of Archon data/information - all taken straight from the original! We now have the complete set of icon attributes (speed, health, damage etc) as well as much of the AI and background game logic.

I would pay real money to see these ported from the Odyssey 2 (note the exclamation points!).

Pick Axe Pete!

K.C. Munchkin!

Turtles!

Freedom Fighters!

Killer Bees!

The Quest for the Rings!

Attack of the Timelord!

UFO!

I'd also get a kick out of seeing Wing Commander attempted. It's coming to the GameBoy Advance really soon now ...

• Like 1

I would pay real money to see these ported from the Odyssey 2 (note the exclamation points!).  

Pick Axe Pete!

K.C. Munchkin!

Turtles!

Freedom Fighters!

Killer Bees!

The Quest for the Rings!

Attack of the Timelord!

UFO!

I'd also get a kick out of seeing Wing Commander attempted.  It's coming to the GameBoy Advance really soon now ...

Hmmm.. what an interesting idea!! I love it!! I suppose even the voice module games *could* be possible as well (perhaps).

Great idea :)

I'd love to see Bosconian and Scramble. Those are great games, and even in limited fashion might be fun on the 2600. (Personally, I liked Super Cobra, even though the stuttering background makes your brain hurt after awhile.) Perhaps instead of "solid" backgrounds in Scramble, an approach like that used for Stargate would work.

(A few minutes pass...)

Mission 3000 is indeed a pretty good starting point for Bosconian. Definitely need to have the pods on the space stations though. (Time Pilot is another game that is Bosconianesque, minus the space stations.)

I'd also like to see Lunar Lander. I wonder if a Gravitar hack would be a starting point for that?

Rampart would be very cool, too. Check out the Lynx version for a solid, lower-rez port.

I don't know about Quantum... while it's a great arcade game, I think it would look pretty tragic on a 2600. ;)

Could Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-move or Snood be 2600'd?

I'm really looking forward to Star Fire, speaking of ports. I still like the arcade game! (Bonus points if you can name the movie it was featured in, and the 'future' star who was playing it.)

I'd love to see the following:

Ladybug

Turbo

I thought Coleco put out Ladybug for the 2600. My long-term memory is gettin' fuzzy though. Must be thinking of something else. Maybe it was one of those oft-announced, never programmed games.

They announced Turbo for the 2600 too, and Electronic Games even included it in their 1983 Guide to Videogames - with a mock-up of the screen. I waited forever for that game, and assumed it had been at least started on, since EG claimed it was really great. However, I finally suspected they never saw a working version - just the same mock-up that was printed. That would be a tough game for the 2600, and probably never made it off the drawing board (although if Enduro worked...).

If you use the driving controllers, how will you implement forward/reverse shifting? Using the difficulty switches (esp with a 6-switch model) would be neat, but a joystick (with a Y-adapter) would be more practical (and if carts are made, the Y-adapters could be an optional pack-in). Or you could just do away with reverse ala Indy 500.

what about legend of kage?

itd be great fun and a beautiful game

I can't believe that there is someone else besides me out there who likes "Legend of Kage". :D

It was one of my first original games for the C=64 back in the days (1986). Nowadays my collection contains the complete copies of C=64 Tape, C=64 Disk and NES. Has it been released for other home-systems aswell?

heck yeah man

the games killer

and can be very tough

would anyone else like to see kage on 2600 or 7800

i know i would

is

If you use the driving controllers, how will you implement forward/reverse shifting?  Using the difficulty switches (esp with a 6-switch model) would be neat, but a joystick (with a Y-adapter) would be more practical (and if carts are made, the Y-adapters could be an optional pack-in).  Or you could just do away with reverse ala Indy 500.

I dropped the difficulty switch idea. I'll use the switches for something else. It's going to require a Y adapter otherwise you'll be locked in forward gear. I won't release the game on cart unless there are pre-assembled Y-adapters available from somewhere.

I don't want anyone to have to wire their own.

http://www.homebrewgames.net/deathderby/

I second whoever suggested Kickman. It's a natural for the 2600's, uh, "unique" graphics system.

For a new game, make Astro Blaster, and base it on Megamania, which is, ironically enough, a simplified copy of Astro Blaster to begin with. Add laser overheating, warp slowdown, asteroid wave and docking, and voilá!

• 7 months later...
I like to know which ones could be possible.

Good lord, just about anything COULD be done, just depends on how well.

Off the top of my head, some of the ones that could be done, and done reasonably well, I think, would be:

Guzzler

Frenzy

Super Pac-Man

Asteroids Deluxe

Galaga

Gaplus (Galaga 3)

Blaster

Bomb Jack

Ataxx

Donkey Kong 3

Ladybug