IGNORED

How long can GBA-SP sleep?

Uzumaki

I was helping my Mom clean her van out and I found my GBA-SP that I had misplaced back in May. It was on and it was paused in the middle of a game, not at title screen like when the switch was just turned on.

That was back in May, did my SP somehow kept waiting nonstop and without external power for 3 months? Or did some alien come in at night and turned it on? Because if it really did sleep for 3 months, that'd have to be a personal record

GBA SP's dont have a sleep mode.

I thought so too, but it turns out that a lot of games do though. Perhaps it became part of their standard at some point in GBA's life. Generally it's L+R+Select to activate it.

But 3 months? I think that qualifies as a second degree miracle.

Edited by Reaperman

Many CPUs have halt functions which are usually used by programs in order to save power when nothing happens. Many devices, like TI graphing calculators, don't even turn off when you push the "off" button, but they turn off the screen and goes to halt. For any of these devices, pressing the on/resume button will invoke a hardware interrupt to the CPU, in which case it will be kicked out of halt mode.

The benefits of this is that the CPU just waits, and therefore uses just enough power to keep the internal registers and logic active. There is no activity on the bus or in the execution unit of the CPU which is about equalent of reducing the clock speed to zero.

Edited by per

That sounds cool, but I don't think the SP even "knows" if it's closed. The DS does it with magnetic switches that sense when the system is closed. At least, I seem to recall using my SP as a music player way back when because you could close it and shove it in a pocket while running.