IGNORED

Post any ColecoVision question/comment

Yurkie

I don't know how this will go over, but the ColecoVision forums have been kind of dead lately.

I am just drinking some Budweisers and refurbishing some ADAM controllers. I thought it would be nice to start a general thread in the ColecoVision subforum.

Edited by Yurkie

My guess is that Coleco industries would have released a paddle or spinner hand controller had they not went bankrupt.

Not really, ... from what I learned over the years, Coleco did stop production of ALL Colecovision related stuff since the very same peoples had to work (rush) the ADAM Computer

Eric Bromley said, If Coleco hadn't given up on videogames, crash or not, it would have been here today instead of Nintendo

My guess is that Coleco industries would have released a paddle or spinner hand controller had they not went bankrupt.

Not really, ... from what I learned over the years, Coleco did stop production of ALL Colecovision related stuff since the very same peoples had to work (rush) the ADAM Computer

Eric Bromley said, If Coleco hadn't given up on videogames, crash or not, it would have been here today instead of Nintendo

Your quote contridicts your post buddy :)

Thanks for your offer of fielding questions. The Colecovision I had as a kid is still in my parent's house, so I can't get at it right now. But the last time I tested it, something seemed to be wrong with the controller input. The player one controller seemed to be stuck so that it inputted only left, regardless of which controller I plugged in, including Super Action controllers. So I couldn't get poor Mario to move right toward any ladders. I think that all of the pins were still there. Is this a common problem and an easy fix?

Thanks for your offer of fielding questions. The Colecovision I had as a kid is still in my parent's house, so I can't get at it right now. But the last time I tested it, something seemed to be wrong with the controller input. The player one controller seemed to be stuck so that it inputted only left, regardless of which controller I plugged in, including Super Action controllers. So I couldn't get poor Mario to move right toward any ladders. I think that all of the pins were still there. Is this a common problem and an easy fix?

Probably octal buffer IC. I will replace for $20 or $10 if combined my ColecoVision mods or services.

If you go the DIY method please exercise extreme caution that you don't ruin the PCB traces... It is really easy to wreck the traces . Perhaps a few people can weigh in on how easy it is to wreak traces.

Did somebody say MUSIC? I'm now listening to the complete Alan Parsons Project discography, including the five Eric Woolfson albums (over 600 songs/2 solid days).

By the way, I do have a question: why do I get a headache after drinking as little as one Budweiser, but can drink (many) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's with no problem (well, as long as I don't get stopped)?

PS. I just found out Alan Parsons was the engineer for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

How did I forgot CCR and also Neil Young in my list ?!!

I guess there's too many I could name!

Yeah, a favorites list could get rather long, but you got a great start. How about adding to your list:

:arrow: Triumph

:arrow: Rush

:arrow: Yes (all the incarnations, old and new as well as when the original members got back together and couldn't use the name because it was still in use and had to go by "ABWH")

How did I forgot CCR and also Neil Young in my list ?!!

I guess there's too many I could name!

Yeah, a favorites list could get rather long, but you got a great start. How about adding to your list:

:arrow: Triumph

:arrow: Rush

:arrow: Yes (all the incarnations, old and new as well as when the original members got back together and couldn't use the name because it was still in use and had to go by "ABWH")

Rush is really awesome

As for YES , I saw them in show like 3-4 times in Montreal

And their albums artworks (by Roger Dean) are so %?$?7%? great! :thumbsup:

- Harmonium (from Quebec, old progressive rock, they made the first part of Supertramp in 70s)

I like Harmonium a lot. Their instrumentation is a bit reminiscent of the Violent Femmes (including acoustic bass guitar IIRC) but with a completely different sound and style. I really like the first track on their first album -- the end of it reminds me of the "Celestial Voices" section of Pink Floyd's "A Saucerful of Secrets".

BTW I've always been amused that the name of the band, the first album, and the first song on the first album are all the same. "And that was 'Harmonium', by Harmonium, off their album Harmonium. Next up, "Black Sabbath", by Black Sabbath, off their album...well, you know." I wonder what other bands have done that? The only other one I can think of is Bo Diddley, but that was a single, not an album...

...huh, there's a thread on Straight Dope about it! They don't mention Harmonium, but they do mention Slowdive, which had vaguely registered at the back of my mind. Seems like metal bands do this a lot.

• Like 1

I like Harmonium a lot. Their instrumentation is a bit reminiscent of the Violent Femmes (including acoustic bass guitar IIRC) but with a completely different sound and style. I really like the first track on their first album -- the end of it reminds me of the "Celestial Voices" section of Pink Floyd's "A Saucerful of Secrets".

Wow! I'm so happy that you know about Harmonium!

For a Quebec band, known in USA ... Its so cool!

You should really listen to their 2nd Album wich in my opinion is their BEST album (some will say its their 3rd album is best)

Harmonium have a really interesting story btw

I have a (real) painting of their 2nd album painted by my mother as a gift as she know how much this album mean to me (Mom, I love you, you're the best and you also introduced me to ColecoVision and gaming in general)

I would not be here without her!