IGNORED

Vice: C64 Emulator Assistance

VectorGamer

I'm using Vice to emulate C64. I can load the games no problem. Problem is I can't start any games because I can't find exactly what keystrokes need to be entered to start a game, set options etc.

Maybe LOAD "*",8,1 and then RUN. It's been a long time since I played with C64 stuff. I think there's an Autostart option when loading a disk image. That is, it attaches the image and basically runs the LOAD/RUN commands for you.

I'm using Vice to emulate C64. I can load the games no problem. Problem is I can't start any games because I can't find exactly what keystrokes need to be entered to start a game, set options etc.

Maybe LOAD "*",8,1 and then RUN. It's been a long time since I played with C64 stuff. I think there's an Autostart option when loading a disk image. That is, it attaches the image and basically runs the LOAD/RUN commands for you.

Yeah I use the autostart but once the game loads I have no idea how to start the game

that would totally depend on the game. Most of them show something on screen. A lot of them used the F1-F8 keys (normally just the odd numbers as those didn't require holding shift).

Another thing to check is which joystick you're emulating. Most games use the joystick in the 2nd port instead of the 1st port because the 1st port interferes with reading the keyboard.

Open Vice, Settings > Keyboard Settings > Change from "Positional" to "Symbolic (US)"

It is weird, considering the inconsistencies between contemporary keyboards and the C64 keyboard.

and WHY did they have to emulate the joystick pinout problem? At least it's accurate :)

• 1 month later...

Escape is Run Stop for me in Vice otherwise bigbee99 is right on

Press alt+j to swap joystick ports and then try your fire button again

Download a different copy of the disk image

I play tons of images from gamebase64. Most of the time the only keys I need are

L O A D " * " ,8,1

RUN STOP

SPACE

+/-

Letter keys are the same for me on a US keyboard

" is shift+2

* is close bracket ]

<above enter next to \>

, is the same

numbers are the same

as mentioned above RUN STOP is escape

+ is - (sometimes used to go through crack instructions)

alt is the same

commodore key is usually the left control key