IGNORED

130XL (800XLF+128K) aka the first 130XE

kheller2

As some of you are aware, I've been doing research for a month or so now on a peculiar motherboard that I acquired in order to bring it to life; it is a bare board. It has led to some historical confusion as to what came first, when and by whom. For example, the first XE shaped boards were marked 900XLF, yet, here is an XL shaped board (possibly before the 900XLF) marked XE. There are more notes and pics to follow in the next few days, but from working with drawings, pictures of produced 800XLF boards and a lot of late nights studying board traces, this prototype board, in my opinion, is a direct descendent of the the 800XLF REV R1-R4 boards. In fact, the majority of components and silkscreen names and locations are identical, perhaps up to 95% as you get higher into the REV level of the 800XLFs.

I consider this a pretty shot, given I like the XL style the best:

post-4566-0-27321500-1314884727_thumb.jpg

For marketing purposes, I'm calling this a 130XL to avoid confusion with the marketed 130XE. For new Atari users in the community, Atari 8bits have two names. One being the marketing name that you see on the label on the computer case/box itself, the other the engineering name etched into the board itself. And for those following along in the 1450 threads, you are familiar with this. :)

Note, that when I say 800XLF I mean the PAL/NTSC "800XLF" boards, not the "ROSE" boards... although they do have similarities as well, I haven't investigated where they fit into the XLF timelines.

Edited by kheller2

Nice. Any more pics?

What about that "50.84" - could that be 1984/week 50 ? Although that mightn't fit into the timeline properly.

That is correct. In fact the component side has this:

post-4566-0-29315700-1314887360_thumb.jpg

That is confusing given this of a 65XE:

post-4566-0-01594200-1314887388_thumb.jpg

Revision 3, already? During the 2nd to last week of the year.

Edited by kheller2

• 7 years later...

no mask applied....

I will give you a clue... encasement matters...

look at where the ports connectors and joysticks line up....

remember we had that whole redesign for the XE ST and XEGS...

it's not always about function... sometimes it's about form.

Edited by _The Doctor__

It looks like it uses Freddie (clue = 6 40 pin slots which equates to CPU, 3 custom, PIA and Freddie)

It does. As pictured here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/139960-800xl-motherboards-variants-ntsc-pal-secam-for-dummies/?do=findComment&comment=1696101

Remember this board was done after the 800xlf, it’s just a progression on the existing Rev3 xlf board.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

post-4566-1236212203_thumb.png

I was doing some checking on the bare 130XE board I have (Best Electonics' version is picture above), and noted the following differences with the EMMU when compared to the released 130XE:

• Freddie A14/A15 are reversed
  • there is no clock (not sure how that works w/o a clock)
  • Antic banking is missing

Everything else is identical to the 130XE (so far...)

Top is the stock 130XE, bottom is the prototype 130XE R1 XL board.

EMMU.png

Now maybe there are several wires soldered on the bottom of this board to add those functions, but I have no pictures of the bottom side.

I did manage to figure out what the mess of resistors are on the bottom right below the PIA -- they are the three 3.3K pull-ups for PB2, 3 and 4 which have no location on the board.  I think I have enough information now to build this thing.  It's only been a decade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...