IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You know... if this actually comes to fruition and is released in decent numbers like the Flashback 2 was, you could see the prices of old used Atari 2600 and 7800 games go through the roof as everyone who gets one goes to e-bay and buys whatever they can find to play on the system.

Games would become rarer and even commons would become less common. Even the influx of a couple thousand new Atari fans would have a pretty big impact on prices.

Edited by Lendorien

I can't imagine this would get too many new buyers purchasing cartridges. People buy things like this to briefly relive some memories. Rarely does that translate into an obsession for the average person, although it does happen on occasion.

That's why DVD highlight collections for television shows exist. While the diehard fans puzzle why someone would just purchase a small sample of a show instead of season sets or complete sets, but for many people, they just want to briefly relive some memories and a budget set with perhaps a single disc full of episodes is enough to scratch that itch.

I don't see something like this igniting a large number of people to start collecting. I suspect most buyers would stick to the built in library and ignore the cartridge port.

I wonder if OShea's or whatever they were called will regret scrapping so much of their inventory if this thing somehow takes off and what you said does happen and there's suddenly a larger market for this stuff.

Edited by Atariboy

FYI, by 'price point' I meant... $179 would probably be crossing into the "do I need this" category.

Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Price would be a thing that would slow me from buying it. I would get it I'm sure, but the price would slow me down if it was too high. Well, that and if it didn't review well.

Another question, will I be able to use other controllers? I have a modded NES pad that I'm very pleased with, and a few other controllers I use from time to time. I'm sure this has been covered but I clearly missed it in my sudden excited rush to say I would love to have this item.

FYI, by 'price point' I meant... $179 would probably be crossing into the "do I need this" category.

Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Price would be a thing that would slow me from buying it. I would get it I'm sure, but the price would slow me down if it was too high. Well, that and if it didn't review well.

Another question, will I be able to use other controllers? I have a modded NES pad that I'm very pleased with, and a few other controllers I use from time to time. I'm sure this has been covered but I clearly missed it in my sudden excited rush to say I would love to have this item.

Yeah price is going to be a huge factor in me buying this game as well . . . .

I think that someway, somehow, the casing has to incorporate a bit of 'faux' woodgrain, even if it's just a simple strip along the front or top of the casing.

I mean, c'mon...

Why? The 7800 has no woodgrain.

Yeah I can live without the wood grain as well.

Woodgrain... No woodgrain...

How long till I can have one? :D

If it was high priced, but reviewed well, I'd likely buy it. But, I already have a modded 2600 that does s-video, so this had better be leaps and bounds above that.

Just a question here... is this console going to be released in lieu of or in addition to the 7800 XM?

Well, "With the 7800 Expansion Module moving to shipping shortly, it would be the intention to incorporate its features inside this new console, so it would all be built in..." seems to indicate that the XM is shipping, and this will also be produced.

This looks like it's really cool and all, but if it's all on an FPGA chip, and they don't have to source too many old parts like they did for the XM, there's no way it should be $179. If it's a penny over $99, it's too expensive. In theory, this shouldn't be that much more expensive to produce than the flashback(s) and those retailed for $50 before they went to closeout.

Why? The 7800 has no woodgrain.

Why not? The 2600 does!

I think if it were of sturdy, reliable construction with quality video out, I'd be willing to pay $100-$150. Above that price point it would be a tough call.

No, the 2600 doesn't have woodgrain. It's black. The VCS has woodgrain. :P

Haha, I'm just messin' with ya. You know, 'cause the 2600 didn't say 2600 on it when it was released, it just said Video Computer System. And, IIRC, the Vader was the first one to say 2600 on the console. :D