IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'd say we lost very little on floppies during the heydey - maybe a dozen disks over 8 to 10 years.

BUT back to this fine little machine...

There are many cartridges still commonly available at places like The Exchange, however, if Jphn Q Public buys this as a X-mas gift next year he might be at a loss. Most people would not even know the Harmony Cart exists.

I'll be interested to see how much gets bundled with the system and what will be avilable (if anything) separately.

Atari Brand?

When taking the survey, at the beginning of this thread, I indicated that I would buy the new system even if it wasn't an Atari brand-name console. That still is the case. However, I can’t help but think of the possibilities…if this thing had an Atari logo on it.

Here are a few that come to mind:

- It could be perceived as a big deal to the media. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to imagine a spot on one of the national news programs…“Not only did this primitive little system start the video-game craze, but has attracted enough of a fan-base to be re-released after all these years!!...that’s never happened”.

- Curt and his team, makers of the Harmony Cartridge, along with the self-published cartridge makers would have a better opportunity to get decent compensation for their efforts. (Who knows…maybe some new games from Activision!...OK, that’s a bit of a stretch.)

- I suspect that the value of the cartridges, peripherals and memorabilia, owned by collectors, would go up.

- There may be a nitch in the market, for the casual gamer, that this system could fill.

- No doubt there are many more possibilities...your thoughts?

Based on the success of the FBs and other Atari plug-ins, I think that if this system was an “Atari”, it would have the potential to be a major event to people…other than us enthusiasts.

Thanks,

StephenJ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can´t believe that I almost overlooked this one!

Hope that it gets real!

If a "very well-known" compnay is involved, could we assume that there will be a release in Europe, too? Importing from America is very expensive... :-o

And if there will be Homebrews "built-in", may I suggest the following ones: Juno First, Medieval Mayhem, Rainbow Invaders, Lady Bug.

I can´t believe that I almost overlooked this one!

Hope that it gets real!

If a "very well-known" compnay is involved, could we assume that there will be a release in Europe, too? Importing from America is very expensive... :-o

Indeed it is. Had to pick up a package from the U.S. at the customs office this morning and pay an additional "fee" for the well-being of my country.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking about this last night. I hope it is still a go. I understand Curt and the boys first have to get the 7800XM out. I'm really looking forward to this. Since we will most likely never see the 8-bit computer/5200 based FB3, I have switched my hopes to this new console.

What's the deal with the newsletter/magazine, is that still a go as well?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OKay,

So, do you want a NEW console that is 2600/7800 compatible in the

2600jr Style:

http://www.pugo.org/...Atari2600jr.jpg

Or

3200 "System X" Style:

http://www.atarimuse...lvia/sylvia.JPG

With the 7800 Expansion Module moving to shipping shortly, it would be the intention to incorporate its features inside this new console, so it would all be built in - the high score keeping, pokey and so forth (just not the SIO and keyboard ports) So this would be a new super-7800 system. It just comes down to, which design would you prefer? The 3200 console is slightly bigger then the 2600jr, but around the size of the 7800 console, it is a more complex casing so the product cost would be higher due to the case, just keep that in mind.

This would NOT be an Atari product, it would not be licensed to use the Atari name, it would however be under a very well known video game company name that some may feel is equally as important as Atari. So this would be done and sold under a non-Atari name, it would be an Atari-compatible system only.

Need as much input from people as possible by Sept 15th please... thanks.

Curt

either would be amazing as long as some consideration is given to uk/european users.

Atari was not only big in the U.s.a :)

Speaking of which, has there ever been support for 5200 games in the Flashback series, or other dedicated consoles?

Not that I'm aware of. If you were going to reproduce the A8 chip set in Flashback form you'd be better off going for a full A8 machine emulation with something like the 800XL as the base in my opinion. Then you'd have a much larger selection of games to draw titles from for building in purposes. Plus the A8s have a very healthy homebrew scene just in case you need to boost the selection of built in games (all used with permission of course).

Plus you wouldn't have to deal with those accursed analog controllers... although I suspect technology has advanced to the point where that should no longer be an issue.

Yeah, an Atari XEGS clone would be an acceptable substitute. Funny that nobody's attempted this yet...

Speaking of which, has there ever been support for 5200 games in the Flashback series, or other dedicated consoles?

Not that I'm aware of. If you were going to reproduce the A8 chip set in Flashback form you'd be better off going for a full A8 machine emulation with something like the 800XL as the base in my opinion. Then you'd have a much larger selection of games to draw titles from for building in purposes. Plus the A8s have a very healthy homebrew scene just in case you need to boost the selection of built in games (all used with permission of course).

This was going to be the FB3 if you read the beginning of the FB3 thread, but that was back in 2005.

FB3...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...