Jump to content
Rev

Colecovision Auction Watch

Recommended Posts

On 9/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, youki said:

i still do not understand how "collectors" work...

 

Why Gnz goes so high in price , while there are other colecovision games that have been produced in less quantities that never go so high.

A big mistery for me.    You could say , it is because the game is good ,  but this argument do not work , as now there is knight'n more that is more or less the same game but better.

 

Because someone passed a rumor that they were rare.

 

I would have thought that the SGM module was created for original content.
The original Super Game Module expansion #3 was to play Super Games on wafer drives.

Seriously...
If you are going to extend the capabilities of the Colecovision then make new content to take advantage of them instead of just porting MSX and ADAM games.  Where's the nostalgia of playing an MSX game on a different system.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, youki said:

i still do not understand how "collectors" work...

 

Why Gnz goes so high in price , while there are other colecovision games that have been produced in less quantities that never go so high.

A big mistery for me.    You could say , it is because the game is good ,  but this argument do not work , as now there is knight'n more that is more or less the same game but better.

 

Maybe they consider it a prototype😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Because someone passed a rumor that they were rare.

 

I would have thought that the SGM module was created for original content.
The original Super Game Module expansion #3 was to play Super Games on wafer drives.

Seriously...
If you are going to extend the capabilities of the Colecovision then make new content to take advantage of them instead of just porting MSX and ADAM games.  Where's the nostalgia of playing an MSX game on a different system.
 

I guess I am in a minority as I have never understood this argument

 

obviously people love original content, but why is it wrong if the games are also ports?  A lot of people never had access to MSX computers or the ADAM.  The only thing that should matter is: is it a good game and Will it sell so that the dev gets a return on his/her investment.

 

Apparently MSX converted games can sell in sufficient qualities so there’s a market there.  At the end of the day, MSX or other converted games ARE new colecovision content, from a certain POV

 

Disclaimer:  I am not a current client for homebrew (i am a rom digital buyer, not a cart buyer) so I don’t have a fish to fry but that doesn’t prevent me from having an opinion ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Because someone passed a rumor that they were rare.

 

I would have thought that the SGM module was created for original content.
The original Super Game Module expansion #3 was to play Super Games on wafer drives.

Seriously...
If you are going to extend the capabilities of the Colecovision then make new content to take advantage of them instead of just porting MSX and ADAM games.  Where's the nostalgia of playing an MSX game on a different system.
 

What percentage of SGM cartridges are new code rather than ported code?  What was needed by homebrewers was large capacity cartridges to break the 32k barrier and that was achieved separately from the SGM.  Afterall the purpose of the original SGM that Coleco envisioned was to provide large capacity games on tape.  If you were to program a new colecovision game with all new code wouldn't you just use the extra sound chip as an option.

Edited by mr_me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loafer said:

I guess I am in a minority as I have never understood this argument

 

obviously people love original content, but why is it wrong if the games are also ports?  A lot of people never had access to MSX computers or the ADAM.  The only thing that should matter is: is it a good game and Will it sell so that the dev gets a return on his/her investment.

 

Apparently MSX converted games can sell in sufficient qualities so there’s a market there.  At the end of the day, MSX or other converted games ARE new colecovision content, from a certain POV

 

Disclaimer:  I am not a current client for homebrew (i am a rom digital buyer, not a cart buyer) so I don’t have a fish to fry but that doesn’t prevent me from having an opinion ;)

I get what you are saying but if you want to play an MSX game you can do it on a webpage, emulator, your phone...
Just the mere selection of the chips gives the impression that the SGM was created to play MSX ports.

Hey, if you have the money and want to spend $60 on a 40 year old game just because it was moved to a Colecovision then who am I to judge but there is nothing nostalgia or new about it.  Not a classic and not a collectors item short of being in short supply.

And if I had to bet... The carts were bought, copied then resold to recoup the premium price.
 

 

 

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

What percentage of SGM cartridges are new code rather than ported code?  What was needed by homebrewers was large capacity cartridges to break the 32k barrier and that was achieved separately from the SGM.  Afterall the purpose of the original SGM that Coleco envisioned was to provide large capacity games on tape.

In my research to program on the Coleco I have been studying MSX code as well.
Go to MSX developer sites and changing Coleco to MSX or vice versa is just a few values.
So it's not a mystery why there are plenty of MSX ports.

If you are going to expand the Coleco then create something new that utilizes the new stuff.
Something I have yet to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

If you are going to expand the Coleco then create something new that utilizes the new stuff.
Something I have yet to see.

Nothing nostalgic about that :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Because someone passed a rumor that they were rare.

 

I would have thought that the SGM module was created for original content.
The original Super Game Module expansion #3 was to play Super Games on wafer drives.

Seriously...
If you are going to extend the capabilities of the Colecovision then make new content to take advantage of them instead of just porting MSX and ADAM games.  Where's the nostalgia of playing an MSX game on a different system.
 

The original SGM module was designed to play super games (enhanced arcade ports and original content), and the modern SGM does the same same thing (enhanced arcade ports and original content).

 

So I am not understanding you here. 

 

Are you saying none of the modern SGM games are original content?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Are you saying none of the modern SGM games are original content?

According to CV Addict, here is a list of SGM games so far. I've attempted to look up the /probable/ source for each per forum or web comments. Some ports are enhanced - I don't specify here whether it is or is not. Non-authoritative, my sources are dubious. ;) Please correct any errors below.

 

Bosconian               Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Buck Rogers Super Game  Team Pixelboy   2013    Adam port
Caos Begins             Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Caverns of Titan        Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Children of the Night   Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Cold Blood              Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Comic Bakery            Collectorvision 2014    MSX port
Danger Tower            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Deep Dungeon Adventure  Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Dragon's Lair           Team Pixelboy   2012    Adam port
Galaga                  Collectorvision 2014    MSX port
Ghostbusters            Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Goonies, The            Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Gradius                 Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Heroes Arena            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Hole In One             Collectorvision 2017    MSX port
J.E.T.P.A.C.            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Jumpland                Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
King & Balloon          Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port    
King's Valley           Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Knight Lore             Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Knightmare              Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port
Kung-Fu Master          Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Majikazo                Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Mappy                   Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Mecha-8                 Team Pixelboy   2013    MSX port
Mecha-9                 Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Monster House           Collectorvision 2017    MSX port
Operation Wolf          Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Penguin Adventure       Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Rally-X                 Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Roller Ball             Collectorvision 2013    MSX port
Sasa                    Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Secret of the Moai      Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Shmup!                  Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Shouganai               Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Spelunker               Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port    
Star Soldier            Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Stray Cat               Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Subroc Super Game       Team Pixelboy   2014    Adam port
Super Pac-Man           Team Pixelboy   2016    Sord M5 port
Tank Battalion          Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
The Stone of Wisdom     Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port
Thexder                 Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Traffic Jam             Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
TwinBee                 Team Pixelboy   2014    MSX port
Txupinazo!              Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Warp & Warp             Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Wizard of Wor           Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Zanac                   Collectorvision 2015    MSX port
Zaxxon Super Game       Team Pixelboy   2012    Adam port
Zombie Incident         Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port

 

It would appear none of those games are original. I thought there were some. Perhaps there are others.
 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tursi said:

According to CV Addict, here is a list of SGM games so far. I've attempted to look up the /probable/ source for each per forum or web comments. Some ports are enhanced - I don't specify here whether it is or is not. Non-authoritative, my sources are dubious. ;) Please correct any errors below.

 

Bosconian               Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Buck Rogers Super Game  Team Pixelboy   2013    Adam port
Caos Begins             Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Caverns of Titan        Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Children of the Night   Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Cold Blood              Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Comic Bakery            Collectorvision 2014    MSX port
Danger Tower            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Deep Dungeon Adventure  Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Dragon's Lair           Team Pixelboy   2012    Adam port
Galaga                  Collectorvision 2014    MSX port
Ghostbusters            Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Goonies, The            Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Gradius                 Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Heroes Arena            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Hole In One             Collectorvision 2017    MSX port
J.E.T.P.A.C.            Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Jumpland                Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
King & Balloon          Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port    
King's Valley           Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Knight Lore             Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Knightmare              Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port
Kung-Fu Master          Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Majikazo                Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Mappy                   Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Mecha-8                 Team Pixelboy   2013    MSX port
Mecha-9                 Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Monster House           Collectorvision 2017    MSX port
Operation Wolf          Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Penguin Adventure       Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Rally-X                 Team Pixelboy   2016    MSX port
Roller Ball             Collectorvision 2013    MSX port
Sasa                    Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Secret of the Moai      Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Shmup!                  Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Shouganai               Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Spelunker               Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port    
Star Soldier            Collectorvision 2016    MSX port
Stray Cat               Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Subroc Super Game       Team Pixelboy   2014    Adam port
Super Pac-Man           Team Pixelboy   2016    Sord M5 port
Tank Battalion          Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
The Stone of Wisdom     Team Pixelboy   2015    MSX port
Thexder                 Team Pixelboy   2012    MSX port
Traffic Jam             Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
TwinBee                 Team Pixelboy   2014    MSX port
Txupinazo!              Team Pixelboy   2017    MSX port
Warp & Warp             Opcode Games    2016    MSX port
Wizard of Wor           Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port
Zanac                   Collectorvision 2015    MSX port
Zaxxon Super Game       Team Pixelboy   2012    Adam port
Zombie Incident         Team Pixelboy   2018    MSX port

 

It would appear none of those games are original. I thought there were some. Perhaps there are others.
 

Damn, you Sir are good, I too thought there were original SGM games.  Until CollectorVision or Team Pixelboy chime in then.

 

I salute you two times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the games were written for both MSX and colecovision by the same author: Chaos begins, Children of the night, multiverse, Mecha-8, Mecha 9, and Zombie Incident

Edited by Bmack36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This all sounds like Mike quoting the same blogger as the "price of Phoenix is not competitive so people should not be buying it" crap. And how did a comment about the price of GnZ on eBay get a response about his dislike of SGM games?🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Some of the games were written for both MSX and colecovision by the same author: Chaos begins, Children of the night, multiverse, Mecha-8, Mecha 9, and Zombie Incident

Also Shouganai and Cold Blood - though for these two the MSX version was released first, then the same team ported to ColecoVision. ;) I don't know the order for the others, the Paxanga homepage specifically called out these two.

 

After a little research, Nanochess's page seems to say that Mecha-8 is a port, but Mecha-9 looks like simultaneous development? So that would count as original content!

Edited by Tursi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know for a fact there are some original exclusive games coming for the phoenix and after all the game system is just now shipping. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swami said:

 And how did a comment about the price of GnZ on eBay get a response about his dislike of SGM games?🙄

I was wondering the same thing ... lol ...😁

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Swami said:

This all sounds like Mike quoting the same blogger as the "price of Phoenix is not competitive so people should not be buying it" crap. And how did a comment about the price of GnZ on eBay get a response about his dislike of SGM games?🙄

No one is saying don't buy or anything else of that sort.

I am simply saying NOTHING nostalgia, NOTHING new, Just ports.

The Phoenix is someones brain child that was dreamed of and made reality, more than I have ever done, KUDOS...
Regardless, nothing new other than the shell it comes in at a premium price.  I still have plans to buy one once they add the ADAM core but it brings nothing new to the table.

Who said I dislike SGM games?  Now you are just including your take on things.

All these so called SUPER GAMES are nothing new other than change a bit of code to work on a Colecovision.
I never said they were garbage or don't buy them.  Spend your money any way you want...enjoy

 

And AGAIN...
If you are going to expand the capabilities of the Colecovision then create original content.

When you look at the SGM as a whole, from the outside, it looks like it was created for the sole purpose of porting MSX and ADAM Super Games with minimal effort.  While the ORIGINAL SGM EXP#3 was supposed to expand the Coleco Library to Super Status with new levels and high score saving.

So go on Ebay, pay the premium price and put it on the shelf with the rest of your collection.  Enjoy, have fun...no one is stopping you.

Edited by Mike Harris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, digress said:

i know for a fact there are some original exclusive games coming for the phoenix and after all the game system is just now shipping. 

And I am all for that.
I am just waiting for everything to roll out and the ADAM Core before I get mine.
I originally wanted to expand Venture to Super Venture which included all the treasures and what not missing from the Coleco version but retroillucid informed me that they bought Exidy and the Venture title so...

Maybe with their permission I can complete the Coleco Venture while they have theirs.  I'm not looking to compete more than I am to have the completed version in the Coleco library.  Then again time is money.

I have 15 titles in my list so far, two that I am working on as we speak. An ADAM hardware project and the Adventure game no one cared about so I set that to the side.  A few of my games are ports but coded from scratch.

When I get my Phoenix I have absolute plans to create exclusive games.  I have already fleshed out a new platform game that uses the extra power.  VERY original and cute.

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

I originally wanted to expand Venture to Super Venture which included all the treasures and what not missing from the Coleco version but retroillucid informed me that they bought Exidy and the Venture title so...

Now that is ironic, isn't it?

 

Super Venture would be fantastic - Venture was one of my favorite ColecoVision titles back in '82. 

 

I hope something can be worked out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, 128Kgames said:

Now that is ironic, isn't it?

 

Super Venture would be fantastic - Venture was one of my favorite ColecoVision titles back in '82. 

 

I hope something can be worked out. 

I'm sure whatever they release will be great.  I think it is in 3D or something.

The reality, from what I understand, is that, just like many hacks out there, anyone can alter the original Coleco version to change the treasures or whatever and put it into public domain as long as they aren't making money.

If people want to start crying fowl then they can be reminded of all the titles they don't own but are selling as we speak.

I just don't have the time right now because I have 20 other projects along with remodeling my house.

Edited by Mike Harris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Swami said:

Yes. I know he works with Atariage's Albert and I think he works with Gooddealgames. Probably just got his Challengers today.

Now I can finally get this.  I have been waiting a long time now.

55 minutes ago, Swami said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Mike Harris said:

Prime Condition, near mint.

Already lost 2 bids so far.  Maybe you guys will have better luck.
It looks legit, never used Colecovision...Small defects in packaging.  NOT MINE

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-ColecoVision-Console-Never-used-new-in-box-w-Donkey-Kong/143379613238?epid=109437726&hash=item2162174636:g:LG8AAOSwgWddeELO

wow - nearly 5 days left and it's already almost $400....that is so minty, though.  look at the top sticker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...