IGNORED

My dilemma of starting a collection

So I do want to get some sort of video game console, mainly to collect but maybe to also play occasionaly on the weekend. So here are my options:

Option 1: A pawn shop has an Atari VCS and 50 games for $100. The problem? Me and the shop owner couldn't get it to work. The console gets warm so something IS working but won't display. Either we hooked it up wrong or I think the selector box from the TV to game is bad. Is it worth the risk to get it and try to fix it? Problem is the store owner also thinks it's fixable so he won't drop the price. Picture of it is below.

Option 2: A shop an hour and a half away claims to have "tons" of ataris, NES, SNES etc. I called and he said he sells Ataris for $50 and games are sold seprately(didn't mention price of each). I drove over there to read a post it saying "Be back Tuesday" :roll: I was thinking buying a console there and buy the one for $100 to get games and possibly donate one to the college, they have a display case for the history of computers but nothing in there about video games.

Option 3: I can buy a NES anywhere right now for $50 and games ($5 each) are in no short supply. Or just go with a modern XBOX 360 for like $170 but don't really want to do that.

post-30746-0-19865000-1315169115_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with SlowCoder here. Collect something that either A. You really like and have a passion for or B. something you had from your childhood.

I didn't get my first video game system until I was in Middle School and that was a N64. Strange thing is now the only system I seem to be playing consistently is the 2600. There are many hidden gems for the 2600, games that will surprise you with how much fun you will have with them.

I think I came up with a decision. I'll probably go with the NES. Since I do have a collection of Gameboys, a Nintedo would probably match with them. I don't have any childhood connections with these, all I ever had was a Gameboy Color, SP, Gamecube, and a PS2. So I guess playing the NES would bring some childhood memory of Mario :P .

As of the Atari being warm, if you felt it underneath slightly towards the right it was. I know there really isn't that much under the case. Thanks for your guys help.

I always assumed most collectors, at least initially, collected things rooted in their childhood. Had I not played Atari as a kid, I'm not sure I would see the appeal in collecting it. Once I got rolling along with a museum-like gameroom I branched out into systems I had never played in their prime, but that was more of hardcore collecting instinct than anything else. Right now I can't see collecting any cartridge based system unless you feel like paying high prices, not much stuff shows up in the wild anymore. I'd say go for something with super nerd appeal like the Vectrex.

Agree on the nostalgia thing. I have started with the 2600 because I had it as a kid. I have a four switch model here in the UK, but in the next year I'll be moving back to the US. With my move in mind I bought a heavy sixer on this very site and a bunch of games (over 100 in total). That should keep me happy.

As for branching out - I have come across some cheap 7800 carts, and so I'll be buying on of those if I can find one that is reasonbably priced. I also do a long commute into work (90 minutes one way) and I'm severaly tempted to get a LYNX to pass the time.

One thing I've already decided, I'm interested in Atari, and that's about it. I've never owned a Nintendo - and while I did own a Sega at some point, I never really felt attached to it. So it's all Atari for me.

I think I came up with a decision. I'll probably go with the NES. Since I do have a collection of Gameboys, a Nintedo would probably match with them. I don't have any childhood connections with these, all I ever had was a Gameboy Color, SP, Gamecube, and a PS2. So I guess playing the NES would bring some childhood memory of Mario :P .

I think that may be a good decision, as it fits in with your current brand/gaming scheme. Eventually, you'll probably want to branch out to other consoles, and we can all guide you in the right direction(s). There's lots of them out there, all of them with different strengths and weaknesses.

Depending on what level of collecting you plan to do, you may want to consider getting a multicart for your console(s).

Agree on the nostalgia thing. I have started with the 2600 because I had it as a kid. I have a four switch model here in the UK, but in the next year I'll be moving back to the US. With my move in mind I bought a heavy sixer on this very site and a bunch of games (over 100 in total). That should keep me happy.

As for branching out - I have come across some cheap 7800 carts, and so I'll be buying on of those if I can find one that is reasonbably priced. I also do a long commute into work (90 minutes one way) and I'm severaly tempted to get a LYNX to pass the time.

One thing I've already decided, I'm interested in Atari, and that's about it. I've never owned a Nintendo - and while I did own a Sega at some point, I never really felt attached to it. So it's all Atari for me.

Same here, except for the odd thing is I never owned an Atari growing up, I've tried getting into collecting for other systems, but I think for the community is a big part of why I still with Atari stuff only. My first system I owned as a kid was a N64, and still have my original system, but I'm not attached to it per say. If my brother comes over, sure we'll plug it up, but I don't excited to play it.

I started with what I owned as a kid. Most of my collection in the beginning were things I still had from my chilhood actually. I wanted more NES games at one point so I got more, then I got a VCS at a yard sale and found this place and the rest is history. My collection is all over the place now but that is the nature of the beast. I started in NES, and the VCS rules it now.

Point is, buy what you like. Sometimes I am really rolling on my VCS collection and then I just decide I want more SNES games, so I start down that road for a while, and then the next day I want more Sega CD games, so...

This place is great for the collector because I have gotten something for every system I collect for here. Its not just Atari stuff, so I'm sure you will find a good deal on something very interesting here.

I guess I am like a lot of others here. I started off with the first system I had personal experience with (2600). Naturally, that led into other things. Come to think of it, I am not so certain I would have stuck with games as much as I have had it not been for rediscovering the VCS. Then again, maybe I would have--I do have an unfavorably-addictive personality afterall. :lol:

Scared me because I tried the console the first time and it would just flash black screen and then random color.

Yep, that's typical for the toasters.

If you plan on collecting quite a bit for it, feel free to join up at nintendoage.com. Like members who know a lot about Atari stuff here at AA, there are a lot of NES-only collectors over at NA. You can even log your collection in their system as well. The rarity list will also help you figure out how relatively easy (or difficult) it will be to track down titles you want. :)

Edited by Austin

I find it odd that you are named IntellivisionII yet the Intellision wasn't on the list of things you might want to start your collection with... What up with that?

Congrats on the pick up and welcome to a hobby that will surely take up most of your free time and a chunk of you money. Its fun, but its an addiction for sure.

Well here it is. I got Super Mario Bros., Rad Racer, Rush N' Attack, Spy Hunter, and Airwolf. I don't like the last two but the rest are OK. Scared me because I tried the console the first time and it would just flash black screen and then random color. After cleaning the cartridges, only Rad Racer is giving me fits.

Yeah, most NES systems of that style need their cart connector pins re-shaped or replaced. It's pretty simple to do. Also, snipping the chip that tells the NES "Hey, here's a good prank to play on humans, keep restarting over and over" is a good idea.

Well here it is. I got Super Mario Bros., Rad Racer, Rush N' Attack, Spy Hunter, and Airwolf. I don't like the last two but the rest are OK. Scared me because I tried the console the first time and it would just flash black screen and then random color. After cleaning the cartridges, only Rad Racer is giving me fits.

Yeah, most NES systems of that style need their cart connector pins re-shaped or replaced. It's pretty simple to do. Also, snipping the chip that tells the NES "Hey, here's a good prank to play on humans, keep restarting over and over" is a good idea.

Ever get the one where it will boot up, you will play it for awhile and the power turns off. The button is still pressed in, but nor ligts, nothing. You can turn it back on and it works fine after that. Gotta love that one.