IGNORED

Why are Apple II users "different"?

dudeslife

I'd love to get the Nibble Magazines and Books on DVD, but $99 for the mags and $99 for the books is just too much for me right now.

And that's a reduction in the price. From what I remember, when I first ran across the site several years ago, he was originally charging $149 for the Mag and book on DVD. I'll probably pick up the mags on DVD sometime in the next year and the books sometime after that.

Dean

Funny this should come up. I've been wanting to make an Atarimania or AtariAge type site for Apple II/IIgs stuff for a long time now. The problem is that it's much too large of an undertaking for one person (you'd probably need a whole team) and I don't have the time or web skills to do it properly.

There really does need to be a giant site for Apple II info though. Too many small non-comprehensive sites out there and almost none of them cover games.

Tempest

I agree. In fact, I think everyone in this thread agrees.

While I don't have the time and know-how to be able to make an AtariAge type of site for Apple 2, I'd totally be up for helping out. Even making some sort proper game/app depository/directory that has the images, box/manual scans, and a mini review/synopsis would be cool. Even having how-to sections on ADTPro usage, emulators, and getting the most out of the 2GS and IIc Plus. I could start by grabbing the whole lot of Apple 2 stuff posted on usenet (I have a giganews acct) and passing it along to anyone here who does not have access to it.

Who's up for this?

Even making some sort proper game/app depository/directory that has the images, box/manual scans, and a mini review/synopsis would be cool.

Something like Lemon64's setup would work great.

The VirtualApple site could be great for this. It has lots of games; you can DL images, and it has places for Screenshots and DOCs.

However, it has very few DOCs that I can find browsing thru it... It has a Qref section that could be a synopsis but it is mostly empty.

And no space for reviews really. (I really like the Lemon64/LemonAmiga review features.)

The big problem is the actual work to enter/link all that... Seems several places started and only get so far and stall...

Rather than relying on a person or small group of persons, maybe something that allows more people to update it over time, so people's interest fading in and out wouldn't affect it too much..

Something like a Wiki format????

desiv

Edited by desiv

Just found a website, for anyone who is interested that seems to have copies of Compute Magazine from issue 1 to 160. You can either view the issue online or download a pdf of it. Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/compute-magazine

Dean

Edited by magnusfalkirk

I come from the old days of the II and II+, recalling when the shift-key and lowercase chips were must-have mods. Days of the 300 baud modem, and any experiments with programming and data compression (like the axe packer) were magical. Getting from 300 baud to like 450 baud was miraculous.

I do remember seeing printers and 1200 baud modems as items only rich people could have.

Just found a website, for anyone who is interested that seems to have copies of Compute Magazine from issue 1 to 160. You can either view the issue online or download a pdf of it. Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/compute-magazine

Dean

nice find! notice which system is scarcely represented... apple. wtf.

Yeah it seems like Compute never cared much for the Apple II line of computers.

Dean

Dean

nice find! notice which system is scarcely represented... apple. wtf.

Yeah it seems like Compute never cared much for the Apple II line of computers.

Compute! was devoted to Commodore, BIG-TIME. After that, they gave some of attention to Atari computers, but although Commodore-biased. Perhaps this is because the Commodore machines offered the best bang-for-the-buck and the Apple (by FAR) the least.

• Like 1

Very true. The individual parts in the Apple II were from an earlier time when compared to the likenesses of a C-64 or Atari 8-bit. The Apple II was really the last of the hobbyist computers. The II series was like a culmination of the all the hobbyist hardware, refined and packaged nicely, then marketed to high heaven. With that going full-swing, it seemingly became known as one of the first practical home computer.

But it was the end of a generation, believe it or not! The generation I'm referring to is the style of electronics design. There were no custom chips in the II and II+ .. You might argue a few pals and gals, but they were very simple in nature and readily available. And that's a semantic point anyways.

The C-64 and other 8-bit machines of the era that had come after the II series had custom chips in some form or another, for graphics and sound. This also marked the beginning of an era where it would eventually take multiple programmers and teams to complete a software project. While we weren't there just yet, we were rapidly approaching the time when it was no longer possible for one person to write everything and know everything about one machine.

You may argue a game, today, is still made by one person. Not true! The programmer of today relies on hundreds of megabytes of tools written and developed by teams of thousands of other programmers. Case in point would be the DirectX or OpenGL libraries.

Back then on the Apple II, you had to design your I/O routines, sound and graphics routines and so on. Ohh sure, you could call some stuff from within the Monitor or the built-in basic; but again those routines were written by one person! And to gain the greatest speed, programmers of the day really developed their own Kernel and routines.

• Like 1

A nice stack of Inciders popped up on Ebay (as an auction) last month ......

Speaking of purchases, I knew this (Apple II magazines) sounded familiar!!!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186203-interest-in-a-incider-and-computes-gazette-mags/

Looks like our own SpaceDice2010 acquired a complete Incider AND A+ set just recently...

Wonder if he'd consider scanning (or lending for scanning)????

Hmmmm....

desiv

p.s. Apple users are suppose to be different!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

;-)

Yes I did. Well not quite entirely complete. One of my goals in purchasing this was to actually archive them. But... I want to do as little damage as possible to them in the process. And I would also like to track down the original publisher and get permission as well. With that said, I am working on several other big lots of magazines as well. Right now I would say that I have close to 2,000 back issues of classic magazines. Some are in my house in Maine. Some are in NYC. It's a mess right now and I am totally swamped at work at the moment.

Now. I am having a really hard time tracking down early MacWeek magazines as well as Macworld and MacAddict...

Edited by SpaceDice2010
  • Like 1

Yeah, COMPUTE didn't do much for the Apple.

Seems to me, COMPUTE really took advantage of the custom chips. Re-definable characters, sprites, etc... The Apple actually had the shape tables, and it's not much to make a short blitter in assembly. That's what we did back then. Took a while though.

The Integer BASIC was plenty fast for COMPUTE stuff, but most people were focused on Applesoft. Another barrier there too.

They did some lo-res games. Liked a few of those.

Yes I did.

Awesome

Right now I would say that I have close to 2' date='000 back issues of classic magazines. Some are in my house in Maine. Some are in NYC. It's a mess right now and I am totally swamped at work at the moment

[/quote']

So, Wednesday?

Kidding.... ;-)

Good to hear, thanx!

desiv

And I would also like to track down the original publisher and get permission as well.

Why? Are you going to sell them? Get personal notoriety? Why not just scan them and anonymously put then on usenet for the good fo the commnunity? If you ask for permission, you will not get it.. Their legal department will always assume that "maybe in the future" they can make money off of back issues, but nothing will ever get done because no corporate douche will put his rep on the line to back it. Better to loan them to someone here who is good at scanning and wash your hands of it if you are feeling some pangs of guilt. Your integrity is admirable but wasted on 30 year old magazines unless you intend to sell the the compilation on disc. But congratulations on the purchase.. I continue to stalk ebay looking for the incider magazines..

Edited by dudeslife
  • Like 1

Check out this site -

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/magazines.htm

They have the Compute! library as well as three issues of Compute! for Apple. That magazine is a tough one to find.

Yeah, all of the Apple books, I put there. He has the best collection of commodore bools online that I have found. I keep hoping to find an apple scan site half as good. :)

Yes I did. Well not quite entirely complete. One of my goals in purchasing this was to actually archive them. But... I want to do as little damage as possible to them in the process.

Well as far as 'damage' physically preparing for good scanning means cutting the spines off most of the time. Just about for any bound material really, take my word for it :)

Yes I did. Well not quite entirely complete. One of my goals in purchasing this was to actually archive them. But... I want to do as little damage as possible to them in the process.

Well as far as 'damage' physically preparing for good scanning means cutting the spines off most of the time. Just about for any bound material really, take my word for it :)

I am new here but I wanted to tell you "GREAT JOB" on your website. I have never been an atari computer dude (though I do have and 800 and 800xl in my collection), but your site is giving me the fever to start hunting atari computers gear.

Edited by dudeslife

You could always build one of these.

And I would also like to track down the original publisher and get permission as well.

Why? Are you going to sell them? Get personal notoriety? Why not just scan them and anonymously put then on usenet for the good fo the commnunity? If you ask for permission, you will not get it.. Their legal department will always assume that "maybe in the future" they can make money off of back issues, but nothing will ever get done because no corporate douche will put his rep on the line to back it. Better to loan them to someone here who is good at scanning and wash your hands of it if you are feeling some pangs of guilt. Your integrity is admirable but wasted on 30 year old magazines unless you intend to sell the the compilation on disc. But congratulations on the purchase.. I continue to stalk ebay looking for the incider magazines..

Because that is not my style. I don't care about personal notoriety whatsoever. I just don't want to go through the hassle of scanning and destroying magazines with the end result being a torrent. Especially if that torrent ends up on one of the download sites like Filesonic where the uploader is making money off it.

Don't stress - they will be online soon...

• Like 2

A nice stack of Inciders popped up on Ebay (as an auction) last month and before I could even bid, the seller ended the auction. Then the next day, that Drake dude put a bunch of single issues for Buy Now at like $15 each... not a coincidence Im sure..

This auction ran its course -

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2208346080411?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220834608041&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

A nice stack of Inciders popped up on Ebay (as an auction) last month and before I could even bid, the seller ended the auction. Then the next day, that Drake dude put a bunch of single issues for Buy Now at like $15 each... not a coincidence Im sure..

This auction ran its course -

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2208346080411?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220834608041&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

that one doesnt look familiar.. I dont remember the issues being listed like that.. nice deal tho. I would have paid double that.

some dude is selling individual issues for $10 + $10 shipping.. <sigh>

Edited by dudeslife

Because that is not my style. I don't care about personal notoriety whatsoever. I just don't want to go through the hassle of scanning and destroying magazines with the end result being a torrent. Especially if that torrent ends up on one of the download sites like Filesonic where the uploader is making money off it.

I can understand that.. but realistically, no matter what you do, that's where they are going to end up.

• Like 1

I can understand that.. but realistically, no matter what you do, that's where they are going to end up.

Indeed. Someone's going to put all of ThumpNugget's Byte's into a torrent eventually, if it's not already been done. Torrents are just the most efficient way to get the most data to the most people as possible. If some third party makes some ad revenue off of it, so what? The point is preservation.