IGNORED

Remembering the Dreamcast

swlovinist

The thing I remember most: Trying to find one that works. ...I'm still looking. However, the last one I bought did have a Soul Caliber tucked away in the drive, so that was a bonus. Shenmue, some day I will play you.

What problems do you tend to have with the Dreamcasts?

I haven't been able to find one that had a laser that didn't give me trouble yet.

Are you sure it's the laser? What exactly does it do? Just flat out not read the discs, glitchy games, or constantly resetting?

I've got a "Guide to Dreamcast Games" book made by either Brady or Prima that is kind of amusing and sad, in that it specifies Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance as a "coming soon" title. That game would've kicked so much patoot on DC... still does on Xbox, but would've been a great feather in the DC's cap.

It's OK, we at least got Record of Lodoss War which is excellent in its own right, and no other platform had it. :P

I've been playing my DC some over the past few days. I never got one until about 2 months ago. When it came out, I was still loving the hell out of my N64. Man is it loud! Sounds like a 5 1/4 drive. The only thing I have for it worth a crap the some Arcade Collection game and it's so so. I have Shenmue. I put it in the see what the hype was about it. I give it :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . After waiting five minuets for some lousy cinematic (that I could not skip mind you) to tell me Dude killed my dad I finally got control of the player. Hell yeah! I took two steps and talk to some old lady and had to wait on more crap I could not skip. I turned it off. What is the point of the game? Bore you to death? Gimmie Something To Shoot! Or Kick! OR Punch! Maybe it gets good somewhere. Who knows. Looked like any other 3rd person game to me.

When the games started having all those long cinematic the game play suffered. Especially when you couldn't skip the crap. But you don't want to skip them. You might miss something. I don't want to sit through some B grade flick constructed from out of work voice over actors just so I can take 3 steps and do it again. :mad: Or even worse, have to wait on the disc to load because you walked out of a door or something and it's a dead end. How about words :idea: They work! And you can control the speed! Or just keep the cinematic simple. I really do not need 5 different angles of me spinning because the Kung Fu Master kicked me.

I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy. Disc system have pissed me off since I picked up a Sega CD when it came out. I would like to see Windows CE on the DC. That could be amusing.

B

• Like 1

The thing I remember most: Trying to find one that works. ...I'm still looking. However, the last one I bought did have a Soul Caliber tucked away in the drive, so that was a bonus. Shenmue, some day I will play you.

What problems do you tend to have with the Dreamcasts?

I haven't been able to find one that had a laser that didn't give me trouble yet.

Are you sure it's the laser? What exactly does it do? Just flat out not read the discs, glitchy games, or constantly resetting?

Well, my current one will load games up but seems to have trouble reading them and it will boot me back to the DC's dashboard.

Oh, and also.......

Why they never released DC versions of Golden Axe 4, Panzer Dragoon Saga 2, Shining Force 4, Streets of Rage 3, Nights 2....seems like easy money and great potential to me. I know they were all about letting their developers choose what they wanted to do, and that's all fine and good, but hire a GOOD team with supervision of the good grandmasters like Yuji Naka and get some of these games made. I love weird games like Jet Grind Radio, Typing of the Dead and Space Channel 5, but to sell the system to people who remember their Genesis fondly, give them titles they recognize.

This!

Is why Nintendo is still in the hardware business and Sega is not. Software titles from their beloved history.

AX

• Like 1

Oh, and also.......

Why they never released DC versions of... Streets of Rage 3

There actually was a Streets of Rage 3...

Anyway, I forget if it was for the DC or the first XBOX, but a fourth Streets of Rage was proposed by somebody within SEGA. However, it was turned down because the executives had never heard of Streets of Rage.

I hate executives.

• Like 1

Oh, and also.......

Why they never released DC versions of... Streets of Rage 3

There actually was a Streets of Rage 3...

Anyway, I forget if it was for the DC or the first XBOX, but a fourth Streets of Rage was proposed by somebody within SEGA. However, it was turned down because the executives had never heard of Streets of Rage.

I hate executives.

Yuzo Koshiro should have said something like, "Oh, you haven't? Well guess who has heard of Streets of Rage? The hundreds of thousands of gamers who bought Streets of Rage games on Sega Genesis! "

Here's an interview excerpt I just found if interested:

From SegaWeb.com http://www.consolecity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6291.html

Exclusive: demo version which Sega of America reportedly turned down due to them being unfamiliar with the series.

Sega fans worldwide were astonished at this news, with hundreds of emails pouring into our inboxes in outrage. How could Sega release slack like Zombie Revenge, and turn down a franchise that hundreds of thousands of lost casual gamers from the Genesis years remember fondly? Streets of Rage was a shinning example of Sega's ability to push the envelope, at a time when Sega's user base was at its widest. What happened to the series?

Enter Yuzo Koshiro, music composer extraordinaire and co-producer of Streets of Rage.

GamerWeb Japan: Hi, Yuzo, good to meet you. So you hope to make a new Streets of Rage game for the next generation?

Yuzo Koshiro: Yes, definitely.

GW: Any idea of a platform?

YK: I prefer Xbox, if we do.

GW: I see. When will you be pitching the project to Sega?

YK: We already did sister [Ayano Koshiro—art designer of the original characters, Actraiser and many classics—GW] designed five new characters for SoR4 already.

GW: Well we look forward to hearing more about the project, and good luck!

YK: Thanks!

Edited by Cafeman

I have a lot of trouble with that. Not that I disbelieve what you say, but given how completely Fighting Force sucked (not to even mention Fighting Force 2 which wasn't even reallya brawler anymore) I have trouble on any level calling it a sequel, spiritually or otherwise. There were no combinations whatsoever, the music stunk, the fighting was ultra lame, the items to pick up sucked. And this from a guy who LOVES brawlers, repetetive though they may be in general nature. I am too lazy to look it up at the moment, but I'm going to assume no one who worked on SoR 1, 2 or 3 significantly had a sizeable role in the Fighting Force games.... Plus I hated the attempt to bring it completely into 3d. I like polygons okay for smoothness, but should've used an isometric playfield or something.

There's a good emulator community for it. about 6 or 7 years ago, I was able to build a nice collection of emulators for the 2600, 5200, Atari 8-bit, and even Colecovision. I was actually able to finally try out all the CV games with it. I learned that a lot of those games suck too. The emulator GD roms I burned with Nero still load on the thing. I wired a 9-pin on an aftermarket controller so I can plug my atari joystick into it.

It was a really nice little system. I got mine by way of marriage. My wife's kid wanted to trade it in, so I gave him the $20 that gamestop offered him. I started collecting for it, the only piece of hardware that I never was able to get for a reasonable price was the ethernet adapter. I have a VGA adapter for it, it sits on top of my vectrex on my desk, but I never have time to use either of them...

Sega really screwed the pooch when they abandoned it. It had potential.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like this is going to be a sad year for the Dreamcast. Pretty sure it's the first year since 1999 that a new game hasn't been released for the system.

Huh? Did you mean 2011? Originally at least one of these titles was expected this year but was delayed, still something to look forward to in 2012!

http://sturmwind.duranik.com/order.htm Available in 2012 TBA

http://www.ngdevdire...3d6fa854b9f05bd This product will be in stock on Thursday 15 March, 2012.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Looks like this is going to be a sad year for the Dreamcast. Pretty sure it's the first year since 1999 that a new game hasn't been released for the system.

Huh? Did you mean 2011? Originally at least one of these titles was expected this year but was delayed, still something to look forward to in 2012!

http://sturmwind.duranik.com/order.htm Available in 2012 TBA

http://www.ngdevdire...3d6fa854b9f05bd This product will be in stock on Thursday 15 March, 2012.

I did mean 2011, that's when I made the post. Also, I have Sturmwind and Gunlord preordered. I'm really excited for them both!

Makes me sad to see the same seller asking $125 for his N64 but only $25 for his dreamcast :(

I just had a look on eBay, and it appears that the DC consoles have been selling at a higher price lately. I'm sure this will become a more desirable console in the future, and maybe all these easily available sealed games for the system will become rarities. I still open them though, games are meant to be played! :D

And on the note of the DC, I received Jet Set Radio in the mail, so I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the day.

• 4 months later...

I just jumped on the Dreamcast wagon a few weeks ago and it's already my 2nd favorite console(Behind the Nintendo 64).

Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Test Drive 6, Sonic Advenure 2! All Gaming Goodness! Not to mention all the homebrews and emulators like NesterDC and StellaDC!

Yes sir, I think Summer 2012 is going to be the "Summer of Dreamcast" for me. :grin: :-D