IGNORED

One very impressive A8 work in progress (video inside)

oky2000

With vertical split, you usually have time to read and do HITCLR. With horizontal, no way, unless you're doing something like Pong where both objects live at the extremities.

post-6517-0-98871300-1315751487_thumb.png

Something like this in a Road game where:

-> Backgr.- Green

-> PF0- White (Road Lines)

-> PF1- Gray (Road colour)

-> PF2- Left side Building /Mid-scanline change/ Right side Building

Is this possible with that 'Left and Right' side?

Problem here is that the Road would 'turn/curve' by Horizontal scrolling like in Pole Position and Elektaglide...

With Horizontal scrolling constant change is it or not?

If the objects are in reasonably constant positions and reasonably far apart, the delay becomes more flexible and you might get away with one bit of code that fits all situations.

You can change position/graphics as soon as a Player begins display. Colour change has to wait though.

With vertical split, you usually have time to read and do HITCLR. With horizontal, no way, unless you're doing something like Pong where both objects live at the extremities.

OK.

But this also wastes cycles then. It would be better to use the "hitbox" instead, because no additional calculation were needed. As you might see, the "3d" collision calculations in Space Harrier work fast and well.

If the objects are in reasonably constant positions and reasonably far apart, the delay becomes more flexible and you might get away with one bit of code that fits all situations.

You can change position/graphics as soon as a Player begins display. Colour change has to wait though.

But if I am using the Road scrolling Left and Right by Horizontal Fine Scrolling like in Elektraglide then the xPos of the Right Building would change in the it's different scanlines... Hmmm....

But you can do it because the Mid-scanline change of PF2 is on the Middle on the Line, right? If there's no PF2 in the center of Road then there's not, even any problem at which xPos of the scanline it's changing the PF2...

Edited by José Pereira

But if I am using the Road scrolling Left and Right by Horizontal Fine Scrolling like in Elektraglide then the xPos of the Right Building would change in the it's different scanlines... Hmmm....

But you can do it because the Mid-scanline change of PF2 is on the Middle on the Line, right? If there's no PF2 in the center of Road then there's not, even any problem at which xPos of the scanline it's changing the PF2...

See guys, he understands.

It is not much of a problem to change the coloros or position of PF or PM if you want to do it all the time in the middle.

As you said, as long as there is no PF2 around the middle of the screen this should work. But on has to keep in mind that you loose lots of cycles. That means you do not have much CPU left for sof sprites.

I think up to 2 soft sprites are possible in the VBLank time. As Rybags said, you have to choose. "Lots" of soft sprites or lots of colors or a compromise :)

You could also build a road with one player, showing on the left and right side of the street, having additional colours available for the rest of the graphics. The splits are at the same position as the colour splits. But this would exceed the benefit/cpu usage quota.

Sadly, Gonzo is exactly doing what I've never liked people do on the A8.

Starting projects over and over, putting all ideas onto a small plot , and stopping then, doing the next project without finishing it....

Even harder: Others name those -Gametros- "Game projects" or "Game in development" ... it's all but that .

As opposed to never starting any, but having lots of "ideas" about how other people can do their projects better?

Seriously, getting stuff done is hard enough, and then the bank wants the money they lent you for your house... :) Not that I've ever started any projects that have gotten far enough for most to take notice of! :)

Maybe someone will see that "Proof of Concept" that never got finished and build their own. At least it shows what can be done... or maybe what can't be, depending...

Edited by Shawn Jefferson
  • Like 1

Maybe someone will see that "Proof of Concept" that never got finished and build their own. At least it shows what can be done... or maybe what can't be, depending...

Proof of Concept. Either someone is building and finishing his own stuff, or someone else is still doing "proof of concepts". I've never seen someone "finishing" the proof of concept of someone else.

May "someone proof me wrong" .... ;)

Proof of Concept. Either someone is building and finishing his own stuff, or someone else is still doing "proof of concepts". I've never seen someone "finishing" the proof of concept of someone else.

Good Morning Emkay... and others.

Some people here at this side of the Earth dreaming and I was seeing 'others Proof of concept' ;)

Technoid it's very well done and the way of using the PMs get me some ideas...

But also a C64 one from an Hollywood License to have a nice colourfull Adax/Mirax Force but with 4ways scrolling.

But about me I really hope I get others to do finish my 'Proofs of Concept' :) ...

Good Morning Emkay... and others.

Morning :)

Some people here at this side of the Earth dreaming and I was seeing 'others Proof of concept' ;)

Technoid it's very well done and the way of using the PMs get me some ideas...

One Ball and one Paddle, splitted vertically. Not really usefull for a demonstration of moving many huge objects on the screen.

But also a C64 one from an Hollywood License to have a nice colourfull Adax/Mirax Force but with 4ways scrolling.

Adax, OK , it uses softwareprites. But, it makes me asking, why so many games on the A8 have the protagonist looking like he has a broom in the .... erm... you know ;)

Mirax Force is also a worse example, because it moves the enemies only horizontally.

A vertical split cost 6 cycles

A vertical movement cost at least 6 cycles * height of the object+ cleaning lines.

So a 20 Pixel high enemy needs 6x20 + moving step count , or erasing data cycles.

Which means at least 126 cycles or 240 cycles. Just for the graphics content.

But about me I really hope I get others to do finish my 'Proofs of Concept' :) ...

Well, fixed images have nothing to do with "proof of concept" ;)

One Ball and one Paddle, splitted vertically. Not really usefull for a demonstration of moving many huge objects on the screen.

It can be if it's in gets usefull to something Arkanoid related...

Adax, OK , it uses softwareprites. But, it makes me asking, why so many games on the A8 have the protagonist looking like he has a broom in the .... erm... you know ;)

Mirax Force is also a worse example, because it moves the enemies only horizontally.

A vertical split cost 6 cycles

A vertical movement cost at least 6 cycles * height of the object+ cleaning lines.

So a 20 Pixel high enemy needs 6x20 + moving step count , or erasing data cycles.

Which means at least 126 cycles or 240 cycles. Just for the graphics content.

Lets see, as the C64 sprites also doesn't look good, but I discouver the Gameboy ones...

Maybe some of the stuff doesn't get finished because they hit a brick wall by trying to push things too hard in the wrong way and things need rolling back a bit to find a new solution.

Failure isn't necessarily a bad thing - a lack of failures is because if you don't fail every now and then then you aren't pushing the boundaries

Proof of concept.... would look like this: ...

These are (of course) very interesting demos, but these aren't really finished / completed projects either.

Also in these 3 examples a lot of work is still needed to complete. At least Gonzo produced 'something' instead of nothing. What's the matter with that? I don't get your point.

By the way: I'm not a fan of all homebrew projects though. F.e. it's fun to see/hear 1-bit GTIA tunes, but I think it's a pity that instead of that noone in the 'polish' scene focusses on a full Pokey tracker. A full tracker which also focusses on the correct usage of pokey's filters. That would be really interesting. I cannot listen to a 1-bit tune for 5 minutes, then my ears are 'damaged' ;)

Proof of concept.... would look like this: ...

These are (of course) very interesting demos, but these aren't really finished / completed projects either.

Also in these 3 examples a lot of work is still needed to complete. At least Gonzo produced 'something' instead of nothing. What's the matter with that? I don't get your point.

The Demos can be turned into full working games, as i wrote.

Gonzo builds some interesting looking "gametros" which knock on borders where you cannot turn the car without driving it back for some turning distance ;)

One possibiltiy is those gr.7 ;) . Getting cycles per frame free, offers many solutions. I'm still with gr. 7 fullscreen and adjusted objects with nice animations. We'd reach much more out of it than to strangle every single cycle in Charmode.

By the way: I'm not a fan of all homebrew projects though. F.e. it's fun to see/hear 1-bit GTIA tunes, but I think it's a pity that instead of that noone in the 'polish' scene focusses on a full Pokey tracker. A full tracker which also focusses on the correct usage of pokey's filters. That would be really interesting. I cannot listen to a 1-bit tune for 5 minutes, then my ears are 'damaged' ;)

The really interesting stuff will never appear, as it seems.

Still dreaming of a Digi+Hardsynth combined Tracker ;)

http://asma.atari.org/asmadb/search.php?play=1938

This tune is interesting, because it starts as a simple POKEY tune , then it starts using digis, and when Digi-Drums + Synth gets played together, it sounds 2 classes better.

That's what you get when you don't accept PMs. Oh, I missed the part where you said the tracker has to come from polish scene :(

BTW, I can only access you old email sat the WE, if you still want to know the reason why I didn't use eMail to contact you. ;)