IGNORED

I wanna build a supergun, but I have questions.

HatefulGravey

I have done a bit of reading about superguns and the concept seems pretty simple really, so I'm going to give it a shot. I have a little bit of experience in all the things I would seem to need to get the job done but I do have a few qestions about things. I figured that the supergun is basically an arcade machine in a box so I would ask my questions where the arcade people hang out. I hope you don't mind my silly questions :D .

Stage one is certainly getting the right parts for the job. I know where I can get video incoders and all that kind of stuff and I know that I want to make a unit big enough to sit most of the boards I might use on top of the unit while they are hooked up. So I'm going to be making a larger box for this thing then some you see. Space isn't as big of an issue.

With that said power supplies are confusing me a bit. I know most people use PC power supplies with a -5v line. Most PC power supplies I see don't have that -5v any more. So, seeing as how I'm going to have the space, why not use a real arcade power supply? Happcontrols.com has them much more affordable then I'm finding good PC power supplies and they are already made to attached JAMMA too. So, watts becomes the issue. I'm getting mixed information about how many watts I should be getting into here. The main concern will be MVS boards, but I want to have the most compatability I can get my hands on. Any advice?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

You could buy a pre-made one. There are basic SuperGun PCBs on eBay with the basic needs--the JAMMA connector, power, video out, non-amplified audio out, some models even have Neo-Geo controller ports on them. They're not too expensive.

I can't be of much help though when it comes to building one from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running my MVS with 5V 2A PS, works great, came from old wireless access server.

That's what I am going to use on mine too. I read somewhere that the 5V supply has to be at least 2, maybe 3 amps depending on the board you're using. The Neo Geo MVS boards don't need the -5V lines and supposedly most of the other JAMMA boards will run without it. You can also take the 12V lines out of the equation since they are only used for the audio amplifier circuit needed for the speakers in the arcade cabinet. You may have to remove the amplifier components off of the board, I can't remember if you can leave them on there or not. It's been about a year since I read up on this stuff, and unfortunately I've kept my MVS project on the backburner for months now. :(

200 Watts is more than enough for most Jamma Arcade boards. Newer Golden tees would require more power, but neo geos run fine on 150-200 watts. The -5 is used for sound on some boards but not many the only one I can think of off hand is Capcom Bowling. The +12 is a little more important and should be included.

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=search&category=Game+Parts&subcategory=Power+Supplies

http://www.jammaparts.net/6-power-supplies

http://thearcadeboneyard.com/boneyard_game_room.php

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/