IGNORED

speech synthesis

xxl

He means a software voice synthesizer that plays back phonemes to form words, instead of sample playback. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done before.

My gut feeling is I don't think you can do this with TIA's normal frequency control. The formants in phonemes for vowel sounds are pretty strictly related to each other. If one formant is off, it sounds like another vowel. Additionally, the formants slide from one relationship to another as one vowel sound transitions to another.

It may be possible to do it with a 2 frequency soft/DPC synth.

Take this with a heavy dose of salt... I've read up on this stuff, but don't have a lot of hands-on experience.

well. isnt the atarivox proprietory? yet it still takes software. and i saw people here talking about a speak and say rom for the 2600. so maybe someone could make another atarivox like piece of hardware, except publish the schematic online so anyone can make one. if there is a custom IC then publish the info for it. maybe sell the IC raw for DIY.

Someone PLEASE correct me if wrong. It would be great to find out the atarivox is open source. Granted that would not benefit those who put into it such hard work.

though, linux is free and much better than windows. and you know such great software much require alot of work.

still, when they start selling the atarivox again im ordering a one and a melody board with speak and say

AtariVox uses the SpeakJet chip from magnevation for the speech synthesis bit. SpeakJet is a closed design, and I'm not aware of any open speech synthesis projects that would fit in an inexpensive microcontroller.

That said, rolling your own AtariVox type device doesn't take much more than buying a SpeakJet chip, reading the AtariVox developer docs, and following the SpeakJet reference designs. I did just that when I wanted to add voice to 21 Blue.

• 2 years later...

AtariVox uses the SpeakJet chip from magnevation for the speech synthesis bit. SpeakJet is a closed design, and I'm not aware of any open speech synthesis projects that would fit in an inexpensive microcontroller.

That said, rolling your own AtariVox type device doesn't take much more than buying a SpeakJet chip, reading the AtariVox developer docs, and following the SpeakJet reference designs. I did just that when I wanted to add voice to 21 Blue.

I've always wonder if it was possible to use the chip for musical purposes like a pokey or a ym2151 chip or something to that nature... It would be cool to make something like that happen; just my two cents. (Getting back to the topic of speech synthesis...)