IGNORED

This has probably already been asked but too lazy to search.

82atari5200

Sorry for sounding like a jerk, but really people, can't anyone use a search anymore? I used to enjoy this site for it's educational attributes but lately just like in the real world the lazy have taken over and it's just the same old tired posts over and over again. Like how did Gremlins get released? What's the expansion port for? Why no fill in the blank here. Colecovision rules. Oh and let's not forget the controller wars my God those never get old.

Thank You For Supporting The International Ladies Garment Workers Union

Well come on.. these systems are nearing 30 years old now, and really for every duplicated topic here on the AA forums, there were probably just as much on Usenet (e.g. on rec.games.video.classic) prior to the web exploding. So you're just going to see a natural repetition of topics as the years march on and participating people ebb and flow.

"Top 10 5200 games?" anyone? :P

Oh, we've figured it out. It's just some of us are a LOT slower to get the answer than others and won't take a hint.

HINT:

It's that they both have their intrinsic values and strengths and really, you should try both and see which you personally like best, or even better, keep both!

• Like 1

I don't mind people asking the same questions as long as it's not on the front page of any given forum. The search function is far from ideal, I recently tried searching for opinions of DKjr in the 7800 forum and just searching Donkey Kong Jr. will result in myriad of topics with nothing to do with that game, but there will be a post in the thread that it's someones favorite game.

That's just an example and maybe a bad one you may think, but that's what search is here. I also don't see harm in, for example, rehashing an age old argument like the one posited above "coleco vs 5200", because over time the membership changes, and our own opinions may change as we get a new perspective. I used to really hate my 7800 for example, I mean I really thought it was Atari's worst console, but I'm finding alot more to like about it now with my recent revival of it after deciding to give it a whirl again.

Just sayin. I hope we continue to revisit old topics and get fresh perspectives on seemingly inane things like what are the best 5200 games, because I think it's something that all of us can chime in on. I get really annoyed by any technical topics because I can't follow them...bankswitching, 16k ram, POKEY sound....I have no clue most of the time on that stuff and it makes the forum boring for me personally, so I welcome game discussions, or discussions on mechanics that I can follow or even contribute to.

Part of the experience of being on a web forum is interaction. Yes many conversations/questions have been done over and over, but so what? Searching doesn't always cut it, and besides, talking with other people is why we're here isn't it? I see plenty of redundant topics. Most times I skip them, sometimes I join. Not a big deal.

• Like 5

way to be a snobby douche bag… so a new member signs up for the forum and asks a "redundant" question, and you want to whine? Don't care for a posters thread? don't click on it or comment…

smh

That's Mr. Douche Bag to you Sir. :)

Edited by 82atari5200
  • Like 1

I would rather people (knowingly) bump old topics.

Me too, but for some reason that's a no-no. I've seen mods go borderline bat-shit over that.

The only time it bothers me is when new people bump old topics because they don't know how a forum works. But if they actually provide new input or want to re-open the discussion it's kind of cool because you get to see what older members thought vs. what the current members think.

I don't see a problem responding to a question 2-3 years later. It's there for all to read anytime anyway :D

That's what's great about a web message board. Conversations never die and can carry on as long as you want with years and years of breaks in between. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

I'm the one who posted that gremlins topic...I'm new to the site and just got oriented with how the forums work.Plus I go on the website a lot on my iPad and it's way different than using a laptop.

When you visit the site on your iPad, you can view the desktop version of AtariAge (the way it looks on your laptop) if you click on "View Desktop Version" along on the bottom edge of the page.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on what end of the learning curve you are on...

I spent roughly 10 years on a few guitar forums with the same questions being asked over and over about the same brand of guitar until i simply stopped reading the posts ,commenting or offering advice and facts.

As an old school atari fan, I know the games but never had an interest until lately with respect to the quirks , ins and outs of each system. So today I suppose I can empathize with those guitar newbs to a degree as I am sure I have asked a couple technical questions which many here take for granted.

Who really cares if someone brings up the coleco versus 5200 topic.... It's subjective at best....

If one is first getting back into the 5200, we will always have the controller questions.

To chastise them only weakens the forum by potentially chasing folks away...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sorry if this sounds rude but i don't see what the big deal is if you've already read the topic or you just aren't interested in it just don't click on it and there's people (like myself for instance) that are new members but already know a lot about Atari stuff (now im not trying to say i know everything not by a long shot in the scheme of things i dont know shit) that just like to browse older posts and learn as much as possible by seeing what people have said about this or that over time dont bash new users for making noob mistakes try to help them and explain forum etc. to them so the Atari community continues to expand instead of new users shying away because of douchebaggery if this upsets anyone i apologize that was not my intent

• Like 2