IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Game Discovered - 28 years later

sydric

I watched the video and you can totally see the strings. Fake! Not a real alien!

Aliens are not real to begin with....lol!

NO! Its totally real, they've been holding those aliens hostage at Area 52 for years!!!!

I thought scully and molder declared Aliens were never determined to be real..so they canceled the show?

• Like 1

I watched the video and you can totally see the strings. Fake! Not a real alien!

Aliens are not real to begin with....lol!

NO! Its totally real, they've been holding those aliens hostage at Area 52 for years!!!!

I thought scully and molder declared Aliens were never determined to be real..so they canceled the show?

Who?

:evil: Honestly I never watched X-Files, I was too young when the show originally aired . . .

well...X-files wasn't bad....but then David Douschebag went on to do Californication and that movie was just extreme opposites.....either way..I'm not a movie star..just wish I was...I could have been the Mikey guy...."Just give it to Mikey" "He'll eat anything!"

Just had a TV appearance today about the game - there are probably 2 more to come. Go to the bottom of the page to see it!

http://pcmuseum.ca/e...errestrials.asp

Awesome! Also, I wanted to thank you for being so cool with this situation and being so willing to share the game with the community :thumbsup:

Agreed, whenever a game like this with this type of rarity, you are inevitably going to be asked about the authenticity of it and you have handled yourself very well, even providing additional scans of the cartridge when asked. So thank you!

• Like 1

Agreed, whenever a game like this with this type of rarity, you are inevitably going to be asked about the authenticity of it and you have handled yourself very well, even providing additional scans of the cartridge when asked. So thank you!

No problem, I do understand there are people out there that make stuff up for attention or whatever. I am a genuine collector and enthusiast - like all of you (so much so that I had to start my own museum!) - and it's also the reason why I'm willing to share the information and the game and not hide it. This hobby is FUN and things like this - being able to try out a game (even if it's not the next Pitfall) and even THINK about a new game is what I think is exciting for everyone.

At the end of the day, we are in this to have fun and that's what the deal is! The other comment I wanted to make is although speculating about the value is fun... it's a moot point since we won't be selling it (so far I've only had one request to do so LOL). It's too important from a history perspective! Plus I like the fact that it might just get some of you out to the museum in person one day.

At the end of the day, we are in this to have fun and that's what the deal is! The other comment I wanted to make is although speculating about the value is fun... it's a moot point since we won't be selling it (so far I've only had one request to do so LOL). It's too important from a history perspective! Plus I like the fact that it might just get some of you out to the museum in person one day.

Well... if your museum is a registered charitable organization, the donor could be given a tax receipt for the fair market value of their donation. This would normally require the expert opinion of an outside appraiser, but the Canada Revenue Agency will accept in-house valuations up-to a specified amount. (I don't recall the the specific details; I think that the cut-off is around $5,000.)

It is also possible to get an historical object (or a collection thereof) recgonized as Certified Cultural Property, though there is a minimum fair market value before this provision can be used. This has major tax benefits for the donor, but it is a lot of paperwork for the receiving institution.

Minimally, you will need to assign a value for insurance purposes.

I'm not a tax accountant, but I worked for some 10 years in the heritage field (in two different provinces). ;-)

Completely awesome! What an unbelievable find. Yes, the gameplay looks amazingly lame, but the label art makes up for it in droves. It's like 50's diner stuff there. Thank you so much for sharing, Sydric!

I'm guessing some other copies have been found but discarded, people didn't assume they were worth anything, not knowing to check in with a real collector or AtariAge, etc. Maybe the odd shape made people think it must not have been for the 2600/ VCS, who knows. Its individuality may have caused the 50 or 100 or 200 copies to get pitched, stuffed far away in the basement, etc.

Looks fake as if it was made today.

Yes, and the whole story was made up, a game was programmed and a new cartridge type was created.

Now move along.

8)

I don't know the story doesn't add up...

The group was hoping to capitalize on the video game market that was booming at the time. They had hoped to get the game out for the 1983 Christmas season, but delays in the programming precluded that and the game missed the Christmas window. After it was finally finished in early 1984, Peter remembers taking the game out to retailers door to door to purchase copies of the game. They had no distributor, and in the end sold only a couple of hundred copies at most. By then, the video game market had collapsed.

They sold "only" a couple hundred copies. Yet nobody on Earth remembers it? Of all the Atari game collectors out there you would think someone would own a copy if there were a couple of hundred released...

LOL, in video game production terms a couple hundred qualifies as a small test production run. It would be the equivalent of producing a movie, showing it once in a single theater to a non-packed house for 1 screen time only. And expecting somebody on the planet to remember it 30 years later and let YOU know about it.

Hey guys - another news piece on the game. I was actually able to get the original programmer on the phone just as the news guy was wrapping up! (I have been trying during the work day for the past week with no luck at a number I thought was his, so I called him on the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend hoping to get him). I will be sharing some more of the info I got from him although it wasn't all that much. He's going to look to see if he has any of his old notes or source code buried in the basement!

http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111009/atari-video-game-extra-terrestial-111009/20111009/?hub=SWOHome

Hey guys - another news piece on the game. I was actually able to get the original programmer on the phone just as the news guy was wrapping up! (I have been trying during the work day for the past week with no luck at a number I thought was his, so I called him on the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend hoping to get him). I will be sharing some more of the info I got from him although it wasn't all that much. He's going to look to see if he has any of his old notes or source code buried in the basement!

http://swo.ctv.ca/se...09/?hub=SWOHome

If he still has the original source code that would be amazing! Its got to be neat as a programmer to see something you program come to light and get public knowledge and interest behind it! Looking forward to hearing further updates!

http://swo.ctv.ca/se...09/?hub=SWOHome

That's me in the orange Atari shirt. :D

• Like 1

Interesting! I just got this e-mail after the news piece ran:

"I saw the CTV news report about the recently discovered video game. I couldn’t quite believe my eyes! I not only know that game, but I grew up with it. I played it! I didn’t own a copy myself, though. The minute I heard the title, I could picture the board in my head :) I’m actually from Brantford Ontario. Went to school at PJ and BCI. Sometimes, it’s a small, small technology world. Carrie Warner"

I'll ask her if she remembers who owned it so we can see if we can track it down!

Interesting! I just got this e-mail after the news piece ran:

"I saw the CTV news report about the recently discovered video game. I couldn’t quite believe my eyes! I not only know that game, but I grew up with it. I played it! I didn’t own a copy myself, though. The minute I heard the title, I could picture the board in my head :) I’m actually from Brantford Ontario. Went to school at PJ and BCI. Sometimes, it’s a small, small technology world. Carrie Warner"

I'll ask her if she remembers who owned it so we can see if we can track it down!

:-o Please keep us informed, and ask her whether she remembers it being in a box