IGNORED

Real Atari 8-Bit Impressions

emkay

NES soundchip is pure soulless trash IMO, like cheap general midi songs today or crappy PC Roland music in the time of Amiga. DIRT! :)

I would agree with most NES music. But some tunes weren't "soulless". Particular this Robocop tune, surprised me.

Castlevania .... Batman.... Journey to Silius... outstanding stuff.

That sounds horrible on both.

NES soundchip is pure soulless trash IMO, like cheap general midi songs today or crappy PC Roland music in the time of Amiga. DIRT! :)

I would agree with most NES music. But some tunes weren't "soulless". Particular this Robocop tune, surprised me.

C64 sounds like Arpet/Minimoog/MS-10. NES just sounds like cheap non-MIDI synths under $99 from home shopping catalogues ergo rubbish IMO. Depends what kind of music you prefer....cheesy Japanese FM synthpop or early 80s pioneering experimental analogue synth music that lead the world for a decade :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAPDTRhNd3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BYv4DCqL0c

Edited by macgoo

C64 sounds like Arpet/Minimoog/MS-10. NES just sounds like cheap non-MIDI synths under $99 from home shopping catalogues ergo rubbish IMO. Depends what kind of music you prefer....cheesy Japanese FM synthpop or early 80s pioneering experimental analogue synth music that lead the world for a decade :)

SID has it's musically qualities. But, I wonder why people put so much into a sound device that has more flaws than goods ... for a synthesizer....

The huge selling amount of C64s doesn't mean SID would lead the world, as in that time people prefered to listen to real music, when playing games on the computer. It's a huge fanbase, that still lives , and possibly held alive due to the SID tunes. POKEY tunes alone really wouldn't....

btw... you like experimental music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fCjpdF69g

• 1 month later...

I wasn't too big on NES music either - but Tim Follin changed my mind :)

It's just that amazingly weak sine channel that is a deal breaker for me.

the chip I'm interested in playing with at the moment is actually the SNES SPC - that sounds and feels to me like what a successor to the SID would've been

• Like 1

the SNES Chip was quite impressive for the time and was it not done by Sony?

Yes the SPC was developed by Sony.

@sack-os: I had looked deeply into the SPC700 and AFAIK it is in no way a possible succesor to the SID. :)

The SPC uses samples (which you can manipulate with panning and i think ADSR for volume) and is not able to generate wave forms.

It would rather be the successor of the AMIGA's PAULA (but with only 4-bit differential samples) :)

However, this was years ago, so I might remember that wrong.

Edited by Creature XL

the SNES Chip was quite impressive for the time and was it not done by Sony?

I'd really like to try a conversion of some of those tunes.... just as the Axelay soundtrack, because POKEY has this needed "Brass Section sound" ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_9S70Xf7A

When I first listen this last one from Emkay I was some minutes trying to figure from what C64 game I remember this song.

When I finally remember it was Alternative's Count Duckula (sounds very good but try to play the game with the music always ON and you simply get crazy...).Yeah not the same but some parts maybe...

Anyone ever tried this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRmn57gP9Q

Edited by José Pereira

It's just that amazingly weak sine channel that is a deal breaker for me.

Don't think it's a deal-breaker (even if it is a triangle rather than sine).. Follin's tunage would say not.. Hell, even JT made it sound like the original with RC3.. And that has fuck all clever shit going on.. Check the source to see it's about the music, not the technical abilities of the machine.. Damn, even the closing part of JT's set at Assembly 2012 reminded my why we love this shit :)

(the first hour was shite though!)