IGNORED

Everdrive-MD info and questions

Yurkie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles saving doesn't work. Has anyone hacked the rom yet to make the header identify that it has a save function?

EDIT: since I am a member on sonicretro.org, I inquired about this issue on there and someone instructed me to download a hex editor and change some specific values to match those from a normal Sonic 3 rom. The result is a hacked S3&K rom that saves properly on the Everdrive as it should! Anyone who wants this fixed version just ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Been happy with mine except its inability to play my personal backup of Pier Solar. Doesn't bode well for other large homebrew.

The ED is not meant to play anything more than 5MB, and that only for SSF2. Pier Solar also uses extra hardware in the cart to keep "backups" from being usable, so don't ever think a backup will run on a flash cart, even if it could hold 8MB. So even when the MegaEverdrive comes out, it STILL won't run your backup of PS.

Edited by Chilly Willy

• 1 year later...

I just ordered an Everdrive MD and a Famicom version from Retrogate. I sure hope I don't have any problems playing roms with these carts. I don't have the brainpower or patients to get the recommended GoodGen roms for the MD. All I want to do is download a few dozen of my favorites and store them on each cart... and play them. :)

Anybody know off hand what kind of files names the roms need to be for both systems? ... file names that will work. ;)

ok... So I discovered that I can download torrent files and from there open them up, organize them, etc.

The funny thing is, I know I will never even scratch the surface of these extensive rom files, but it's amazing knowing that one little SD card is capable of holding all these games.

I opened up the Genesis/Megadrive roms and they are all .MD files. From what I am hearing, the files need to be .BIN files for the Everdrive to read them.

Is there a way I can change multiple file names at once without having to change them one by one? I can use either a mac or PC.

What you have might already be BIN files, just having been renamed to .MD for no good reason. If they're still internally BIN files, the cart will load 'em just fine. There are some tools to convert between the formats here at Zophar.net, but you might want to just delete what you've got & re-download a compatible set.

ok... So I discovered that I can download torrent files and from there open them up, organize them, etc.

The funny thing is, I know I will never even scratch the surface of these extensive rom files, but it's amazing knowing that one little SD card is capable of holding all these games.

I opened up the Genesis/Megadrive roms and they are all .MD files. From what I am hearing, the files need to be .BIN files for the Everdrive to read them.

Is there a way I can change multiple file names at once without having to change them one by one? I can use either a mac or PC.

Fire up a command prompt and in the directory with the ROMs use the rename command

C:\ren *.md *.bin

What you have might already be BIN files, just having been renamed to .MD for no good reason. If they're still internally BIN files, the cart will load 'em just fine. There are some tools to convert between the formats here at Zophar.net, but you might want to just delete what you've got & re-download a compatible set.

Yeah, I hope so. I'm assuming the .MD is (Megadrive). Each file icon is a Megadrive cartridge... So, I guess we'll see once I get the Everdrive MD and load 'em up.

Not sure if this matters but I will be using the Everdrive MD on an actual Megadrive system.

• 2 weeks later...

You will not need to rename them if you are using a modern EverdriveMD v3 and the latest (actually only..v1) OS. The .md files will detect and load fine. I can personally confirm this, as I use the No-Intro set which are all .md format. They just need to be unzipped of course, and it is always nice to organize them into folders. I usually do not surpass 200 files per folder. I know you can do more (1024 I believe) but 200 a folder seems to list them instantly.

Might as well also add that SMS games for the most part work great too (if using a model 1 or model 2 genesis or megadrive only) with the exception of a few (Wonderboy does not work, Wonderboy in monster land and Alien Syndrome require an SMS joystick or connector mod, 3d games of course due to no 3D glasses). But, again, most work great :)

As for the Famicom one...it should be the same as the N8 (NES) one. That works with .nes files just fine...unzipped again...organized in folder for faster access. Some games don't work due to missing mappers. Cheetah Men comes to mind. No loss there.

Last thing. If you use a Mac to do this the Mac will create those stupid hidden folders (unless you turned that off in finder) and you will see them when you access the card in the game system. I would just use a Windows machine to do this to avoid that.

Edited by eightbit

That's great news, one less thing to worry about. I'm still waiting for both Everdrives, they shipped about 10 days ago and are now in NY customs.

I was wondering. I have a 16gb SD card and was thinking about putting the Mega Drive roms AND NES roms onto it. You think I could use 1 card for both Everdrives?

Edited by 7800

That's great news, one less thing to worry about. I'm still waiting for both Everdrives, they shipped about 10 days ago and are now in NY customs.

I was wondering. I have a 16gb SD card and was thinking about putting the Mega Drive roms AND NES roms onto it. You think I could use 1 card for both Everdrives?

Of course! Even with variants and whatnot, the MD library is around 2GB at the extreme, NES is much less. 16GB would probably house every major cart-based rom library together at once.

Of course! Even with variants and whatnot, the MD library is around 2GB at the extreme, NES is much less. 16GB would probably house every major cart-based rom library together at once.

Nice... So using one SD card for multiple Everdrive carts wont be an issue... You can't beat that. :)