IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Sooooo.... assuming that Boulder Dash® gets some votes in the top 100 games thread...

is it categorised as a "Homebrew"... or not? Does it compete with the big boys, or the little fellas?

I don't know enough about the subject for my opinion to mean much but, to me, a homebrew is simply what is described on this site: "Homebrew cartridges are programs that were written after the demise of Atari" (although I thought there were games created by folks in their basements back in the '80s that would be considered homebrews) so Boulder Dash® would qualify. I don't look at it as competing with the big boys (of course it does!), or the little fellas; I just see it as a time period thing.

What other categories are there? Is it just "original," "reproduction," "hack," and "homebrew"?

I don't see a distinction other than the fact that the games are made after the console's shelf-life has expired. Even then, what if AtariAge became a corporation, hired the current homebrew programmers full-time, and started producing Atari 2600 cartridges as part of a resurgence in cartridge-based consoles from the past. Would we stop using the term "homebrew"? Other than a change in the label, the games are still games. There are good ones and bad ones. When the 2600 was king, there were also good games and bad games. The term "homebrew" doesn't really define the game, its author, the budget, or the time period in any meaningful way. After all, what do we call games like Extra Terrestrials, or that Red Sea Crossing game? Gamma Attack? Weren't those technically "homebrews"?

tl;dr: how about we just call Boulder Dash an awesome game that has raised the bar in Atari 2600 technical achievement and leave it at that. :)

I don't see a distinction other than the fact that the games are made after the console's shelf-life has expired. Even then, what if AtariAge became a corporation, hired the current homebrew programmers full-time, and started producing Atari 2600 cartridges as part of a resurgence in cartridge-based consoles from the past. Would we stop using the term "homebrew"?

I'd favor using the term "modern era game" as "home brew" makes me think of a game made by someone tinkering around in their basement and not something so elaborate like Boulder Dash®, Thrust and all the other awesome "home brews" that have been released through the years.

I'd suggest that it's a homebrew for a couple of reasons:

Distribution - it's not being distributed commercially. There is no advertising being done by First Star (that I'm aware of), no commercial retail presence (either physical or online), so it's being sold in the same manner as homebrews. Even games sold back in the day through mail-order in extremely limited numbers were advertised in widely distributed commercial publications with the intent of reaching a broad, public audience. 

Point-of-origin - Andrew decided to make the game, then sought First Star's approval. First Star didn't decide to create and market the game on their own, then hire Andrew to program it. Nor are they bearing the financial weight of producing the cartridges (based on what I've read here). If it were truly a commercial release, I think it would have First Star's financial backing. 

This is in no way intended to be critical of First Star - who simply could have said "no", leaving all of Andrew and Thomas's work on the shelf and us out in the cold. Nor is calling Boulder Dash a homebrew intended to in any way denigrate what's been accomplished - not just programming the game, but taking it that extra step to get First Star's permission, and following it through to the end. 

I think that calling Boulder Dash a homebrew is a kind of badge of honor for homebrews, not any sort of demotion of status from being considered commercial. Or more to the point, I don't consider being lumped in with commercial releases to necessarily be all that good of a distinction. ;) 

• Like 1

I don't see a distinction other than the fact that the games are made after the console's shelf-life has expired. Even then, what if AtariAge became a corporation, hired the current homebrew programmers full-time, and started producing Atari 2600 cartridges as part of a resurgence in cartridge-based consoles from the past. Would we stop using the term "homebrew"? Other than a change in the label, the games are still games. There are good ones and bad ones. When the 2600 was king, there were also good games and bad games. The term "homebrew" doesn't really define the game, its author, the budget, or the time period in any meaningful way. After all, what do we call games like Extra Terrestrials, or that Red Sea Crossing game? Gamma Attack? Weren't those technically "homebrews"?

No

No

No what?

No

No what?

I think he's answering the question "games like Extra Terrestrials, or that Red Sea Crossing game? Gamma Attack? Weren't those technically "homebrews"?"

No

No what?

I think he's answering the question "games like Extra Terrestrials, or that Red Sea Crossing game? Gamma Attack? Weren't those technically "homebrews"?"

I thought so, but was hoping for a bit more elaboration. Coming to a general consensus on the definition of the term "homebrew" would help answer the question a bit more.

Coming to a general consensus on the definition of the term "homebrew" would help answer the question a bit more.

From the THE VIDEOGAME STYLE GUIDE AND REFERENCE MANUAL:

HOMEBREW: Adjective used to describe software created in a non-professional capacity by amateur programmers, or the process of creating such software. Do not use homebrew as a noun

Of course, the definition of an amateur programmer would need to be clarified. Although I am a professional business application programmer, I have never programmed a game in my life, so I assume I would be an amateur programmer if I attempted one.

Edited by rolenta

No

No what?

I thought so, but was hoping for a bit more elaboration. Coming to a general consensus on the definition of the term "homebrew" would help answer the question a bit more.

short 'n' sweet.

Anyway, if they are considered homebrews, Action 52 is one for sure (or go the whole hog, just tell any company who only released one or two games they're homebrewers, be it on VCS, NES, Genesis or wotnot).

Edited by high voltage

• 2 weeks later...

If we were allowed to purchase more than 1 cart it likely would already be sold out. ;)

Sufficient time has now elapsed to allow everyone intending to buy a copy of Boulder Dash® to do so.

We have now relaxed the one-per-customer limit and are allowing purchase of a second copy, if anyone so wishes.

Cheers

A

If we were allowed to purchase more than 1 cart it likely would already be sold out. ;)

Sufficient time has now elapsed to allow everyone intending to buy a copy of Boulder Dash® to do so.

We have now relaxed the one-per-customer limit and are allowing purchase of a second copy, if anyone so wishes.

Cheers

A

Has Al been notified? I went to the pre-order page and it still says:

LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER

In order to be fair to everyone who wants to buy a copy of Boulder Dash®, we are limiting sales of the game to one per customer at this time. If you purchase more than one copy, we will only ship you one copy and refund the balance of your order. Thanks for your understanding.

Honestly, I don't consider this a homebrew, because it's officially liscensed. No matter where the money and effort came from, having a legal contract with the copyright holder is what defines the difference. But that's my opinion.

Anyway.... I'm curious how many are left. I can't afford another one right now, but I won't lie.... I'd love to have a second copy to keep in the box and have on display. :grin:

Hell, I'd even pay to have it shrink-wrapped.