IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

i still have a screen rolling issue. perhaps it's the dinosaur of a tv i'm playing on (see top post of this page). i read the part in the manual about what to set the switches to about a dozen times and i'm still getting screen roll. with the Left Difficulty Switch set to A and Right Difficulty Switch set to B, everything is fine except the BOULDER DASH title/main menu screen. any other combination i try, everything rolls.

i still have a screen rolling issue. perhaps it's the dinosaur of a tv i'm playing on (see top post of this page). i read the part in the manual about what to set the switches to about a dozen times and i'm still getting screen roll. with the Left Difficulty Switch set to A and Right Difficulty Switch set to B, everything is fine except the BOULDER DASH title/main menu screen. any other combination i try, everything rolls.

Since your TV is probably NTSC, the right difficulty switch should be set to B.

The title and main menu screen generate the same # of scanlines as all other screens (276 @ 56.96Hz). This is slightly outside the recommended 262 scanilnes @ 59.97Hz for NTSC.

Looks to me like this might just be a bit much for your TV to handle. We figured we'd be compatible with 99.9% of televisions out there. Looks like you have that rare unit that can't handle the frame rate properly.

Very sorry, if this is the case. Your options are to try a different television, or return the game for a full refund.

Cheers

A

Edit: One strange thing about that picture (above) is that the colours are a bit off. The dirt should be orange/brown, and the brickwork should be bluish, not green. If Rockford's shirt is BLUE and white stripes (like my avatar, left), then you have an incorrect TV system selected. The shirt should be RED and white stripes. If you have blue/white, then that suggests that your right difficulty switch may be faulty...? What colour is the background of the BOULDER DASH title screen? Should be blue.

yes my tv is NTSC. i think the colors are off because the tv is so old and perhaps my tint isn't set right.

anyway, i have a Vader that i can try out tomorrow morning. i'm on my way out the door to work right now.

i ain't sending this game back! is you crazy? ;)

Hey, you've got a SaveKey, one of the very few (hardly anyone bought one). :D

SaveKey, should I know what that is?

It's old. LOL

http://www.atariage....ave-key-review/

Maybe old but still very much supported Wish I could have got one at the time (or Atarivox) just something to save scores :)

oh look at what i'm doing. oh snap.

399473_10150897416571500_1035886617_n.jpg

May I have a full view picture and the make/model/year of that beauty? It looks close to my first Atari TV. Does it have a vertical hold anywhere? Even hidden in the back and maybe even require a small screw driver? Whenever I play a game that is on the edge of NTSC that rolls a little I just adjust the vertical hold a nudge and it is fixed. You just watch the screen, adjust to the exact spot that it stops rolling, and it should be fixed while still working with your other NTSC carts. Do you have any other hidden adjustments? Some of those may fix the color or the TV may need degaussed.

the tv is a General Electric (GE) model # 8-2652 with a manufacture date of May 1988. i was able to fix the color scheme by turning the TINT knob all the way to the right. i should have known it was off because the AA logo was green/white instead of blue/white.

when i tried a Vader, i could not get the trademark screen and AA logo to roll like i could with the Light Sixer. i couldn't even get the game to roll. however, the title screen still rolled no matter what the settings.

right now i'm trying to find any hidden vertical hold knobs on the back. i'm squeezing my head behind with a flashlight because if i move the thing anymore, various retro gaming consoles are going to fall to the floor.

EDIT: i found it back there. the title screen still rolls no matter what!

qbert_regex_16.png

Edited by bomberpunk

yep, it rolls continuously up/down.

I think the TV just can't cope with the signal that BD is generating. What's strange is the difference between the two consoles. They should be generating the exact same signal, but obviously even the minor differences between two NTSC consoles is enough to trip the TV into misbehaving. So... next thing is to try on a different TV....

Cheers

A

so i plugged the Light Sixer in again, moved everything back, and then inserted the game one more time just to see...

at the title screen, i started to jiggle the Left & Right difficulty switches. when i put pressure on them in a certain direction, the screen stops rolling, the background color turns from blue to red, and the music speeds up. at this point i can select my options and play the game.

freaken weird, man. now i'm bringing the Vader in the front room where our 42" flat screen is. to be continued.

EDIT: here's the continuation. i popped in the Harmony cart into the Light Sixer, fired up Pitfall, and noticed the colors were way off. so i fixed that. then i went back and put Boulder Dash in. blue title, no rolling. perhaps my Light Sixer had a short in it. who knows.

*shrugs*

everything works fine now.

thanks for all your help and suggestions.

back to the game now... :)

Edited by bomberpunk

at the title screen, i started to jiggle the Left & Right difficulty switches. when i put pressure on them in a certain direction, the screen stops rolling, the background color turns from blue to red, and the music speeds up. at this point i can select my options and play the game.

Sounds like you need new difficulty switches.

..Al

Or possibly touch up the solder on the difficulty switches. I had to do that to one of my VCS systems as a few solder joints had broken on the switch.

Easy way to test your difficulty switches is to put in Space Invaders and select game 33 which displays both laser cannons at the same time. You should then be able to reliably change the size of the cannons by using the difficulty switches.

What exactly are you seeing? Here is a Nortan virus scan report saying all is fine. http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=gamegavel.com

Who else is getting a warning? Please help me out and let me know. A screen shot of the warning would be great too. Send to socalmike@gamegavel.com.

Now back to this thread - Ya, BD is great! Glad I got one and have been playing a lot since it graced my doorstep :) Thanks to all involved for bringing this classic to the 2600 . . . FINALLY!

That url has some attack poison behind it.

I wish SOMEONE would do a review! It's been a week already.

https://www.gamegave...-over-20-years/