IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Looks like I'll have to wait another month before I can buy one (if any are still left). I have to buy a wheelbarrow this month. It's on the list of things to buy, though.

I see. Are you planning on using the said wheelbarrow to haul loot from the Alamogordo, New Mexico landfill???

Sory, I recently finished reading the epic 49 page thread about the Atari burial and remembered you (or somebody else who posted in that thread) had a trip planned down there. :rolling:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/

Edited by stardust4ever

This is my first time playing Boulder Dash as well...My review is based on that I have never played it so no idea what it is supposed to look like or play like.

Buying this game your getting a complete package of everything from the box, maunal game, and misc goodies everything all professionally done!

The 3 title screens are very good and like mentioned the music on the last stage/difficulty/players select screen is the best ever on the 2600 everything is note for note of the original(after checking the original out)

SO I started the game and found it looks really good. With the amount of stuff going on its very hard to believe its a 2600.

I really like the animated can you hurry up and do something foot tap rockford does when you dont move. The physics are right on when the boulders are falling it will blow your mind such as cave e when you fill the empty room full of diamonds and rocks when you drain it by digging up a certain rock. its really wild!!

The check out whats ahead of you in the cave feature is really cool. The game is also very addicting and hard to stop playing as you get better the more you play it and the enjoyment factor keeps going up. It is somewhat hard game at first but keep at it and you learn how things go. Also reading the manual is a good idea especially for set up for some that can not get it to work as it can do both pal, ntsc and pause features and all that important gameplay and interseting development info.

The only thing that I see slightly off and maybe have noticed with almost all 2600 games to me is that when moving Rockford vertically he stays in a sideways position and only looks straight at you when stopped. Maybe its closer to the original that way maybe a limitation? I am not a programmer so no way I would know.

Thanks to all involved on the greatest, most technical 2600 software release in history.

I tried to put this on the boudler dash game review screen but after several attempts and waiting for the please wait in green for 3 mintues at the top of the screen gave up......

• Like 1

Thanks for your very detailed review. Maybe you can try again to post it to the store.

The only thing that I see slightly off and maybe have noticed with almost all 2600 games to me is that when moving Rockford vertically he stays in a sideways position and only looks straight at you when stopped. Maybe its closer to the original that way maybe a limitation? I am not a programmer so no way I would know.

Both! :)

In the C64 original, Rockford moves exactly like that. Nevertheless we had a dedicated moving up/down graphic in the game. But due to the bank switching we use, the space for graphics was very limited. And therefore we decided to take it out for some other animation (IIRC the Rockford waiting animation).

Thanks for your very detailed review. Maybe you can try again to post it to the store.

Both! :)

In the C64 original, Rockford moves exactly like that. Nevertheless we had a dedicated moving up/down graphic in the game. But due to the bank switching we use, the space for graphics was very limited. And therefore we decided to take it out for some other animation (IIRC the Rockford waiting animation).

The original is on Atari, C64 is a conversion, just to put the record straight

Got it in front of me. Finally ;)

German n4zi customs waited roughly a month 'til i was informed yesterday that I had to pay a tax fee to get hold of my package.

That meant a one hour drive through town and a fee of 13,01€ ( ~16 US$) which is not as high as I expected it to be.

For my german colleagues: Resistance is futile! No way of evading that tax, at least in my case...

The design is unfortunately not my cup of tea at all, but I' m sure that will be all 'negativity' comin' from me!

Glad I was able to get it before work and definitely looking forward to be playing it tonight...

Thanks to each and everyone involved in creating this, you know you made a lot of people happy!

German n4zi customs waited roughly a month 'til i was informed yesterday that I had to pay a tax fee to get hold of my package.

That meant a one hour drive through town and a fee of 13,01€ ( ~16 US$) which is not as high as I expected it to be.

On my side, Belgian customs tought that 13 euros was not enough, they asked 29.70 ! The better thing besides, is that I hadn't to wait 1 month, nor had to go to see them, as this is the postman who claims the fee.

Has any french people ordered this cartridge ? I'd like to know how it happened about customs in France.

I'd love to give it a proper review but something says I need to make it further than the third cave! :lol: :ponder:

I wish SOMEONE would do a review! It's been a week already.

All we're getting is "am keeping it in the plastic"..,. or, "It's arrived but don't have time now... will play it tonight, can't wait"... and then they disappear of the face of the planet.

Cheers

A

Maybe its like Tron... they get home, plug it in... and get sucked into the game...forever

There's another review up in the store...

http://atariage.com/...ct_detail&p=999

What?

An "abridged" version of the title music?

It's exactly the same title music, every single note is there. The frequencies of each and every note were taken from the actual SID values from the C64 version.

Oh, no, that's my bad. I was sure there was a different interlude that played after repeats of the main theme (like an AABA structure), but I just listened to the original C64 version again, and you're (of course) absolutely right. I must have been thinking of one of the zillion remakes of the theme. Albert, if it's possible to change "an abridged version of the" to "the entire", that would be great.

Did get my copy today and i really can't believe how great the game turned out to be!

Justed want to say "Thank You"!

Thomas and I really enjoy the feedback that we're finally getting now that the game is released. I'm delighted you are happy with the game, and appreciate the "thank you". I watch out just about every day to see if there are new reviews, and I would like to encourage you to post a review in the store. That's the real way to thank us!

• Like 1

Thomas and I really enjoy the feedback that we're finally getting now that the game is released. I'm delighted you are happy with the game, and appreciate the "thank you". I watch out just about every day to see if there are new reviews, and I would like to encourage you to post a review in the store. That's the real way to thank us!

/signed

But be honest, please. If you don't like something, please tell us.

It came up:

Reviewer: Mark Tryon

07/20/2012 06:44am stars-5-0.gif

This game really pulls off some amazing features the programmers back in the 70-80's probably never thought this system could pull off. The physics is incredible for the Atari 2600. Probably has the smoothest graphics I seen, nice controls, and is VERY addictive!

It's definitely worth picking up, you will not be disappointed.

Tom

However it cut out the last part...odd :(

Was supposed to say:

Tom & Andrew have risen the bar in homebrew standards :)

It came up:

Reviewer: Mark Tryon

07/20/2012 06:44am stars-5-0.gif

This game really pulls off some amazing features the programmers back in the 70-80's probably never thought this system could pull off. The physics is incredible for the Atari 2600. Probably has the smoothest graphics I seen, nice controls, and is VERY addictive!

It's definitely worth picking up, you will not be disappointed.

Tom

However it cut out the last part...odd :(

Was supposed to say:

Tom & Andrew have risen the bar in homebrew standards :)

Thanks for the review, Mark! I posted that I couldn't see it, but then it was there... so I deleted my post :)

It would be nice, wouldn't it, to get some reaction of '80s 2600 programmers. Of course, these days we have the benefit of great tools/editors and a community of knowledge to draw on.

Cheers

A

Sure, and most important, no aim for quick earnings ! That's not the same when the programmer is given financial constraints.

True enough. We had the luxury of time.

But just to put it in perspective... HAD we programmed and released this game in the '80s we would, no doubt, both be multimillionaires.

My take-home was um... way less than a thousandth of that! For probably a hundred times the work.

Such is life.