IGNORED

Any homebrewing takers for a multi-console concurrent development homebrew?

Cafeman

Playing Bob's Moon Cresta reminded me of something I'd thought of earlier concerning vertical shooters from the Atari days. It would be cool for 3 (sets of?) people to all develop the same homebrew idea , for 2600, 5200/A8, and 7800. And a shooter would be simple enough and fun enough that we wouldn't have to devote TOO much time to such a project.

Any homebrews interested in talking publicly about such an idea? If we agree to the same idea and general game design, then we could set a goal date several months or more in the future, perhaps with monthly check-ins where we'd post at the least a screen shot or picture for everyone to see and comment on.

One idea I had toyed with was an homage to Activision's MegaMania. Now, since that game seems itself to be an homage to Sega's Astro Blaster, and to avoid Activision involvement, I was thinking of calling the game something that aludes to that game ("Astro.Blast.MMS?" MMS = MegaMania sequel). Waves of nonsensical things coming down the screen each with an initially maddening pattern. My ideas had classic sci-fi images like Creature (black lagoon) heads, a couple classic UFO and spaceship images, also Mr. Yucks and other things.

If any homebrewer wants to talk about such a potential project, reply here, we'll see where it goes. The thing that would be neat is seeing how the different versions turn out compared to each other. We could share some assets like sound and graphic data or other code methods to speed things up and keep the games seeming similar in play. If no interest is shown, I may develop the game anyway after my current project which I'm trying to button up now.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, I will need to check out Edge Grinder tonight when I get home. Looks like it was completed and reviewed already.

Posting this in the AA forums, I wasn't thinking about 16-bit or higher. I was thinking of 2600/5200/A8/7800 versions. I have always wanted to do a simle but fun vertical shooter ala Megamania or Phoenix or River Raid.

• 2 weeks later...